Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #1

My Italian Boxster!

Long story short, doing the typical IMS/RMS/Clutch replace on my new-to-me 2000 base, when we come across a little unexpected surprise.

Look at that! My Boxster's part Italian!
And boy, that clutch was shot, as I could tell while driving, so no big surprise. Down to the rivets. At 67,000 miles, it may be the original clutch.

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 04-23-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Looks like an AP clutch (logo is shown in lower left of image).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-23-2016 at 08:32 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:20 AM   #3

Hi,

so you own a Ferrari. Congrats.

No, that isn't the Porsche OEM clutch.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
Ben-Auto-Design

I had the same clutch when I changed it for a OEM 986 clutch... I wish I had kept this one!
You'll have to modify the helper spring to get a good feeling now :/
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #5

Slight thread drift, but some years ago, I was testing a Lamborghini for five days on Sardinia, as an automotive journalist, and I was accompanied by Lamborghini's PR director, who happened to have a summer house on Sardinia.

He told me that the old story of Ferruchio Lamborghini deciding to get into the exotic-car business because Enzo Ferrari somehow insulted him wasn't true.

The actual story is that Ferruchio owned a Ferrari and needed a clutch replacement. Called the factory to make an appointment, and they didn't have an available time for something like a month.

No problem,Lamborghini said, I'll just have my own chief mechanic do it. After all, how hard can a clutch replacement be for a highly skilled tractor technician?

A day later, his mechanic came to Ferruchio's office and put a clutch down on the boss's desk. "That's the clutch from your Ferrari, and Ferrari wants five million lira (or whatever the actual amount was) for a replacement unit." He then put an absolutely identical clutch unit down next to it and said, "That's the clutch we use in our largest tractors, and we charge five thousand lira."

Ferruchio suddenly saw the financial advantages of building a value-added automobile and decided to get into the car business.
stepwilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepwilk View Post
Slight thread drift, but some years ago, I was testing a Lamborghini for five days on Sardinia, as an automotive journalist, and I was accompanied by Lamborghini's PR director, who happened to have a summer house on Sardinia.
Thread-drift authorized, as this was never really much of a thread, and your story is a hell of a lot more interesting. Excuse us all for drooling over the idea of testing a Lambo for five days on Sardinia. You might as well have told us you used to date Sophia Loren.

Last edited by Need_for_speed; 04-24-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote