View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
AmongstEnemies

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Hi AE. Welcome to the forum. 987 owners are certainly welcome to contribute.

Not to start right off about IMS, but 2005 was a transition yr for Porsche. Sometime midstream in 2005, Porsche went from a smaller, replaceable IMS to a larger, basically non-replaceable IMS. If you have the smaller one, it would probably be wise to replace it. They failed at approx. 10% rate. If you have the newer version, you're probably OK as they fail at approx. 1%.

Do any of your clutch changes include an IMS change too?

Hope you enjoy your new to you Boxster. It is a fun car.
Hey there! Funny thing I actually don't like being addressed as AE on the internet. People tend to abbreviate my name with Among or Amongst but that's on voice. no worries though you didn't know.

haha second post and we're already counting down till doomsday with the IMS. I wanna say that my car was produced very late in the year... October 05 maybe? I'll double check.

So the original owner ordered it with the 18 inch S wheels and one of the side vents is actually functional, which is another characteristic that comes stock on the S. So I find myself with neither a base model nor true S.

The most recent owner was a young business woman who we presume raced it, I actually would have liked to meet her She drove it around 6k miles a year for quite a while. Car had 70k miles on it when I bought it.

I'm thinking she was probably very knowledgeable about the car and may have replaced the IMS, but the dealer would have specified that wouldn't they have? do you think I should pay a mechanic to take a look? Aren't there other routine procedures that I can pair with checking the IMS to save on mechanic labor/hours?

Even if the IMS blows, my aftermarket warranty should cover it (unless there is a loophole I don't know about and karma is real and I'm an awful person destined for failure)

Final thoughts: IMS failure happened more frequently to those who kept theirs as a garage queen. I will drive my baby daily, and hit higher RPMs frequently more so on the weekend than during the week.
AmongstEnemies is offline   Reply With Quote