Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #1

door clunk when window is down

There is a loud clunk when I close the passenger side door, but only when the window is completely down. If I raise the window even the slightest amount then it is not there.

Some possibly relevant info - the car had taken damage to the passenger door and front fender prior to my owning the car, and it was repaired at a local body shop with a reputation for cheap shoddy repairs. What kind of damage is unknown. The door, fender, and bumper cover have been repainted. I had the door panel off once and found that some of the fasteners were missing and most weren't the proper part. In other words, the car was put back together with whatever screws they could find lying around the shop. Fkn hacks. Why the previous owner would have taken it there is beyond me. I have obtained all the proper fasteners I need to properly re-install the panel.

I'm thinking something came loose or broke inside the door when the damage occurred and it wasn't fixed properly. Before I dismantle the door, I was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue and can shed some light on what I might be looking for in there.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #2

Garage
Same thing happend to me when I closed the door a little too hard once (in anger). The window lift mechanism must have come loose.

This really should be taken care of promptly as the window could shatter if it's in its lowes position and you close the door.
PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #3

Do you know what part, and where, it came loose?

Is it this assembly where the problem most likely is?

Old 03-25-2016, 05:54 AM   #4

I've taken the door panel off, removed the airbag and liner, and had a look inside there. It's the top of the window that is banging when fully down, but I really can't see why. It's like the window is dropping down a bit too low below the top of the door frame, but as it comes up to the correct height when closed I'm not sure how that could be the problem. I also thought that maybe there was some kind of guide that was supposed to be there but is missing, but can't see anything like that on the parts diagrams.

I can't see anything wrong, but obviously there must be. Anyone have any ideas?