Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #1

Help how to remove m490 amp

Ok i bought a 6 channel amp from a 996 cab so go to do a quick remove and replace get stuck training to remove the top right bolt. Socket doesnt go on due tonthe plastic cover, so thought maybe some one had a tip to remove the bolt, open end wrench seems a little tight.

Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Is the bolt turning but not coming out?

The top two amplifier bolts go into rubber nuts that expand, and they tend to disintegrate over time or when being removed. If the bolt is just spinning in place and not coming out, you will have to pull the entire bolt and nut out, which will rip the rest of the rubber nut apart. When you reinstall you will want to replace the nut, PN: 999 500 078 00. I used an adjustable cresent wrench when I replaced my amp, the bolts should not be difficult to unscrew.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #3

The left nut came out and went back in no problem, its the right side i cant get the socket on. Guess i can give a cresent wrench a shot.
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #4

I should elaborate, the bolt on the right sude as you face the ampmbracket is like touching the plastic cover, so i cant get a socket over it. I will giv a cresent wrench a go.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #5

Got out finally and installed 6 channel big difference. How ever i think i broke off the tabs on the power conector trying to remove the cable it finally came loose.

How to you access the plastic nut on the back? One seems little loose maybe spinning, but the amp is in tight.