Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

Recommendations for new Head Unit/Amp/Speakers/Sub

Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 3.2S with the Bose system but only in-dash and in-door speakers. I'd like to change the whole system, from the head unit to the Amp. At the same time, I'm thinking of adding at least a Sub and possibly rear-speakers to the rear deck. I know it's going to be a lot of work but I'm willing to put the time and effort in. I'll probably acquire parts over the driving season and do the work in the fall/winter.

I'm starting to read about head units and amps and it's making me dizzy with all the options! I'm wondering if someone has gone through this research very recently and can recommend the parts?

Thanks in advance!

robbiex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #2

There is a rear deck speaker (woofer?) factory option made for that system. Makes a big difference.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Call these guys:

https://cai-store.com
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #4
Run

Focal worth the cost. You need to hear them up against other brands and you will see. I often hear instruments in the same song I don't hear on my Bose system in my Cayman.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:55 AM   #5

I have an 03s with the hifi option. If I just upgraded the dash speakers to focals but keep the subs and existing head unit would there be a decent improvement? Kinda pricy but worth it if a good improvement.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #6

I ordered some alpines to replace the dash speakers and also the rear speaker kit from suncoast. PO also had bought the aftermarket head unit install and trim kit from suncoast and gave it to me obviously as part of the purchase. Will go with the speaker upgrades for now and maybe a double din later if needed. Will report back on install even though that has been covered many times and more importantly how much better it sounds!
Old 08-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #7
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

And....

what's the verdict?
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #8

I never thought I'd say this about my 01S, but after a recent upgrade of the head unit and a few other tweaks, the sound is excellent. It helps to find a high end car audio shop where folks play a good game rather than talk one. BTW: great sound doesn't come cheap in the 986.

Pioneer AVIC7200 head unit
Audison SRx 5 channel amp
Focal K2 100 KRS in dash and rear shelf
Focal K2 165 KRXs in the doors
Focal IBUS 20 subwoofer behind passenger seat

Sound deadening in the inner and outer door panels
Two flush mounted USB ports in bat wing for Apple car play and Android auto
Phone mic mounted on steering wheel between wheel and instrument cluster
Tuned amp and crossovers via frequency mapping

PS: Car Audio Innovations in Roseville CA, the 'cai' reference in #3, did the initial work before head units were up to spec, knows what they are talking about. The same can be said about as do the guys at the Car Stereo Company in Mountain View CA, who recently added the new head unit and did the tuning. CAI has a nice online business with many custom items for Porsche installs. The Car Stereo Company guys are local hands on to the SF Bay area.

Last edited by thom4782; 08-29-2016 at 05:16 AM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
what's the verdict?
Good question. I ended up replacing the dash speakers with 4" Alpines. Sound was better, but not drastically so. I have not installed the rear speakers yet. I now have an issue where the right dash speaker is a bit more muddled and less bright than the left one. Seemed fine when I put it in, but not sounding great now. I tried swapping the speaker and same thing, so it's not the speaker. Probably have a problem with the HU and/or Amp. Not sure. Thinking of fiddling with it to see if I can get it to work and if not ripping it all out and putting in a new HU, amp and obviously putting in the rear speakers. Just don't have the time to do all of that right now...
Old 08-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #10

Did you guys with the sound package and the MOST bus system ever put the Fader to -4 or -5?

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Did you guys with the sound package and the MOST bus system ever put the Fader to -4 or -5?

Regards, Markus
I have not tried or heard of that. What is the purpose of that (and I'm assuming you only do that if you do not have rear speakers)...
Old 08-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #12

Second on CAI-Store. Especially for the MOST car
achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoung73 View Post
I have not tried or heard of that. What is the purpose of that (and I'm assuming you only do that if you do not have rear speakers)...
Hello,

that is quite easy. If you have a CDR 23 or PCM 2 and a sound package the fader fades between dash and door speakers. In general the dash speakers are much too loud if fader setting is 0.

Also if your dash speakers are technically OK – means no deoriatated membrane or something else caused by extreme heat or sun you can improve the sound by using a simple -6 db butterworth crossover with good electronic components. The OEM system just uses a very cheap capacitor. If you use a quality coil and capacitor for mid speaker and tweeter the dash speakers sounds much better.

Regards, Markus

Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote