Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #1

Unibody destruction from Convertible Transmission ?

What caused this tear in my 98 Boxster Unibody ?

After I replaced my rag top last year I decided to see if I could get the top to work again. The clam shell worked but the push rods had been broken/disconnected since I bought my car the year prior.
On inspection I had one stock right transmission ( part # 986.561.180.01 but with a metal drive gear shown below (is that stock for 98 ?)

And a newer left one (part # 986.561.179.03)

that seems to have an electronic switch on it.

The top worked fairly well for about 1 month but wasn't synched well, so I found a used original left transmission (part # 986.561.179.2) and replaced the newer one so I would have a "matched old" pair. They worked fairly well for about 3 months, although I wasn't entirely satisfied with the synchronization.
One fine California morning I decided to go to work with the top down, but when it got close to it's fully closed cycle (top in the down/tucked away position) I heard a very loud pop. I assumed it was the push-rod cap breaking off so I reversed the top direction, but the motor keep running in the "to close" direction and really drove the clam shell in a very awkward closed position while making horrible noises.
At that point (after work) I had a hellava of a time taking the clam shell apart to release it.
The destruction is above as shown, on both right side and left side.
Inspections of both older transmissions reveal all metal drive gears, no plastic parts to act as fail-safe mechanisms.
So four questions:
1. Are the old stock transmissions SUPPOSED to be all metal ?
2. Can they really cause this type of destruction ? ( I am rewelding/reinforcing the metal.... yes it is a major ********************) Or did Porsche hating gremlins sabotage my Boxster?
3. Why did my motor fail to reverse directions ?
4. The newer transmissions as shown above , are they more reliable? Mine has a crack in the drive assist gear that I will need to to replace.

Crack at 12:00

Attached Images