Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Is Durametric cable needed for 2001 Boxster?

I have a 2001 Boxster. My friend wants me to chip in with him on buying a Durametric cable and software, which allows resetting of service reminder lights.
So far, after 42000 miles, I have never seen a "service needed" or "service now" light, only a "brake wear" light that went out after I replaced the front pads and wear sensors myself.
Would the Durametric equipment do me any good?
Thanks for any advice.

David Wildrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #2

You must be the luckiest boxster driver alive.

You can use most OBD2 readers to get basic codes, but it's damn handy for diagnosing a lot of issues.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
I owned my Boxster for 10 years and never felt the need for the Durametric. A pocket reader served me well the few times I got a CEL.

I probably could use the software for my 2009 Cayman but I understand the latest Durametric Enthusiast is very limited on 987.2 cars and cannot even reset the airbag light. I'm not interested enough to get the pro version. $$$$$
Old 03-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Going halvsies on a Durametric is not a huge outlay. As Flaps10 said, you are lucky not to have had any problems on a 15 year old car. I guess it depends on how much you want to know about your car and how you feel about getting your hans dirty. Some people wrench, some just drive. I like to do both.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:58 AM   #5

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I didn’t say I had no problems with the car over the years, just that I’ve never seen a service reminder light except “brake wear.” What I’m really asking is whether in 2001 the Boxster had lights that nag you to do oil changes, etc., which I believe are present on later models.

So when did that start?

I bought this car in 2005 with 17,000 miles on it and a 2-year dealer warranty. The rear main oil seal was replaced by the dealer on warranty during the last month of that warranty.
I bought an OBD code reader when I got a CEL, several years ago. Turned out to be the AO separator, which (thanks to Randall Neighbor) I got replaced by a Porsche mechanic in Houston who moonlights out of his house. I also had the water pump replaced about 7 years ago by a different independent mechanic.

However, I have done some work on the car myself other than the front brake pads: I replaced the plastic part of the ignition switch 5 years ago, I cleaned the mass air flow sensor, and I do my own oil/filter changes. I also own 2 Porsche 356 coupes, which I do all the mechanical work on. I’m just not that familiar with 986s.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:14 AM   #6
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Please post pic's of the 356's, when you have a chance.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:23 AM   #7

You'll buy in the first time you have an air bag light and find out that most places can't extinguish it. Far more important than a service reminder light is the use of Durametric as a diagnostic tool.

Two beeps from your alarm when you walk away? Durametric

Trying to find out why you get SAI error codes? You can sit in the drivers seat and turn on the air blower and trigger the electric changeover valve to verfiy they work without even getting your fingers dirty.

Want to know how your car was treated before you bought it? Your car knows how many times the tach was in never never land.

Worried about the health of that slinging mess of chains, plastic ramps and solenoids we call a valve train? Plug in and read your cam deviations.

It's not amazing software. It really is pretty damn limited when compared with VCDS for the Volkswagen or TuneECU that I use on my Triumph motorcycle. But it's the only game in town available for us mere mortals with limited means.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wildrick View Post
What I’m really asking is whether in 2001 the Boxster had lights that nag you to do oil changes, etc., which I believe are present on later models.
No.

Based on your statements, I would say that the Durametric is not a good fit for you.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
You'll buy in the first time you have an air bag light and find out that most places can't extinguish it. Far more important than a service reminder light is the use of Durametric as a diagnostic tool.
Thanks, Flaps10,
Sounds like it could be worth it to figure out what the OBD codes really mean, as well as having the ability to reset indicator lights, etc.
My friend has a Boxster and a Cayman, both 2011+, so mine will be the third car on the Durametric, as they only allow 3 VINs to be in use at one time. I'll be paying one third of the cost.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Please post pic's of the 356's, when you have a chance.
My main hobby cars:
1965 356C coupe (guards red)

1964 356C coupe (GMC ultra-silver, lead car on left)

Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
No.
And, if the original poster should check his owners manual, he'll find nothing on "service soon" lights. The bulb check before start reveals much the same.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #12

Nice. Is that J-3 yours too?
Old 03-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
Nice. Is that J-3 yours too?
Nope, the shot of the red car was taken in 2008 at the Porsche 356 Registry East Coast Holiday held near Lancaster, PA, at an antique plane air strip in 2008--thus, the vintage airplanes (J3, etc.) and car in the background. While we lined up our cars for the people's choice concours, they were giving rides to the crowd in a crop duster biplane until some heavy rain set in.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #14

There is a new entrant in the Porsche diagnostic products race. Pedro is offering it over on his forum. Lots of claims. No independent feedback yet. Time will tell how its support stacks up compared to the Durametric.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
There is a new entrant in the Porsche diagnostic products race. Pedro is offering it over on his forum. Lots of claims. No independent feedback yet. Time will tell how its support stacks up compared to the Durametric.
you got a link?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #16

@JayG - a lot of promisses: Hot - Hot - Hot ...

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #17

At 130K with basically a trouble free car, I'd still like to have a durametric to keep an eye on cam deviation angles.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:06 AM   #18

Quote:
He is reselling the iCarsoft Porsche unit, which you can already buy on Amazon for the same "deal" price. Last time I looked at it, the unit could not code, activate systems, or read cam deviations, amongst other short comings when compare to the Durametric system. Only advantage I saw was it was stand alone (no laptop needed).
Old 03-09-2016, 04:12 AM   #19
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Nothing new about it
It's the iCarsoft PORII i960 and it sells for about $180. Why he is trying to sell them to unsuspecting buyers for $250 is beyond me, but it may be related to his selling $20 HID kits for $200!

Porsche Diagnostic Scanner Tool SRS ABS Engine Brake Reset Icarsoft Porii I960 | eBay

Last edited by particlewave; 03-09-2016 at 04:15 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:14 AM   #20

Thanks particlewave and JPA. I knew i knew this unit, but couldn't remind the name.

I think at the moment there is nothing better than Durametric on the market. Maybe some day somebody with knowledge will have a lot of time and a OBD port sniffer and will get more out of the cars.

Regards, Markus

Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote