Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #1
More of a truck guy

Driver seat stuck fully reclined, forward and raised. HELP!

Short story..my electric switch that controls the tilt of the back will only recline. Mechanically, the switch won't rotate forward, to tilt the seat forward. I tried to remove the two small Phillips screw on the switch, hoping it would come off, but no luck.

1. How does it come off?

So, in messing with it, I now have the seat almost fully reclined, against the back wall. Fully forward, and raised up high. At 6'3", it is not completely un-driveable. When I try to use the side levers on the back, to tilt the seat forward, the levers move up, but does not disengage the seat back forward.

To make matters worse, the front two T12 bolts are almost hidden because the seat is so far forward.

Any advice or ways to get the seat back forward? I am more than happy to try and disassemble the seat in the car if possible. Not sure how the back detached from the seat.

Anyone help me get this thing drivable again? Only part electric is the tilt. Forward and back is manual.

Last edited by TNT79Bronco; 03-16-2016 at 02:28 PM.
TNT79Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I would try the upper seat back release lever while sitting in the seat and pressing back against the backrest (assuming that the seat back is being forced forward from being reclined against the firewall).
Old 03-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Take a look at the parts catalog (page 350ish) for exploded diagrams of the seat.

986_USA_KATALOG.pdf

Last edited by particlewave; 03-16-2016 at 02:43 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

Garage
Okay going to have to be careful now. Is the seat back already unlatched? I ask this because the recline can go infinite in either direction. Anyway try this first. The seat height lever just pulls straight out and off. Slide something between it and the cover and it will come off. Now with both phillips screws removed push the cover straight up to unlatch the top catches and pull off. You can now see the back of the switch. Don't pull the flat cover. You should see 4 catches down low next to cover holding the switch to the cover. Slide a fine flat blade to unlatch and remove the switch. You should now see the rocker and the switch points. Spray the metal contacts with electric cleaner. You should be able to move the seat back forward. When reassembling make sure the recline lever is centered to it's movement and re install switch. Good Luck
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
More of a truck guy

Thanks for the info. I will try that tomorrow morning. I had to leave my car at work. The seat is reclined, and will not tilt forward. I do believe that it is something mechanical, since when inlift the side lever up, which should tilt it forward, it won't move or feel like anything is "unlatching".
Old 03-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT79Bronco View Post
Thanks for the info. I will try that tomorrow morning. I had to leave my car at work. The seat is reclined, and will not tilt forward. I do believe that it is something mechanical, since when inlift the side lever up, which should tilt it forward, it won't move or feel like anything is "unlatching".
If it was already unlatched and you continued to recline the seat back by the switch it would eventually be all the way back and would not be able to "unlatch". Ask me how I know.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #7
More of a truck guy

That sounds like what happened. So what is the solution? Is that what you described above?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #8
More of a truck guy

Ok. Success. I can now get in my car. With the helpful instructions on how to disassemble the side control switches, I got to the root of the problem. The problem was with the actual outside recline lever that moves the micro-switch under the side panel. The micro-switch lever sits underneath and between two pieces of plastic molded into the outside lever. So, when you rotate the lever one way, one side of the molded plastic section pressed against the switch, moving it in a direction. Reverse the rotation of the lever, and the other piece of plastic hits the switch and moves it in the opposite direction.

Well, the person that did my seats, must of put it on wrong and caused one of the little molded plastic tabs that moves the switch in the direction to tilt the seat back forward, to break.

Just as an FYI. I really just needed to pry off both levers with a plastic flat scraper, to massage the lever off the pivot point. Once I realized how to take these off, it was a 2 minute fix to swap the passenger tilt lever with the driver's side. Now I just have to find a new lever for the passenger side.

Thanks to all!
Old 03-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #9

Garage
Just as an FYI. I really just needed to pry off both levers with a plastic flat scraper, to massage the lever off the pivot point. Once I realized how to take these off, it was a 2 minute fix to swap the passenger tilt lever with the driver's side. Now I just have to find a new lever for the passenger side.

Thanks to all![/QUOTE]

Good to know. Usually the contacts get dirty and need cleaning. Your seat back unlatches properly now?
I have a lever. PM your address and I'll send it to you.