Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #21

Pedro has been a "class act" to me, a lone Canuck lost in Florida not too long ago! I have his HID and am happy with them. Not to say anything bad about any members on this forum. They all been most helpful. I would hope that anyone thinking of purchasing any product would do research on these. Thanks particlewave for telling me about other products as well.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #22
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I like my duck, roasted with orange sauce.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #23
Track rat

Garage
Well, enterprising businessmen have been re-branding and re-selling at a markup for at least 3000 years. No rebranding disclosure required and totally legit in my book. Caveat Emptor. Porsche, Proctor and Gamble, Miller Brewing, Budweiser, Pelican Parts, are just the tip of a very big re-branding iceberg.

I appreciate both Pedro and Particle for there thoughtful contributions in this forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose.

My opinion on this thread:

Pedro- 1

Particle- 0

:chicken:

Last edited by Topless; 04-26-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltusler View Post
How about this with no other proof to back it up?

The technoFix DOF is newly patented technology which we now keep in stock, ready to ship.
that's actually this piece sold by tuneRS ...

http://shop.tunersmotorsports.com/?product=direct-oil-feed-dof-97-05-early-style

would that be called rebranded unsubstantiation?

or unsubstantiated rebranding?

Last edited by The Radium King; 04-26-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #25

Particlewave...Oh the irony...

you claim to not know him and have nothing against him but everything you have posted suggests otherwise. Please take a class in economics to learn how things work...you really think he is the only person rebranding products made by a common manufacturer? How many times have you heard of "porsche" branded products that cost more in the porsche labeled box even though they are the same as the oem branded product? Have you sent a message to porsche asking why their products are more and why they are superior? You really seem to care little about getting answers to your supposed questions and instead care more about ruining his credibility and business. Don't you sell some form of light kit as well or am I thinking of someone else? Could that be part of the reason for these attacks? I can't say I would buy anything from you if that was the case based on your childish actions. Are we really supposed to believe that you have the 986 communities interests at heart when you make posts like this?
Old 04-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #26

Pedros website says:

Quote:
I've been working on a new and very affordable , easy to use, OBD-II Diagnostic Tool for Porsche.
Maybe it's my bad english skills, but to me that sounds like he says he has developed it. To me that would be misleading, because it's a generic tool.

But everybody can decide where to buy and at which price. And i'm pretty shure there are people that will buy the product at his higher price, because they like his products in general and aren't on a budget when it comes to their Porsche.

I personally would always only buy at the best price. That's something i've learned from people that really don't have to care about a dollar, but always take care about their outgoings.

Just my 2 cents

Regards, Markus
Old 04-26-2016, 10:25 PM   #27
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
Don't you sell some form of light kit as well or am I thinking of someone else? Could that be part of the reason for these attacks?
Nice try, but I don't sell anything, pal.
I have never once offered a product for sale...ever.
As a matter of fact, every mod I've done to my car has been accompanied by a DIY so that our members can do it themselves. All free, but again, nice try.
All I've ever done on this site is try to help people save time, work and money.
I'm 37 and retired, so you really don't want to get into a debate about economics with me, smurf.
Besides, we are actually discussing unethical business practices, so quit with the sad attempts at misdirection before I am forced to make a fool of you.

What's this all about? I can't stand liars, especially those that lie in an attempt to profit from others.

Quite frankly, I don't care what the few think. Pedro outright lied on his board, claiming that this was some new product he developed and then marked it up $75 from the real deal. This is a pattern of behavior with him (not the first time) and anyone with a brain and fingers to operate a keyboard can check.

If he comes out and admits to lying, after being caught red-handed, I might consider deleting my posts. Otherwise, this thread and my opening statement will stand as record and be updated regularly.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-26-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:49 AM   #28

Really dude? You are 37 and already sound like an angry old man. Maybe you should unretire your self and find other things to do than save the members of the board $20. Let me get this staight if you don't manufacture a product but sell it you are an evil rebrander? I could care less if the product is identical to icarsoft or not, I don't think he owes you or anybody an explanation. Why don't you call him and find out if you really are so intrigued by this.

BTW " heads up" I don't mind. This I do

Last edited by goldsc_78258; 04-27-2016 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:53 AM   #29

Not all of us have the time to research every purchase we make. I find something I like, maybe read a review or two and buy it. It would irritate the Hell out of me to find I'd been taken advantage of by a popular vendor. I certainly appreciate the "heads up".
Old 04-27-2016, 04:04 AM   #30

particlewave- not the hero 986forum wants, the hero 986forum needs
Old 04-27-2016, 04:22 AM   #31

I like to know what I'm buying. The more information, the better. I don't assume every businessman is honest, that's why I use google a lot. Not all people do.

Regarding Pedro's way of selling this product, there are some phrases that stand out a bit:
"I am truly excited to make the following offer available just for PedrosBoard members and friends."
"I've been working on a new and very affordable , easy to use, OBD-II Diagnostic Tool for Porsche."
"This new tool will be sold for $250.00.
I think I'll call it the TechnOBD-II Diagnostic Tool."

These are all sentences that lead you to believe that this is an entirely new product, developed by Pedro himself and sold at a bargain price. If it actually is a rebranded product, previously created by someone else, this is what I would personally consider false marketing.

I think particlewave has a very valid point.

I wish I too was 37 and retired. Alas, I'm 45 and still working... :P
Old 04-27-2016, 04:24 AM   #32
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Personal vendetta? You're kidding, right?

As far as helping others on this forum, that's about all I do. The reason he was called out is because he's had more than a month to reply to considerate and polite inquiries about the rebranded iCarsoft, but chose to ignore them.

You keep defending the tactics discussed, mentioning the markup issue, but completely ignore the real issue that I'm addressing: purposeful deceit by one of our members for the sole selfish purpose of making a profit off of unsuspecting owners.
Therefore, you have been deemed unworthy of future response since you have shown that protecting the interests of those seeking to profit from ignorance are more important than helping our community.
Well, seems Pedro deemed you unworthy, so seems you two are even.

Do you or this Pedro guy own any cats? If so, I'd like to weigh in......

Last edited by Timco; 04-27-2016 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:29 AM   #33

I've got one question. Did Pedro at any point advertise this on the 986 forum? If not what caused the wrath of our retired hero?
Old 04-27-2016, 04:45 AM   #34
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Nice try, but I don't sell anything, pal.
I have never once offered a product for sale...ever.
As a matter of fact, every mod I've done to my car has been accompanied by a DIY so that our members can do it themselves. All free, but again, nice try.
All I've ever done on this site is try to help people save time, work and money.
I'm 37 and retired, so you really don't want to get into a debate about economics with me, smurf.
Besides, we are actually discussing unethical business practices, so quit with the sad attempts at misdirection before I am forced to make a fool of you.

What's this all about? I can't stand liars, especially those that lie in an attempt to profit from others.

Quite frankly, I don't care what the few think. Pedro outright lied on his board, claiming that this was some new product he developed and then marked it up $75 from the real deal. This is a pattern of behavior with him (not the first time) and anyone with a brain and fingers to operate a keyboard can check.

If he comes out and admits to lying, after being caught red-handed, I might consider deleting my posts. Otherwise, this thread and my opening statement will stand as record and be updated regularly.
Lol. Look at me!! I'm 37 and retired! Nice infomercial. Boy, I wish I was you..

One man's quest I guess. Is the hill you want to die on? Some almost nobody's website? Isn't there a pot hole in your town you could lobby to have filled? An intersection that needs a stop sign? I think this board got your messages, from Pedro to look at me I'm retired at 37. Oh, you're the engineer. Yes, we know you're quite something. All us lowly rats will be at work today while you wax your car and find internet justice for us all.

Rebranding? See it all the time. Dozens of boilers use the EXACT same heat exchanger, put a different color jacket on it, and call it Triangle or HTP or Munchkin and so on. NOBODY boasts about the Giovani heat exchanger. They ALL brag it's their own. Now, they do say they "developed the boiler" and "created it to meet our high standards" and so on, but they never credit the mfg or inventor of that heat exchanger.

Yes, this Pedro guy went too far. He developed zero. His description was misleading. The correct approach to what he's doing is the Trader Joes approach. The "we searched the world and brought you the best product we could find" approach is honest, then them rebranding to their trade name isn't any big deal. Trader Joes won't tell you where they buy those chocolate / peanut butter cups...or who actually makes them so I can buy them cheaper.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:57 AM   #35

PW...you obviously have some issues with rebranding products

...at least assuming that Pedro is doing so. If you have so much free time on your hands, why don't you go after Porsche and their reboxed products like I suggested...you claim it is unethical?

