Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2006, 07:34 AM   #1

Out of the blue - it won't start!

I have a 2001 986 2.7 tiptronic trans. 55K miles.

I have never had any real issues with the car until this morning. I put in the key and try to start it. The starter turns the motor over just fine, but it won't start. No weird lights, all appears as it always has, but it just won't start.

Let me back up a couple of days. I took it on a 200 mile road trip in which I did run into some moderate rain for approx. 1/3 of the trip, but it ran strong with no problems. I get back, turn it off and go into the office for a couple of hours. When I hop in it to go home, the starter turns, but it doesn't start. I turned it back off, waited 10 seconds and then tried it again. It turned over for a couple of seconds and then fired right up. Idled fine and drove home without incident.

Two days later (today) It won't start. I tried it three times, waiting approx. 10 seconds between each try, but to no avail.

I'm thinking fuel pump/relay problem? Any ideas of what to check/try?

Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #2

Hi,

Check all fuses and relays. Could be anything really from ignition switch to batery cables or worse. You could try disconnecting the Battery (Radio Code in hand) and leaving it off 5 min or so. Then reconnect it and this should reset everything, it's cheap and may work. Try this first, next... AAA?

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:08 AM   #3

I'm thinking that it's probably a fuse or relay and would've checked those things out today if I hadn't been in such a hurry to get to work. If I can't figure it out tonight, then I'll just call AAA and have it towed to RUF to let them have a look at it. It just has to be something simple. The car has been so reliable that I never think that it won't one day let me down. This was a complete surprise.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
If I can't figure it out tonight, then I'll just call AAA and have it towed to RUF to let them have a look at it.
Do follow-up if you end up taking it to RUF. Have you used them before? I'd like to know if their rates are acceptable (by my standards anyway).
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #5

I have RUF do all of my service work. Hans and Wayne are first rate guys and their mechanics are all Porsche trained. They aren't the cheapest shop in town, but they are cheaper than the dealership and they treat you like you're their best customer. They even let you sit in the RUF cars and play with stuff. :dance:
Old 05-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #6

Cool thanks... as long as they are cheaper than the dealer, I'm on board. I'll have to check them out.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:34 PM   #7

Well, I received advice from several sources and got some great advice from the local chapter of the PCA here in the DFW area. First thing I did was change out the fuel pump relay....same problem, then I bought a new Optima 34R and installation plate from Zims in Bedford, TX.....same problem, so I narrowed it down to a defective fuel pump. I ordered one online at a great price and had it overnighted to me. Then I spent last evening removing the defective pump and installing the new pump.

IT IS ALIVE!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Took it for a quick test spin and all is well.

On a side note, I took my 98 GMC ext. cab Z71 pickup to Kansas last weekend to attend my brother's graduation from his Master's program at Friend's University. After a stop in Edmond, OK for fuel, the fuel pump went out on the GMC too!!!! What is up with my luck???? My nephew drove down from Wichita and towed me to Wichita (thanks again Tony!) and I took the bed off of the truck and replaced the fuel pump on it. I was surprised to find out that the fuel pump for my truck cost $125 more than the one for the Porsche. But at least it worked and I was able to leave Kansas once again. One other thing happened in Edmond, OK. I was inside the gas station purchasing some munchies and a frosty cold beverage when I looked outside and saw a guy running to my truck to shut off the fuel. Apparently the auto-shutoff of the pump wasn't working and I had fuel gushing out of the filler neck. Thank goodness that he shut off the pump when he did, as my gas total was $80 when I went out to check on it. There was also a HUGE gas spill on the ground (around 10 gallons I estimated). Right after that is when I discovered that my fuel pump had decided that it's life was over.

Oh well, not to ramble on too much more...but both vehicles are now repaired and operational. My wallet is very empty, but my piece of mind has been restored.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #8

I almost forgot. Replacing a fuel pump in a Boxster is not a difficult task. Once you take the battery and battery tray out, you can get pretty easy access to the top of the tank. The retaining ring is a pain to remove, but the rest is very straight foward. You just have to be careful removing the sending unit to get to the pump. The pump locks in place with a simple twist (make sure that the rounded side is facing the front of the car.....). I also discovered that premium fuel will begin to burn skin pretty quickly. I figured that I saved $600+ doing the job myself and I further bonded with my Little Red Bast!@d.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:51 AM   #9

Thumper - How'd you get the retaining ring off? A strap wrench? The Porsche manual references a special tool VW 3217.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #10

No fancy tools for me. I used the largest channellock wrench I could find at Home Depot. It fit over the top and without squeezing the retaining ring, I was able to catch the tabs on the side of the retaining ring with the sides of the channellock jaws and twist counterclockwise. Once it's broken loose, it spins off rather easily. Porsche does put a dab of silicone sealer on the ring and sending unit to "lock" the ring into place. It helps to remove the dab of sealer before attempting to break the ring loose.

If the channellock's hadn't worked, my next attempt would've been a strap wrench. It's pretty tight quarters, but the retaining ring isn't really torqued down very tight. Worst case, I could've broken off the ring and just bought a new one, as it's plastic (I'm amazed at the amount of plastic Porsche uses).
Old 09-13-2006, 02:18 AM   #11

Smile fuel tank

Hi Thumper , my porshe 2003 2.7 just stopped and the mechanic has advised fuel pump, I have been quoted stating the fule pump is one with the tank and by removing the Tank and bottom supension they will replace it , this sounds sus as you have advised that its just a batery removal and the pump is separate , any suggestions , im thinking a second opinion. thanks
peterjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:40 AM   #12

Absolutely get a second opinion. Replacing a fuel pump has nothing to do with any suspension components. Just pull the battery, the battery tray (four nuts), disconnect the electrical connector to the fuel pump/sending unit, unscrew the large ring at the top of the tank, pull out the sending unit and there is the fuel pump. A quarter turn counter clockwise and lift out the pump. Other than having to stick your arm into a fuel tank full of fuel, it couldn't be any simpler.

Replacement is the reverse of disassembly. Sounds as if someone was trying to take you for much more than what it should cost for replacement. I'm surprised that they didn't tell you that your muffler bearings were going out as well.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:21 AM   #13

thanks thumper, second opinion helped and i got a third , new people servicing the car now , you were a great help regards Peterjg

peterjg is offline   Reply With Quote