Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to subgraphic
My S feels like...... rubber ?

Ok maybe an overstatement, but coming from a very tight and sharp EVO VIII, the cowl shake and loose shifting feel of the box may seem worse to me than it is.
I cant help but to notice and focus on it when Im driving over anything other than a smooth road.
Is there anyway to “tighten” it up a bit in those areas? Will a strut brace and a short throw shifter get me a lil closer to what I'm looking for?

Thanks

subgraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:20 AM   #2

well your expectations are a bit off.
The car doesn't have a roof. It will never drive like an STI
But given that I also see you havent' driven allot of other convertibles because this Boxster is as tight as any drop top I have ever driven.
Take a ride in the m3 convertible and tell me if you still miss the EVO.

Allot of mixed opinions on the short shift kit. Most 911 owners love them but not such unanimous feelings in the Boxster gearbox. Maybe its the differing engines.
The gear box is definitely a weak point in this car. Sound like your prior experience make a short shift kit a good experiment.

The strut brace is deffinitely a good idea and shouldn't be king's ransom.

p.s.
Is your car on lowering springs? Might want to look into Pss9 and raise the ride height. if the springs aren't stiffer than stock.
also maybe a lighter set of tires will help. That's more important than light wheels.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-17-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #3

Get an STS. I came from an SRT-4 and felt the same way. I put in the Schnell STS and I love it. Tightened it right up. Better tranny(transmission) feel. IMO. Some do say it's too notchy.
EVOMS Intake
Glass rear window
velvet_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #4

[QUOTE=subgraphic]Ok maybe an overstatement, but coming from a very tight and sharp EVO VIII, the cowl shake and loose shifting feel of the box may seem worse to me than it is.
I cant help but to notice and focus on it when Im driving over anything other than a smooth road.
Is there anyway to “tighten” it up a bit in those areas? Will a strut brace and a short throw shifter get me a lil closer to what I'm looking for?
Thanks [/
QUOTE]

i'm suprised you notice cowl shake. that's not something i'd describe as prominent on the boxster (at least not for a convertible).

as for 'tightening' the feel of the suspension, i installed the M030 sway bars and they made a HUGE difference. you have an 'S', but i would recommend installing the base M030 rear (it's thicker than the 'S' M030 rear). install the 'S' M030 front sway.

Front: 996.343.701.23 (It's $105 from Sunset Imports)
Rear: 986.333.701.20 (It's $ 70 from Sunset)

don't forget the bushings. a front strut brace MAY help with vibration up front, but it won't reduce chassis flex; there are already braces that tie the strut towers to the firewall. from a performance standpoint an additional brace isunnecessary.

i agree with your assessment of the shifter. the stock throw is long and sloppy. i installed a schnell short shift kit, which i like a lot. the shifter had a LOT of side-to side play in it upon arrival, so disassembled and shimmed the lever to reduce play prior to installation. it's MUCH better than stock now. i still see room for improvement and plan on installing an AP linkage when i get a chance (see pic below). hope this helps.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite

don't forget the bushings. a front strut brace MAY help with vibration up front, but it won't reduce chassis flex; there are already braces that tie the strut towers to the firewall. from a performance standpoint an additional brace isunnecessary.

Insite....are you sure about this??
Old 05-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #6

As someone who came from Evos and race cars, I have to agree that the 986 really didn't blow me away with the steering feel and stiffness. The 987 is better in those respects, but it still feels a little heavier and more remote.

I got used to it pretty quick though. It's just "different", not necessarily "worse".
Old 05-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #7

Smile

Strut braces and short shifter are nice mods and don't cost much.]

Go for it!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to subgraphic
Thank you for the replys!
Im going to start with a short shifter and investigate the braces and sway bars a bit.

I'l post when I get them in.

subgraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
bmussatti

A great place for your strut braces is www.********************************************************************.com. I bought one from them and the servcie was great.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Insite....are you sure about this??

100% positive; they don't even put them in the GT3 cup cars. i am speaking only of the FRONT, however.

the rear can benefit from a strut brace. others use a truss tie-in under the car instead, but a brace should be easier / cheaper to install back there.

if you really want to stiffen the car up a bit, the M030 sways are the most bang for the buck (night and day, and i mean WOW). if you buy them one at a time, start with the rear (i'm serious). they're also not too uncomfortable.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg

Last edited by insite; 05-17-2006 at 06:49 PM.
insite is offline   Reply With Quote