Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #1

Question Door Speaker upgrade 00 S

I have been reading up on stereo upgrades and am planning a phased approach. I already oreday an adaptor kit to swapp the das speakers out, i want to conserve all the original pieces in case i want to return everthing to factory.

Anyway i was curious if any one has used adaptors to fit 6.5 inch speakers into the stock door location, using the tuned enclosure.

Inappreciate any feedback on this specific question.

Thanks.

Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #2

can you share the specific adapter kit for the dash speakers? when i bought mine it said it came with something to adapt it but it didnt really work so i had to chop up the existing ones and make a support for the new ones. works just fine and i would have never returned to the stock ones, they were crap.

for the doors i didnt need to adapt anything, if i remember correctly standard 6.5 inch speakers fit easily. i just removed the old ones and put the new ones in the same enclosure.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, the dash speaker kit i ordered is this one.

https://cai-store.com/collections/996-986-porsche-audio-upgrades/products/996-speaker-adapters-hardware-kit-also-boxster

I selected for 4" speakers.

Everything i have read says the stock speaker box uses 5.25 inch speakers, to fit 6.5 you need to remove the tuned port and make a new mounting plate. Just wanted to double check i want to use jbl gto components in the door and prefer to go with the larger version.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:33 AM   #4

thanks for sharing the link! that's a nice adapter kit, i think i will go for it, i am not entirely happy with my dash speakers so i'm prob going to replace them.. again.

what are you getting for the dash?

and please dont take my word for it, it's been a while since i bought the door speakers and i might be wrong about the 6.5. i was trying to lookup the order invoice from Crutchfield.com where i bought them from to confirm but couldn't.

maybe someone else on here can pitch in and confirm.

also, what part of Spain are you from? i used to live in Madrid a few years back and LOVED some of the mountain road nearby (just 50 km away).
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:54 AM   #5

Hi

Are you running the stock amp in frunk, this will only send low frequency to door speakers (small subwoofers) so not sure you will get benefit of a component set up without updating amp.
andys320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #6

First off i live in southern spain near Sevilla, weather getting perfect for top down cruising. I been living here this time round for about 9 years.

I am interested in the JBL GTO 4 inch coaxials in the dash, doors looking at the JBL GTO components. Since i am currently using the stock amp, i figure the woofer will work in the interim.

So yes currently using the stock 4 channel, i have a cheap 4 channel stock amp coming from ebay that i plan on stripping the connectors out of to build an adaptor to interface an aftermarket 6 channel amp.

Plan is to do dash speakers, door speakers, get the rear speaker kit from suncoast install that at the same time i add the aftermarket amp.

Might convert to a double din hu, the add a active ultra compact sub under the seat if ther is enough room.

Not loking for ultra high end but good soldid sound. Since i have only had the car for about 3 weeks i am still enjoying the motor sounds, but i bought the car to do some long weekend road trips, and a couple 2 weekers over to Italy, France, and Germany.

I may order some universal adapters to install the 6.5 inch in the doors i saw a write up today where someone made some home made adaptors and drilled the stock door enclosures to get some more air. This route might negate the sub.