Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #1

Top Gear write up on the 718.

I just picked up the latest Top Gear magazine to see the interviews with the new crew, and there was an article on the new 718 Boxster. Weather you like it or hate it, it's interesting seeing different perspectives on the car.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 04-11-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #2

Thanks Retroman ! Interesting write up.
Leebherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #3

Some other Euros comment that the 718 is a "compliance" car .Porsche succumbed to extrapolating the rise in fuel prices and ever tightening emissions rules. A 'Subaru WRX' engine was the logical choice for that (false) scenario. The basic constraints were totally Euro oriented which doesn't translate so well here.
The interesting question is -how long before a premium priced 6cylinder version comes? And before you say "NEVER" remember tht the Euros do eventually get persuaded by the size of the market in the USA. BMW ,Mercedes,Jaguar were all reluctant and late converts to v8 engines instead of the traditional straight 6's.
Just stirring the pot :-).
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks for sharing this. It's still the best car in the class and the interior and exterior are steps up from the flashiness of the 981. Also the marketing is brilliant, props to Porsche for doing all they can to make up for the loss of cylinders.

Also the car seems smaller then the 981 which is good because the boxster seemed to have gotten a little large for my liking over time.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing but you might want to delete. This forum had a pretty good lawsuit against it years ago for copyright problems.

Not trying to be a turd, just hate to see this being a problem for anyone.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing the article, Retroman.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:44 AM   #7

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
I just picked up the latest Top Gear magazine to see the interviews with the new crew, and there was an article on the new 718 Boxster. Weather you like it or hate it, it's interesting seeing different perspectives on the car.
This video review may be in German, but the sound of the engine tells you all you need to know. Oh dear oh dear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH44dAScfHQ

I just spend the week driving round the Barossa Valley and other South Australian wine regions with the Porsche club of Victoria. There is nothing better than being in a fast moving convoy of NA flat 6s including GT3s, Boxster GTS, Cayman GTS, 911s of various types, even the odd old 911 turbo. What a noise, including from my fantastic 2.7 986 which was a total hoot and had no trouble keeping up with the rest especially on the twisties.

The 718 needs to go back to the drawing board IMHO.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Thanks for sharing but you might want to delete. This forum had a pretty good lawsuit against it years ago for copyright problems.

Not trying to be a turd, just hate to see this being a problem for anyone.
I went ahead and removed the images just to be on the safe side.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #9

Good on you.

Maybe someone remembers exactly what happened to the origin 986forum owners. It was a little before my time with my Boxster.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote