Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #1

718 Launch party...

We finally got a load of these in at the local dealer. I got an invitation to the official (regional) launch event held on the rooftops of downtown Oklahoma City.
It was a perfect night for it....

Many showed up in their Porsches, but some arrived in really unusually cool classics:

Some nice giveaways as well...

I still haven't driven one so I'm still unable to give a true opinion about the engine, but to be honest I like the new look, inside and out. It's cleaner and tighter than the previous model and the interior is more comfortable with more leg, knee, and shoulder room than ever before.

Anxious to see GTS and Spyder versions come out!

Old 08-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing. Every time the 718 digit pops up I think of Brooklyn NY. I grew up in that area code
walt2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Very cool! These kind of events are always fun to attend. Thanks for the pics!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #4

Garage
Cool. That place looks really familiar....was it featured on one of the car shows? Chasing Classic Cars or Gas Monkey or something like that, they were selling a car?
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #5

I looked at them at the local Porsche dealership. They are very very nice.... but they appear to be so much larger than our 986s. Although I like new and like the extra power, sound and amenities I prefer the smaller 986. Oh.... I like not having a car payment too!

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonomics View Post
Cool. That place looks really familiar....was it featured on one of the car shows? Chasing Classic Cars or Gas Monkey or something like that, they were selling a car?
You're close... Legendary Motorcar's Peter Klutt bought some exotic from a guy in OKC and played a game of ping-pong to finalize the price.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:50 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
You're close... Legendary Motorcar's Peter Klutt bought some exotic from a guy in OKC and played a game of ping-pong to finalize the price.
That's it! The orange Aston Martin race car.
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #8

Many thanks Retroman,
Great photos, looked like a great evening
Santafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:00 AM   #9

Anytime guys, thanks!
The owner of that building is an exotic car collector and has a car lift to the roof and a shop in the alleyside ground floor. Could be the guy involved in the story you're talking about.

PS: I finally drove a base 718.
Impressions.... the performance and refinement are a huge jump in almost every respect! Hard thrust from a dead stop, and steady strong pull in every gear at any speed. This thing is fast! The interior is roomier, more comfortable and more refined, the smaller thicker steering wheel and tactfully contoured seats are just loverly. I truly appreciate the electric tilt/telescope wheel. Nice ride and more go-cart-like handling than ever before.
The engine...
The engine....
It performs blissfully, but it won't be mistaken for the refined sexy six that we are used to. It is a little less smooth, and while the sound is great in its own way, it's just not as grown up as before. It's throaty, deep, aggressive (in a more raucous way) and louder. It's exciting but not soul-stirring. Now it doesn't sound cheap or Subaru-like as some claim IMHO.
All in all, it's a Porsche through and through, and I wouldn't cry giving up my earlier 6-cyl car for it. There's just too much else going for it.
I might get flamed for that, but that's my honest first impression.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #10

Impressions.... the performance and refinement are a huge jump in almost every respect! Hard thrust from a dead stop, and steady strong pull in every gear at any speed. This thing is fast! The interior is roomier, more comfortable and more refined, the smaller thicker steering wheel and tactfully contoured seats are just loverly. I truly appreciate the electric tilt/telescope wheel. Nice ride and more go-cart-like handling than ever before.
The engine...
The engine....
It performs blissfully, but it won't be mistaken for the refined sexy six that we are used to. It is a little less smooth, and while the sound is great in its own way, it's just not as grown up as before. It's throaty, deep, aggressive (in a more raucous way) and louder. It's exciting but not soul-stirring. Now it doesn't sound cheap or Subaru-like as some claim IMHO.
All in all, it's a Porsche through and through, and I wouldn't cry giving up my earlier 6-cyl car for it. There's just too much else going for it.
I might get flamed for that, but that's my honest first impression. [/QUOTE]

Good write up.
I went for a long test drive in one yesterday and couldn't agree more - very impressed with the performance and feel. BUT... I did have a problem with the high bulkhead behind the seats - I am 6' and couldn't see a thing behind me, just black plastic. You really do need the back-up camera. It seems to have a fat butt! I did like the PDK with paddles - amazing fast shifts.

Last Sunday I had a ride in a 2016 Boxster Spyder - now THAT was cool and it sounds perfect!
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #11

The engine...
The engine....
I might get flamed for that, but that's my honest first impression. [/QUOTE]

Good write up.
I went for a long test drive in one yesterday and couldn't agree more - very impressed with the performance and feel. BUT... I did have a problem with the high bulkhead behind the seats - I am 6' and couldn't see a thing behind me, just black plastic. You really do need the back-up camera. It seems to have a fat butt! I did like the PDK with paddles - amazing fast shifts.

Last Sunday I had a ride in a 2016 Boxster Spyder - now THAT was cool and it sounds perfect!
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]I did have a problem with the high bulkhead behind the seats - I am 6' and couldn't see a thing behind me, just black plastic. You really do need the back-up camera. It seems to have a fat butt!
Ah! I do agree with that. It's almost like that old gag where a prospective renter is looking at a downtown apartment, pulls back the curtains on the window and it's filled in with bricks. On the 718 (and 981 to a lesser extent) there is a window back behind there somewhere, but it's hard to tell.