Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #1

Just bought a 2006 Boxster

Hello, I'm new here, just bought a 2006 boxster with 15,000 miles on it. Its pretty much like new. What do I need to know about how to maintain it? oil changes, air filter...
Also I've read quite a bit about the IMS failures. Mine is an 06 2.7 manual, how worried should I be with this MY?

Shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:01 AM   #2

Garage
Wow congrats... how much did you spend for it? Well this site has everything you will ever need to know to keep it running smooth... take a few years and look over everything and you will be fine!! lol Welcome to the club !
Old 03-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCactus View Post
Wow congrats... how much did you spend for it? Well this site has everything you will ever need to know to keep it running smooth... take a few years and look over everything and you will be fine!! lol Welcome to the club !
Hello,
It was $23,000 has new tires and the interior is awesome!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Luckyed

Garage
Congrats!!
Photo(s) please.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyed View Post
Congrats!!
Photo(s) please.

I'm really bad at downloading photos on these types of forums.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #6

I've found its really hard to find much if any info on the IMS issue with the 06 2.7, hopefully that's a good thing. Anyone have any info?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

The answers you seek....

....reside within:

Home
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
....reside within:

Home
Thanks, I sent them an email. Again not a lot of info on the 06 2.7 though.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:38 AM   #9

I believe it was in 06 that the bigger, more robust IMS was incorporated. So far, very very few claims of IMS issues (if any). We'll see if that continues as the mileage creeps up on those model years, but I think you are in good shape.
Would definitely recommend doing an oil change every 5000 miles no matter what the manual says.
Other than that, regular maintenance as any car would need and make sure to take her out for a good, strong drive now and then! These cars love to hit the twisties and have some fun.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
I believe it was in 06 that the bigger, more robust IMS was incorporated. So far, very very few claims of IMS issues (if any). We'll see if that continues as the mileage creeps up on those model years, but I think you are in good shape.
Would definitely recommend doing an oil change every 5000 miles no matter what the manual says.
Other than that, regular maintenance as any car would need and make sure to take her out for a good, strong drive now and then! These cars love to hit the twisties and have some fun.
Thanks for the info. Yes the 06 is the bigger IMS. From what I can find the 06 must be doing fairly well because there are not any complaints that I can find. But maybe I'm missing something also. Will most deff do the oil changes every 5,000 miles!
Old 03-31-2016, 11:55 AM   #11
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Congrats, and welcome! That is a very low miles Box. My advice is to join your local PCA chapter. Attend a car control clinic or auto cross school. Learn your car and make friends - in person and online - with others that have been there and done that. Also use the search feature on this forum for every question. They've almost certainly been asked before.

For pics - which all want to see - create a photobucket or similar account, upload your pics there, copy the pic url address, and use the little photo button here to paste the url.

Welcome again. You'll love the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #12

Photobucket, or the more friendly Imgur, either way get your images up!

I hate seeing older Porsches with low miles on the clock, I wish they were just used the way they were meant to be. Good for you though, just don't garage queen the poor thing!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:34 PM   #13

Garage
06 should be a bigger ims. The bearing is not serviceable without separating the engine case. According to what I've read of Jake Raby the bigger ims is more susceptible to failure if the car has been tracked whereas the reverse is true for the smaller single row bearings where the thought is garage queen cars are more likely to fail. Yes once a year or 5,000 mile intervals will be best for your car.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
06 should be a bigger ims. The bearing is not serviceable without separating the engine case. According to what I've read of Jake Raby the bigger ims is more susceptible to failure if the car has been tracked whereas the reverse is true for the smaller single row bearings where the thought is garage queen cars are more likely to fail. Yes once a year or 5,000 mile intervals will be best for your car.
Yes sir, I just read the Raby pdf. Finally someone can answer my questions!!! Do you or does anyone else use the Joe Gibbs oil that he recommends?
Old 03-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Photobucket, or the more friendly Imgur, either way get your images up!

I hate seeing older Porsches with low miles on the clock, I wish they were just used the way they were meant to be. Good for you though, just don't garage queen the poor thing!
I hear ya about the low miles. I'll only be driving it about 5,000 a year, but that's still more than the last owner
Old 03-31-2016, 01:11 PM   #16

Change oil every 3k-5k miles.... or at least once a year.

Most imprtant thing.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #17

Talked with a rep at Raby, they said to replace the water pump and AOS. I am also look at getting a new low temp thermostat. They sell a water pump and thermostat kit on pelican for around $305.00. I see the Porsche water pump alone is over $400. Is there a better brand of pump I should take a look at? Do you guys think these repairs are a good idea?
Old 03-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #18

Welcome!

What part of IA are you located?

To answer your WP ques, no other brand is better / preferred. Do a search on waterpump and you'll find lots of reading. Search is your friend on lots of questions.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 03-31-2016 at 04:05 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Welcome!

What part of IA are you located?

To answer your WP ques, no other brand is better / preferred. Do a search on waterpump and you'll find lots of reading. Search is your friend on lots of questions.
I'm in Guttenberg. I'm taking it to my mechanic next week. I'll see what he thinks too.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:07 PM   #20

Looks like you're way in the northeast corner of the state. I was going to suggest swinging down to RPM the last w/e in Apr as the GPR Porsche Club is doing a DE there. But Glenwood, IA is a bit of a hike from your neck of the woods.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote