Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

23 Y/o New Owner!

Hey there 986 forums Porsche Family!

I am now an owner of a 2005 Boxster Base, Dark Gray. I understand this is 986 forums but it seems to be the most active forum for older boxster owners. I hope I am welcome here.

My name is Adam, I'm from the Seattle area but have spent time in Cali and TX as well. I learned to drive on a 98 Integra, bought a brand new Brz a few years ago, crashed it, bought this 2005 Boxster from Jim Ellis Porsche Atlanta.

Yes I got a 3 year 36 aftermarket warranty.

I don't know much about cars at all to be honest, but that's okay, I'm a pretty smart lad. I have learned very much from the internet and talking to many mechanics already (without paying them a dime- such that their insight and advice should have been unbiased)

I will be posting some pictures later when I get off work and can figure out how these forums work.

The vehicle came feeling as if the previous owners, one more so than the other had really put some love into it. Aftermarket exhaust that isnt obnoxious, black stone guards, probably a second or third clutch that feels great right now, engine sounds amazing, dealership had put fresh rubbers on it, the spoiler has been replaced, oh yeah. People have told me that it looks brand new.

Nice to meet all of you

AmongstEnemies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
Side Porsche

I'll welcome anyone with a good attitude that wants to learn or teach. Love this forum and the people here. Car sounds great can't wait to see the pictures!

Also the 05 is different but it still is close enough that most of the information here is the same with repairs and such.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #3

Hi AE. Welcome to the forum. 987 owners are certainly welcome to contribute.

Not to start right off about IMS, but 2005 was a transition yr for Porsche. Sometime midstream in 2005, Porsche went from a smaller, replaceable IMS to a larger, basically non-replaceable IMS. If you have the smaller one, it would probably be wise to replace it. They failed at approx. 10% rate. If you have the newer version, you're probably OK as they fail at approx. 1%.

Do any of your clutch changes include an IMS change too?

Hope you enjoy your new to you Boxster. It is a fun car.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipstien View Post
I'll welcome anyone with a good attitude that wants to learn or teach. Love this forum and the people here. Car sounds great can't wait to see the pictures!

Also the 05 is different but it still is close enough that most of the information here is the same with repairs and such.
cheers dude, pics in a few hours
Old 04-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Hi AE. Welcome to the forum. 987 owners are certainly welcome to contribute.

Not to start right off about IMS, but 2005 was a transition yr for Porsche. Sometime midstream in 2005, Porsche went from a smaller, replaceable IMS to a larger, basically non-replaceable IMS. If you have the smaller one, it would probably be wise to replace it. They failed at approx. 10% rate. If you have the newer version, you're probably OK as they fail at approx. 1%.

Do any of your clutch changes include an IMS change too?

Hope you enjoy your new to you Boxster. It is a fun car.
Hey there! Funny thing I actually don't like being addressed as AE on the internet. People tend to abbreviate my name with Among or Amongst but that's on voice. no worries though you didn't know.

haha second post and we're already counting down till doomsday with the IMS. I wanna say that my car was produced very late in the year... October 05 maybe? I'll double check.

So the original owner ordered it with the 18 inch S wheels and one of the side vents is actually functional, which is another characteristic that comes stock on the S. So I find myself with neither a base model nor true S.

The most recent owner was a young business woman who we presume raced it, I actually would have liked to meet her She drove it around 6k miles a year for quite a while. Car had 70k miles on it when I bought it.

I'm thinking she was probably very knowledgeable about the car and may have replaced the IMS, but the dealer would have specified that wouldn't they have? do you think I should pay a mechanic to take a look? Aren't there other routine procedures that I can pair with checking the IMS to save on mechanic labor/hours?

Even if the IMS blows, my aftermarket warranty should cover it (unless there is a loophole I don't know about and karma is real and I'm an awful person destined for failure)

Final thoughts: IMS failure happened more frequently to those who kept theirs as a garage queen. I will drive my baby daily, and hit higher RPMs frequently more so on the weekend than during the week.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum family, AE. Wish you the best with your new Boxster!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #7

Garage
Welcome to the family Adam... trust me, you will learn ALOT about the car in no time flat.... you will learn the dealer will charge you 2 arms and 3 legs (if they could) for any repairs and parts....so you learn quick how to do things on your own and find ways to get what you need for much cheaper. It turns into a fun hobby really and you will enjoy your new beast even more so that way!!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongstEnemies View Post
Hey there! Funny thing I actually don't like being addressed as AE on the internet. People tend to abbreviate my name with Among or Amongst but that's on voice. no worries though you didn't know.
Is it a family name or something?
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #9

If your build date is 10/05, you should be well into the larger bearing. The cross-over occurred sometime around Mar. Driving 6K / yr is about the right amt of mi / yr. If that's the mileage you intend to drive, just remember to change you oil annually. So enough IMS talk.

Tracking a car is defn fun, but can start a slippery slope of modifications and expenses. Just be sure you're also saving for a house and a start on a retirement fund. Those things are important too. Question: how do you make a small fortune in racing? Answer: start with a large fortune. I never thought I would find a hobby more expensive than golf, but DEing is miles more expensive. However, at night I don't dream about playing golf.

Sorry about the abbreviation faux pas. We tend to shorten things up here, so it might happen in the future by others in future threads. No offense intended.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM911 View Post
Welcome to the forum family, AE. Wish you the best with your new Boxster!
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
Welcome to the family Adam... trust me, you will learn ALOT about the car in no time flat.... you will learn the dealer will charge you 2 arms and 3 legs (if they could) for any repairs and parts....so you learn quick how to do things on your own and find ways to get what you need for much cheaper. It turns into a fun hobby really and you will enjoy your new beast even more so that way!!
Thank you DrCactus! I actually already made a small little repair myself and I felt so proud. I took out the frunk tools, loosened up a headlight, put the rubber casing/protective band back in the proper place, then tightened it up! I actually need to find a full set of lug nuts since mine are a bit rusty!

I'm already so hyped about my car and trying to learn everything I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Is it a family name or something?
Uhm, no AmongstEnemies is a username I came up with maybe 10 years ago and I've stuck with it everywhere online since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
If your build date is 10/05, you should be well into the larger bearing. The cross-over occurred sometime around Mar. Driving 6K / yr is about the right amt of mi / yr. If that's the mileage you intend to drive, just remember to change you oil annually. So enough IMS talk.

Tracking a car is defn fun, but can start a slippery slope of modifications and expenses. Just be sure you're also saving for a house and a start on a retirement fund. Those things are important too. Question: how do you make a small fortune in racing? Answer: start with a large fortune. I never thought I would find a hobby more expensive than golf, but DEing is miles more expensive. However, at night I don't dream about playing golf.

Sorry about the abbreviation faux pas. We tend to shorten things up here, so it might happen in the future by others in future threads. No offense intended.
Honestly I could see myself putting 15-20k miles /year on it since I do daily drive it and I like taking road trips (the city I live in SUCKS)

I don't plan on tracking it, earlier I was speaking about the prior owner who presumably tracked it, and most likely took great care of it.

WHERE can I find the date it was produced again? its some sticker somewhere but I've forgotten... on the door? or was it in the trunk D: ALSO from what the internet tells me a 2005 could be the first or the last one produced in the year and you can never really know which kind of IMS you have until you get in there and look at it.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #11
Side Porsche

Check the sticker in the frunk for info on your build. There are a few sites you can stick your vin into and get info about your build also. Some people resort to calling a Porsche dealer to get this, though.

Also check your owner manual and such. Sometimes finding a good bit of information in there just written down or saved from previous ownership.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:

Uhm, no AmongstEnemies is a username I came up with maybe 10 years ago
OK cool. Don't get offended if we refer to you as AE, it's less to type. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the car.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #13
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
23 Y/o New Owner!

Welcome to the best forum out there. And best of luck with your car. But are you sure you are 23? Having trouble posting pics is mostly a problem with my generation and up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #14
Side Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Welcome to the best forum out there. And best of luck with your car. But are you sure you are 23? Having trouble posting pics is mostly a problem with my generation and up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll just leave this here. . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States
Old 04-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #15
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mipstien View Post

Haha! All in good fun!
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #16

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Check out the Pacific Northwest PCA region, the have a great fb group
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:22 PM   #17

Date of mfg is on the door jamb on the VIN sticker.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #18

You might want to check out PeachState PCA. Fun club with lots of great people. Might be a bit far for you as most of the events are held around Atlanta, but when the weather is good what's better than a nice drive, right?

Congrats on your new Boxster!
Old 04-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #19
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Welcome AE! Tons of fun in your future!

And don't be so sensitive about your user ID...that's just weird.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #20

Welcome Adam! Can't wait to see the pics!