Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

Advice for first-time convertible owner?

I purchased my 2000 Box last winter, and immediately put it in storage with my indie awaiting a long to-do list of upgrades and repairs. It now looks like I'll be able to pick up my toy in another week or two. With the weather turning nice here in New England, I found myself daydreaming about driving with the top down.

And then I realized I've never owned a convertible.

I purchased the car in the dead of winter, and although I checked the top to make sure it worked properly, I never had the chance to drive it top down before she went into the shop. When I wrote the check, I made an assumption: this car was such a joy to drive with the top up, it had to be twice the fun with the top down.

So, now I'm wondering if you experienced drop-top drivers have any hints or tips for living the topless life. I have a very short, 20 minute commute to work, so I plan to use my car as a daily driver, as well as PCA events on the weekends.

Since I live and work on the shoreline, I fear I'll be a tempting seagull target....

Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #2

Garage
Drains, Drains Drains!!! Check often and make sure all are clear. Buy the covers for the rear drains. I think Woody has said 50% of the cars he gets have been totaled from water damage. And yes I do not leave my top down unattended when Seagulls are around.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Put on sunblock, be prepared for glare on the digital speedo, and try to avoid a case of permagrin!

EDIT: +1 for what 911Monty mentioned.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
+1 on the sunblock.
Having only scalp, I heartily recommend a minimum SPF 30.
A good pair of shades helps with glare and the cool factor and don't fret about the permagrin.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

Boxster chop window when putting down. Thread lightly if cold.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #6

Having a similar climate to you my reco is to not shy away from driving it top down when it is a bit cold. I just put a warm coat on, a toque, and crank the heat and you can get a nice little cocoon of heat around you. Even with the windows down it can still get it nice and toasty (personally I never drive the car with the top down but windows up). There's a great deal of appeal to open top driving in spring and fall out there to be had.
Enjoy.
Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #7

My first convertible was a couple years ago--a Mercedes SLK--and I was really uncomfortable running top down. I felt I should be wearing my motorcycle helmet. Maybe I've gotten used to it or something, but haven't felt that way in the Boxster. Just in town so far ... looking forward to some mountain roads. Recommend the wind deflector and the roll bar screens.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Drains, Drains Drains!!! Check often and make sure all are clear. Buy the covers for the rear drains. I think Woody has said 50% of the cars he gets have been totaled from water damage. And yes I do not leave my top down unattended when Seagulls are around.
No kidding! I've seen multiple posts about wet immobilizers, wet carpet, fried electronics, etc. I'll be checking the drains religiously. Great advice.

I hate seagulls.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #9

This is great! I've got the Californians recommending sunscreen, and the Canadians wearing toques!

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 04-25-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
My first convertible was a couple years ago--a Mercedes SLK--and I was really uncomfortable running top down. I felt I should be wearing my motorcycle helmet.
As a former motorcycle guy, I think I can relate. I gave up bikes, thinking this car would give me the same sense of freedom.

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 04-25-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:01 AM   #11
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
This is great! I've got the Californians recommending sunscreen, and the Canadians wearing toques!
Here in Western Canada where we get a ton of sun AND cold I recommend wearing sunscreen AND a toque.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #12

Garage
Much good advice here.

For colder weather (50s F), I park the rear plastic window towards the sun a bit before I drive. This softens it so I can put it down

Use Convertible care products (cleaner, Water repellent) each year. I have used RaggTopp but there are others that do the same

Last edited by kk2002s; 04-26-2016 at 06:26 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #13

Always keep a hat in the car. I always have one hidden behind the passenger seat so it's easily reachable. It's not just the sun on your head - but the sun in your eyes that can be a pain. When the sun is high overhead, it sneaks in behind your sunglasses.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #14

One time I left my top down to run into a store and straight back out. Wasn't in there for more than 3 minutes.

Got back and saw that some envious turd spat out their gum on my brand new floor mat.

Advice: Never EVER leave your top down when the car will be unattended.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #15

Garage
At a Red Light:
Don't look in the mirror to see what your hair looks like
Don't pick your nose

Carry a hair brush (If you have longer hair)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #16

Garage
+1000 on the sunblock.
+1000 on keeping a hat with you. In my area, I get stuck for trains often and you are fine when you are moving around, but on a hot sunny day when you get stuck for a train, you can really feel the heat on your dome.

And it does suck that you have to keep your fingers out of your nose.

Other than that, it's pretty amazing and I can't see any reason why anybody would not not own a convertible. Unless you are a habitual nose picker I guess.

Concerning bird droppings, I'm on the fence on whether it it easier to clean from the seats or the top. I've had some messes both ways.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
+1000 on the sunblock.
Concerning bird droppings, I'm on the fence on whether it it easier to clean from the seats or the top. I've had some messes both ways.
The droppings are a concern. The hardened projectiles dropped from 60 feet are worse.

I live and work directly on the water, so the seagulls are as thick as mosquitos. One of their primary food sources, other than your picnic lunch, are clams that they dig up on the beach.

Guess how they open the clams.

You can make a fortune here with a paintless dent repair business. I may actually be better off with my soft top!
Old 04-27-2016, 05:52 AM   #18

Garage
Since you will have a case of constant Permagrin keep your head inside the car, while driving, so you don't get bugs on your teeth.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #19
Shacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
At a Red Light:
Don't look in the mirror to see what your hair looks like
Don't pick your nose

Carry a hair brush (If you have longer hair)
If anyone wants to watch me pick my nose it's their problem
shacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #20

Yes. Don't get caught speeding on that fun twisty road which is notorious for having police sitting and waiting for us on a specific weekend morning and you forget it's that day and morning.