Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #41

I would start with the top speed cat delete pipes and go from there. Depending on what your goals are it may satisfy what you're after for a lot less than a new muffler. They certainly wake the stock exhaust up a bit, at least on my 04 S. I'd personally like a little more sound but for the $150 I spent I can't complain. The fister looks ideal since I like the look of the stock tips and it's very cost effective compared to some other systems. Only issue is that I'm Canada so shipping a boat anchor of a muffler to Cali is cost prohibitive for me.

boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #42

here's a video of my Friday morning drive to work enjoying the Fister exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Efeluufu8

needless to say i got there with a smile on my face

Last edited by CrisZenithBlue; 04-09-2016 at 02:11 PM.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:10 PM   #43
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I put my good headphones on to watch your video, well worth the trouble. Awesome sounding video!!
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:07 AM   #44
Rookie

Garage
Can somebody name this $100 muffler? I considering giving it a try since its so cheap. Is it worth it? Will it likely be a drone king?

Old 06-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
here's a video of my Friday morning drive to work enjoying the Fister exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Efeluufu8

needless to say i got there with a smile on my face
That's nice!
Old 06-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I got this information from Steve Tinker that seems to know what he is talking about. Below is a link to his posting on the topic.

Added Secondary Cat Delete Pipes - TopSpeed

His post is a result of a thread I had started regarding my installation of the cat delete pipes;

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/56660-added-secondary-cat-delete-pipes-topspeed.html
The same thing happened to me, after about 10K on secondary bypass pipes, the inner boots were cooked/torn (total of about 30K since replacement under warranty). I just re did the cv boots (and inner joints while I was in there), and wrapped the bypass pipes with heat tape. BTW, I have a Fister modded stock muffler, and with the bypass pipes, it's pretty f'ing loud. YMMV, but I have to try not to piss off bystanders from a stop. The Fister tip outlets can be plugged to quiet it down.
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #47
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
That looks like a GHL muffler. It sounds good, but it is a drone king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeA View Post
Can somebody name this $100 muffler? I considering giving it a try since its so cheap. Is it worth it? Will it likely be a drone king?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #48
Rookie

Garage
Thanks. Google and fleabay showed nothing so not sure if the price is right. If I wanted to try it does $125 seem like a reasonable price that I could easily get back out of it if its too offensive? I also seem to remember reading about people using something from the motorcycle community to eliminate drone, something put in line, ring any bells?
Old 06-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #49

Chuck , I've got the Porsche PSE on my 2000S , the valves default to open but they never seem to close . they are connected to the vacuum valve and that is connected up to the loom in the boot . What makes the close ?
Old 06-04-2016, 02:06 AM   #50
Rennzenn

Garage
Indeed, that is the venerable GHL muffler. And it was the drone King. The solution was to add motorcycle resonators to the exhaust tips. I believe they slide in and then you could secure them with a spot weld. Originally the muffler was around $800. $125 is a steal. Another problem area are the bolts on top that hold the muffler to the mounting bracket. They can break.
Quote:
Thanks. Google and fleabay showed nothing so not sure if the price is right. If I wanted to try it does $125 seem like a reasonable price that I could easily get back out of it if its too offensive? I also seem to remember reading about people using something from the motorcycle community to eliminate drone, something put in line, ring any bells?
Old 06-04-2016, 03:33 AM   #51

Quote:

Yes that is a GHL and for that price it is a steal. I have one of these on " the beast " and I am trying to quiet it down a little and eliminate most of the resonance. I am running aftermarket headers, cat delete pipes, two resonators and then the muffler. The entire system is much lighter than stock. But the 3.6 is pushing the muffler to its limits in regards to drone. To date I have added Car Chemistry inserts into the exit of the resonators. That has taken some of the edge of the exhaust note but has not eliminated the drone. My next attempt will be inserts into the muffler tips. I love the sound at full throttle but the drone is annoying. If I can get that mostly eliminated I will be very happy with the system. I am using Sure Seal clamps at the joints and the only other trick I am aware of is maybe wrapping the system with heat wrap.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:45 AM   #52
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I've known 4 Boxster owners who've had the GHL muffler on their car. 2 sold them and put the OEM stock muffler back on after experiencing the drone. One removed it and installed the factory PSE instead, and the last one kept the GHL and just learned to deal with the drone. I think the GHL muffler sounds the best of all the aftermarket mufflers, it's just too bad it drones.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #53

I have the GHL muffler and it certainly does drone 2k - 3k RPM. Easy solution...stay above 3k!

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #54
Rookie

Garage
Its kinda scary how spot-on information can be on this forum. One of the hanger bolts is in fact broken, its all there, just broken. No biggie and I gave him $125 without question as otherwise its in pretty good shape. He was in a silver 99 base that looked severly neglected (I die a little inside whenever I see that) but a nice enough guy. Said it was just too loud for his taste. This is just an experiment for me and worth the price of admission to try a different sound. Ill update when I get it installed, thought maybe this weekend but Ill have to wait and haul it into work Monday to tig the hanger bolt.

Thanks for all the input guys.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggo View Post
Chuck , I've got the Porsche PSE on my 2000S , the valves default to open but they never seem to close . they are connected to the vacuum valve and that is connected up to the loom in the boot . What makes the close ?
Good question. I am not sure. They are operated by vacuum so your system may have a leak. Sorry I can't be more help.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote