Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #1

Just bought my 2006 Boxster S

Hey all!

I just bought my first Porsche...a Boxster S. I left my house thinking I won't buy...too small, too expensive etc. As soon as I got behind the wheel I knew I was getting one. I'm really impressed with the new interior style and room difference. I'm 6'2" and always felt a little cramped in the '99 to '02 used ones I was looking at.

Surprisingly, (to me anyway) the sales rep was really pushing for me to get the base Boxster....exact same color and options for $10000 less. He kept telling me that there is no reason to get an S unless you are going to race it. Any insight on this? I thought that it was odd.

Anyway.....I'm curious if I got a good deal or not. I asked for and got $3000 off the MSRP. I made a couple of rookie mistakes that I would be happy to share if anyone is interested that cost me about $700. I also traded in my SUV. I should have taken it to carmax or sold it to a friend. Porsche gave me just over what I owed. I would not trade in a non-Porsche vehicle....again I didn't know any better.

Bottom line is I bought a fairly stripped down S with an MSRP of $57000 and got $3000 off so $54000 before tax. I'm happy - Seal Grey - the color I wanted with heated seats but no bose/windstop which I did really want.

Curious if anyone wants to comment or share their experience.

gkutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:18 PM   #2

Congrats ! good for you, I'm sure you'll love it.

We've all made bad calls or things we'd have done differently in hindsight, but it sounds like you did OK. I too bought my Box impulsively so know the mindset combined with the dealer rigamarole is a dangerous mix.

I would agree on the dealer's comment regarding the base, but I'm sure every S owner will disagree...whatever works for you. I'm guessing that the dealer's motive was somewhat ulterior in that there seems to be a boatload more base models than S's sitting on SoCal dealer lots at the moment, more so than usual. I routinely check out dealer inventory in our area when I'm bored, or thinking I might see an unusual color or option combination.

You can get the windstop installed post-purchase (it does make a difference), but not the Bose. S comes with a couple more speakers than the base, but I don't have personal experience listening to your Sound Package Plus.

S model is to get the 3.4 for '07, but don't let that get you down The only other option I would have investigated would be purchasing an '05 S, which some dealers still have in inventory and are offering sizable incentives on, but you should have no regrets.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:21 PM   #3

welcome and congrats! I bought an 05 987 in Feb of this year - new, left over inventory. you'll regret not having the windstop - so you should invest in it - makes top down, which is everyday where we live, so much more enjoyable!

once you ride in another 987 with the bose system, you'll regret that you don't have it. and, unfortunately, there are no wiring diagrams or dash kits yet for the 987, so upgrading to an aftermarket system, which can be done, is a risking undertaking.

it's cool to say you have an S - but I bet put up against most people in their 987 S models - i'd run parallel if not edge out in a straight run (at least up to 100). on the track, again, depending on driver, but in that arena the S would lend an advantage! for a couple of grand (aftermarket or techquipment) there are some nice things that you can do to a nonS 987 to make it even edgier and more distinct from every other 987's. but, when the car of your dreams is in front of you, someone else's advice is mere yada yada yada.

now that you have the S (once you break it in - which some say first 2000 miles, others say the day you drive it off the lot!) - drive it like a Porsche was meant to be driven and enjoy those extra 40hp!
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987

S model is to get the 3.4 for '07, but don't let that get you down The only other option I would have investigated would be purchasing an '05 S, which some dealers still have in inventory and are offering sizable incentives on, but you should have no regrets.
sd - where'd you come across this info? folks at Walter's are either in the dark or they work for the US gov't, cuz they're deny it!

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 05-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #5

Mach, read my first post that kicked off this thread...

3.4-295-250-07

Eslai heard the same thing from the same dealer (Pioneer). Other dealers have confirmed this as well (as read on Rennteam). It obviously doesn't behoove the dealers to be advertising the increase, when they have gazillions of unsold '06s on the lot. However, for whatever reason, some have chosen to be forthcoming with the info.

I'm not sure why people are so surprised. Power increases are in keeping with the evolution of the 986 and needed (and then some) to keep pace with the competition. Boxster owners know that the current models have good kick, but to the novice roadster shopper, 280 hp looks...lacking...when compared to 333 (Z4M) and 355 (AMG SLK55).

I guess we'll know soon enough. My Rep is going to email the 07 order guide when available, and the 07s should be on the lot in the fall.

With regard to the Bose system, my understanding is that the principal deterrent to a post-purchase install is the replacement of both door panels.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 05-09-2006 at 10:15 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #6

I was deciding between a 987 and a 987S and test drove both of them. In the end I went with the old adage of "you'll never be disappointed by buying top of the line".

I'm a bit of a speed freak so for me the 987S was the right choice. The base model is nice, but the extra kick of the S is noticeable.

The Bose system is actually really underwhelming. I'm not impressed at all. The "subwoofer" is really crappy and doesn't really play anything in the "sub" range. It's just a big woofer with crappy placement and it tends to overwhelm you with its thumping and distorts things pretty awfully.

I haven't heard the non-Bose system though but for the money, there's better things you could buy.

I'm sending my car to Reus Systems next week--they'll be doing an upgrade to the stereo system that includes replacing the subwoofer with a real one. I'll let y'all know how it goes. It's not a cheap upgrade though and I'm not sure how much it would cost for those that don't already have a Bose system. Reus will be "enhancing" my stock system without replacing any of the speakers, so if you had the standard stereo instead, I'm not sure how much more work they'd need to do.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #7

I agree with Mach Schnell that a base model in capable hands would keep up with an S...however when I purchansed my 2000 S, I also drove a 2003 base immediately after I drove the S. My opinion walking away is that the S is much more fun to drive in daily situations than the base simply because it seemed to have more low end torque. I am saying this without actually comparing the numbers...
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach schnell
it's cool to say you have an S - but I bet put up against most people in their 987 S models - i'd run parallel if not edge out in a straight run (at least up to 100).

drive it like a Porsche was meant to be driven and enjoy those extra 40hp!
I don't know how you could conclude this to be the case in a "straight run" between a S and non-S. Given the 40hp difference and the close ratio six speed of the S it would walk a non S easily. You would have to be up against a really poor driver who cannot shift to make this a reality.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #9

To S or not to S..... I drove an 05 987 prior to purchasing my 01S. I couldnt really afford the 2005 S at the time without mortgaging it so the base 05 and a pre owned S were on the list. After spending a good hour in the 987, it only took 10 minutes to know that I would be more happy in the 986 S! I definately felt the power of the S over the 987. There were so many good things about the 987 I liked... looks and interior design mainly... at the end of the day, I felt the best upgrade over my 2000 M roadster was definately the 986 S. Now I ended up with a 2001 simply because it was a 1 owner 20k mile loaded car with all the options I wanted... sure I could have gotten an 02 or 03, but I saved some money and instantly added the B and B exhaust and Evo intake before I drove it off the lot!! No buyers remorse here!

By the way, Congrats on the new ride....For the price, you did well... I was looking at the new Bmw M Roadster this weekend and it top 62K!! Way too much!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl AMG
I don't know how you could conclude this to be the case in a "straight run" between a S and non-S. Given the 40hp difference and the close ratio six speed of the S it would walk a non S easily. You would have to be up against a really poor driver who cannot shift to make this a reality.
come on carl - first off - is the S an auto or a 6 spd? if auto, vs non-S 5 or 6 spd - no chance - S loses! If the non-S has the short shifter (OEM or aftermarket) - further destruction of the S!

next, look at the specs between S and non-S with manual transmissions. those are best condition numbers and they're barely different - especially up through 62km/h. furthermore - 40 hp is not that much (granted, coupled with increased torque - you have something). but, if you're gonna boil every race simply down to which car has more horsepower then why bother lining up - just get a bunch of math geeks together and let them nerd it out over a couple cases of rootbeer!

i've seen and/or participated in a number of lil side-by-side scrimmages where the vehicle with lesser horsepower took the cake! (can remember my friend's 4 spd reliant in high school that left a shocked look on some dumbass in a mid 60's chevelle.)

point of my rant, for the extra money that one spends on an S - essentially for a few more hp and torque and dual buttholes - you really don't get much. hmmm, maybe this way - if you're buying the car for sheer power - either in a straight line or through the curves - then the money is better directed to something like a cayman. if you're buying the car for the roadster appeal and oh, by the way, it's got power and handling to die for, then the money is better spent on the non-S.

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 05-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #11

I think the problem with your argument is that the boxster S has more torque and power over the entire rev range. Sure, you might be a bit better on a launch, but the short shifter isn't going to do a damned thing, and why are you comparing a tiptronic to a manual?

"...I bet put up against most people in their 987 S models - i''d run parallel if not edge out in a straight run (at least up to 100)." That's a pretty ballsy statement there, especially since you're comparing two cars that for all intents and purposes are exactly alike, other than the fact that one has more power than the other.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I think the problem with your argument is that the boxster S has more torque and power over the entire rev range. Sure, you might be a bit better on a launch, but the short shifter isn't going to do a damned thing, and why are you comparing a tiptronic to a manual?

"...I bet put up against most people in their 987 S models - i''d run parallel if not edge out in a straight run (at least up to 100)." That's a pretty ballsy statement there, especially since you're comparing two cars that for all intents and purposes are exactly alike, other than the fact that one has more power than the other.
commented on short shifter b/c carlamg made mention of 987S 6spd as an advantage - well 987 can have short shifter as well. compared auto to manual b/c you never know - in fact, maybe the 987S is manual and the non-S is auto - well, then pretty much a no brainer unless you're girlfriend is driving the S and it's she's a manual-virgin!

again, are you gonna tell me that you've never seen a stock integra beat a 5.0 mustang? mustang clearly has more power - so what happened - gov't scandal???

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 05-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #13

Quote:
commented on short shifter b/c carlamg made mention of 987S 6spd as an advantage - well 987 can have short shifter as well.

compared auto to manual b/c you never know - in fact, maybe the 987S is manual and the non-S is auto - well, then pretty much a no brainer unless you're girlfriend is driving the S and it's she's a manual-virgin!

again, are you gonna tell me that you've never seen a stock integra beat a 5.0 mustang? mustang clearly has more power - so what happened - gov't scandal???
Carl mentioned the 6-speed not because of it having shorter shifts (it does not), but because of the shorter gears allowing it to take better advantage of the power band.

Your comparison of an Integra versus a Mustang is a very bad one. Again, the Boxster and the Boxster S are just about the same car--the only real difference in a straight line is that one has more power throughout the entire power band. A Mustang and an Integra have totally different torque curves and driver skill would be a much larger factor.

I take umbrage with your statements only because they're far too all-encompassing--stating that you'd beat most 987S owners with your stock 987?! Wow, you are... confident...
Old 05-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Wow, you are... confident...
eslai - i'll take that as a compliment - most people misconstrue my confidence as cockiness, which it is not.

in all reality - this forum represents a small majority of boxster owner's nationwide. i've seen my share of mid-life crisis'rs and trophy wife's cruising around in their boxes - my (over) generalization, then, that "most" drivers would be easy to beat is based upon some of the other folk i see grannying around in their porsches.

since none of us (on this forum) have mullets and don't wear def leppard shirts i can say with relative 'confidence' we won't be meeting at ol county line road to race for pink slips!

and, i agree with dbth - the guy bought the car (like i said before, when the car of your dreams is before you, everyone else's opinion is yada yada yada), so enjoy it and don't worry about S or non S.

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 05-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #15

Quote:
i've seen my share of mid-life crisis'rs and trophy wife's cruising around in their boxes - my (over) generalization, then, that "most" drivers would be easy to beat is based upon some of the other folk i see grannying around in their porsches.
Awww c'mon--you weren't really talking about people like THAT when you were saying your 987 could beat most 987S in a straight line were you? That totally doesn't count!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Awww c'mon--you weren't really talking about people like THAT when you were saying your 987 could beat most 987S in a straight line were you? That totally doesn't count!
yeah, you're right - i was trying to not hurt the feelings of those people who really think they can drive (fast)

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 05-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #17

Quote:
eslai - i'll take that as a compliment - most people misconstrue my confidence as cockiness, which it is not.

in all reality - this forum represents a small majority of boxster owner's nationwide. i've seen my share of mid-life crisis'rs and trophy wife's cruising around in their boxes - my (over) generalization, then, that "most" drivers would be easy to beat is based upon some of the other folk i see grannying around in their porsches.

since none of us (on this forum) have mullets and don't wear def leppard shirts i can say with relative 'confidence' we won't be meeting at ol county line road to race for pink slips!

and, i agree with dbth - the guy bought the car (like i said before, when the car of your dreams is before you, everyone else's opinion is yada yada yada), so enjoy it and don't worry about S or non S.
Hi,

I'd be careful with the wisecracks about Mullets. You don't want to incur anyone's wrath on your Boxster...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Carl mentioned the 6-speed not because of it having shorter shifts (it does not), but because of the shorter gears allowing it to take better advantage of the power band.
At least eslai understood what I was getting at...

Sorry...I guess I took it as obvious that I was talking a standard manual transmission car; 5spd versus 6spd. The close ratios of the 6 spd will keep the car in the meat of the powerband easier than a 5 speed. Of course you can order a 6 speed on a non S but, regardless of the transmission (5 speed, 6 speed or Tip) or short shifter or not, I stand by my statement that an S will beat a non S in a straight line contest.

If you want to bring in the equation a moron for a driver who can't drive with their foot to the floor in a straight line and/or shift a manual transmission you're right. However, that wouldn't make me feel great about the power of my car or my driving skills. But remember we are talking about one driver deciding on a car with more or less power for more or less money.

I doubt anyone is buying any Boxster for it's power or straight line prowess. It's certainly about the handling and open top fun for me. Given that I have a couple of other very fast cars and autocross/track my cars, the power of the car (even the S) is a negative point for me compared to some rivals. The chassis is so wonderfully competent that it could certainly handle an extra 50 hp over the S. I certainly wasn't going to pass on 40 more HP from the factory but it would certainly depend on someone's financial situation and their personal opinion on the cost/benefit ratio of the extra ponies (and 6 speed, bigger wheels and brakes, etc.)

I'm personally waiting patiently for a nice aftermarket header/exhaust combination to add some more ponies to my S but some of us are seduced by power and some of us aren't. Buy the one that is right for you, enjoy it and don't look back.
Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:52 AM   #19
bmussatti

[QUOTE=dbth][QUOTE=gkutta]

How does 6'2" fit into the Boxster?

I am 6'2" and the car fits me well. The 986 offered me much less room & head room when I rented one in Colorado a couple years ago.