Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 05:10 AM   #1

2001 2.7 A few questions

After a 4 year break I have decided to get another Boxster. I've got a few questions:-

1. The car I've bought was serviced last year at 80k miles (June). It has only covered 4k miles since then. What is the service recommendations for this year as its only covered 4k? A normal service, no service, oil service?

2. Apart from the engine size, was there any difference between the 2.7 and the 2.5? I vaguely seem to remember the roof was thicker or was that the 3.2S? Anything else?

Thanks

oxtailsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:17 AM   #2

Its 217hp vs. 200hp which you may or may not feel, after 4 years not likely. The 3.2 has a thicker roof, but the standard roof is just fine really. All the same failures that the 2.5 has the 2.7 also has (and the 3.2 for that matter) so your in the same boat. Theres a small chance you could have RMS and pretty well no chance of an engine failure now after covering that many miles. It would have shown up by now.

I would change the oil anyway just as a matter of precaution. Check the air pressure in all your tires, and look at the insides of the rear tires for wear. The most common sign of wear on the rear of the boxster tires is sawbladeing which means the blocks on the rear are worn on every other block. So one high one low one high one low etc etc.. Thats normal wear from lots of negative camber on the rear of the car. It will make the tires more noisy than usual. If you hear lots of tire noise chances are you need some new tires.

Enjoy.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:58 AM   #3

Thanks Jim,

Both my 2 previous 2.5 Boxsters needed the rear oil seal replacing. One in warranty and the other out of warranty (ouch!!). I was hoping the 2.7 didn't have the same issues as I seem to remember that the 2.5 seals were not adequate so you would think they would have sorted that out. Still with 80k miles plus I should be ok.

Rear tyres fine. Fronts worn but that was reflected in price really.

Service. What is the OPC recommendation? Would an oil service be ok? I can't remember if it was annual servicing or mileage based servicing or what?

Thanks

Last edited by oxtailsoup; 05-11-2006 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:18 AM   #4

Smile

Suggest you try to recreate the entire service history on the car.

The intervals for the service are every 15k so the 80 is out of sequence.

If you have a service schedule booklet from the car, consult. If not, suggest you purchase one from the dealer, at like $15. This will inform you as to what was SUPPOSED to have been done to the car.

I would ALWAYS start with fresh Mobil 1 and a oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, drive belt and say plugs if I had no documentation on when this was last done.

But that is just me.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:29 AM   #5

Hi Bruce,

It has a full OPC service history but I don't have the book with me.

So you are saying that the servicing needs to be done by mileage not annually? That's fine, I'll just book it in for an oil change for now and I'll check the service intervals when I get home.

Thanks guys.