In the evidence that was submitted, I do not see any lies...careful marketing verbage perhaps. There is nothing wrong with trying to make money, not everything has to be a free DIY and Pedro IMO has done more than his fair share to support the 986 community with the DIY and instructional information on his website. FWIW I have never met, spoke with or purchased anything from Pedro so I have no reason for bias.

I apologize as I must have got you mixed up with someone else on here that was selling the projector light kits or something similar.

I am not sure why you have such a Vendetta against the guy and why would you follow his board and postings if you do not like what he sells, his business practices, etc.?
Old 04-27-2016, 05:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
In the evidence that was submitted, I do not see any lies...careful marketing verbage perhaps. There is nothing wrong with trying to make money, not everything has to be a free DIY and Pedro IMO has done more than his fair share to support the 986 community with the DIY and instructional information on his website.
You are completely correct in that there is nothing wrong with making money. However, I would like to point out the sentences quoted below, that may very well be considered lies and not "marketing verbage".
"I've been working on a new and very affordable , easy to use, OBD-II Diagnostic Tool for Porsche."
No, he did not. He might have been working on finding a new diagnostic tool. There is a difference.
"I think I'll call it the TechnOBD-II Diagnostic Tool."
Rebranding is fine, but combined with the previous quote, this creates the apperance that this product is entirely new and has never been on the market before.

Just like you, I have never dealt with Pedro. I've read a couple of his articles and have found them to be quite useful. I still think that this is dishonest. Pedro might very well be a great guy, who was overly enthusiastic and made an honest mistake. The correct way of handling this is to simply say "You're right. I made a mistake and I will correct it." Then this would not be an issue.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #37

free Pedro

What about his website? No charge for all that free help. Also I was at Sebring last year and I was talking to a random person that lived in his area. I asked if he new Pedro?He lit up and said oh yea!When I first got the car and moved here I had an after hour problem and Pedro opened up and helped me for at least 2 hours and insisted NO CHARGE. Did you know he only works on 1 car at a time. Maybe he said those things out of excitement and he truly was working on it. Pedro does not strike me as the deceitful type. Call him he will answer. No dodging calls or screening. I know where he is and what he looks like. Particle wave......I feel you have to much time on your hands. Get whatever part you want from Pedro and I will pay the difference. With all the ripoff sites find another to point fingers at. I will buy the tool from Pedro but if I tell him I only need it for 1 time he would just loan it. This is my first and only Forum, never did like all the trash that gets talked from a keyboard somewhere in the U.S. Shoot, Particle doesnt even list a state.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:43 AM   #38
Side Porsche

Old 04-27-2016, 05:46 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Hahaha!

I won't address any more defenses of his tactics, so no showdown.
My post was meant more to be informative. All of the information should be weighed by any individual in order to make an informed decision about buying marked up products. High markup is a thing of the past, thanks to the Internet. A bit of searching will get you to the source and cut out most, if not all, of the middle men.

If he were not a member here, seeking to profit from other unsuspecting members, this would never be an issue.
Vendors don't get the treatment because they don't masquerade as members with your best interests in mind. He got caught lying. Get over it.
All right, all right, then I'll watch "Tombstone" instead.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:52 AM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Lol. Look at me!! I'm 37 and retired! Nice infomercial. Boy, I wish I was you..

One man's quest I guess. Is the hill you want to die on? Some almost nobody's website? Isn't there a pot hole in your town you could lobby to have filled? An intersection that needs a stop sign? I think this board got your messages, from Pedro to look at me I'm retired at 37. Oh, you're the engineer. Yes, we know you're quite something. All us lowly rats will be at work today while you wax your car and find internet justice for us all.

Rebranding? See it all the time. Dozens of boilers use the EXACT same heat exchanger, put a different color jacket on it, and call it Triangle or HTP or Munchkin and so on. NOBODY boasts about the Giovani heat exchanger. They ALL brag it's their own. Now, they do say they "developed the boiler" and "created it to meet our high standards" and so on, but they never credit the mfg or inventor of that heat exchanger.

Yes, this Pedro guy went too far. He developed zero. His description was misleading. The correct approach to what he's doing is the Trader Joes approach. The "we searched the world and brought you the best product we could find" approach is honest, then them rebranding to their trade name isn't any big deal. Trader Joes won't tell you where they buy those chocolate / peanut butter cups...or who actually makes them so I can buy them cheaper.
Well said timco.

Closed Thread