Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 05:08 AM   #1
Registered User
 
CoBeerToad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Peoria IL
Posts: 526
Garage
Winter storage - door seals

Can't find any discussion on this with my half effort searching skills on this board.

I heard somewhere about leaving the doors cracked when storing over the winter to prevent the door seals from... doing something they shouldn't be doing, I guess.

While I don't think the idea is complete crackpot, it does sound a little out there.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #2
2003 Base 5-speed
 
grc0456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Stoneham, MA
Posts: 881
Garage
I've seen indies advise to leave the windows cracked before storing and wondered if this was just to keep it from getting musty, but saving the door seals makes sense too.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
Can't find any discussion on this with my half effort searching skills on this board.

I heard somewhere about leaving the doors cracked when storing over the winter to prevent the door seals from... doing something they shouldn't be doing, I guess.

While I don't think the idea is complete crackpot, it does sound a little out there.
If the door and window seals are treated with "Gummi fledge" (German for rubber lubricant), the doors and windows can remain closed without problems.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
2003 Base 5-speed
 
grc0456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Stoneham, MA
Posts: 881
Garage
Oh, good because I treat liberally with the funny sounding Gummi Fledge.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:35 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southern New jersey
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If the door and window seals are treated with "Gummi fledge" (German for rubber lubricant), the doors and windows can remain closed without problems.
What happens if they're not treated, do the seals stick and become damaged ?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:30 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 1,557
Aerospace 303 is also very good on your door seals (rubber, tires, plastic, vinyl). I winter hibernate my cars completely closed, on battery maintainer, with a few pounds of desiccant in the cabin and frunk (trunk too when I had a Boxster). Been doing this for over 10 years from October till April. Cars are in Concours condition.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
What happens if they're not treated, do the seals stick and become damaged ?
They tend to dry out and harden, which can lead to sticking and splits. Treating them annually keeps them soft and flexible, and also keeps them from squeaking as well.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Scituate MA
Posts: 818
I just pull the battery out and put in basement. Is that bad?
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 885
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
I just pull the battery out and put in basement. Is that bad?
You can do that too, I prefer to leave mine on a battery maintainer so I'm not doing a hard reset on the car every winter. It's better for the overall life of the battery too I believe.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #10
Registered User
 
CoBeerToad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Peoria IL
Posts: 526
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post
with a few pounds of desiccant in the cabin and frunk (trunk too when I had a Boxster). Been doing this for over 10 years from October till April. Cars are in Concours condition.
Few pounds? Meaning about 1500 of those little 1 gram packet things? I'm not in the know, but that seems like a lot.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page