Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #1

boxster electronics acting erradically

So i bought a 2002 base boxster as a gift to my mom a few months ago. recently she called me and said that she was out with the car but the key wouldnt turn the engine on. i had her replace the battery in the key fob but that didnt start the car. the key would rotate inside the cylinder and it would turn the radio and things on and off but when turned to the start position would cut all power but not engage the starter. luckily she was able to start it later that night and drive it home.

now the car is 1300 miles away from me so ive been relying on my baby brother to help me diagnose the problem. heres what he tells me.

he says sometimes the key will start the car sometimes it wont. he said also sometimes motors kick on and run for a short while. he says he hears the noise coming from the front of the car around the tire areas (he says it sounds like the secondary air motor noise his bmw makes when he first starts it up---so it seems to be an electric motor) and lastly he says the windows would act erractly sometimes working and stopping sometimes not working at all sometimes working perfectly.

i did some research and found out that the electronic ignition switch, when malfunctioning, can cause other electronics to act up as well. so i had him replace the electronic part. now the car starts everytime but the electronics are still acting up.

i had an old friend plug in his european scanner and the only code it gave was for a sensor for the passanger door airbag.

any ideas where i should start to look next?

Racecar_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
Luckyed

Garage
Ignition switch replacement should have solved most if not all of your problems........
Old 04-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Check for water under the driver's seat, check the fuses, and check the top microswitches which could affect the windows.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #4

ok i got an update. the battery has to stay disconnected because when the battery is connected even without the presence of a key the electric motors turn on and make noise.

could it be the audi dealer gave me a bad switch?

currently checking the drivers seat for water underneith
1984 Buick Grand National
1971 Volkswagen Superbeetle

Last edited by Racecar_Dave; 04-13-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Racecar_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #5

Sounds like you may have either got a bad switch or the incorrect one.

For $10, I'd get a new switch and try again. I just did mine last week (third time in 8 years).

It does cause all sorts of weird stuff to happen.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote