Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #1

learning the box

Been learning a lot about the Boxster. Having read the owners manual, the Bentley Svc manual, followed and researched this site, and nosed around the car, I've discovered:
1. I had the tool kit and lug lock socket all along - just didn't know it was tucked away behind the spare
2. The "jumper" for the front trunk release is easily accessable in the fuse panel
3. The RR fog light (that I couldn't find any power to) is designed this way and not supposed to light in the US
4. The options (via the codes) that our Boxster came with
5. and lots of other very nicely engineered features.

One item I'm going to explore in the next few days is the RMS drip. According to all I read and observe, I'm leaning toward believing our car has too much oil in it. With the engine cold, the oil level is up on the dipstick shaft ~ 1/8" and the digital scale (onboard computer) is at full scale as opposed to between the min/max marks. I'm going to pull the level down where it should be to see if the seal drip goes away.... I'll report back.

I've also had the top and front engine covers off so I can explore and learn the engine compartment and what condition everything is in - all appears to be well under there.

Until then...I'm enjoying the learning curve and thankful for all you guys and gals.
:dance:

04 Honda Element
07 Nissan Murano

Last edited by rodsnhawgs; 05-08-2006 at 10:34 PM.
rodsnhawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #2

it is possible that the previos owner knew he had a leak and topped up the oil as much as he could before selling.
Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #3

rats!... dropped the oil level one full quart, which got down to the full mark on the dipstick and the digital bar graph. However, after a spirited drive yesterday evening, the dreaded drip is on the garage floor... Looks like I'll be tearing this baby down before long for the RMS. I'll take lots of pics and keep ya posted.

Finallygottaporsche: It's possible the previous owner did this on "questionalble motives" but probably not likely. When I bought the car, although I didn't get it on a rack (knew better and highly recommend it), I did crawl on the floor w/ a flashlight looking as best I could for any sign of a RMS leak - I couldn't see any evidence either on the car or on the floor. I suppose it's possible the seller could have cleaned it down knowing there was a leak... if so, he's the guy who has to live w/ himself. I know when this baby leaves me, she'll be better than I found her....
04 Honda Element
07 Nissan Murano
Old 05-10-2006, 07:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsnhawgs
rats!... dropped the oil level one full quart, which got down to the full mark on the dipstick and the digital bar graph. However, after a spirited drive yesterday evening, the dreaded drip is on the garage floor... Looks like I'll be tearing this baby down before long for the RMS. I'll take lots of pics and keep ya posted.

Finallygottaporsche: It's possible the previous owner did this on "questionalble motives" but probably not likely. When I bought the car, although I didn't get it on a rack (knew better and highly recommend it), I did crawl on the floor w/ a flashlight looking as best I could for any sign of a RMS leak - I couldn't see any evidence either on the car or on the floor. I suppose it's possible the seller could have cleaned it down knowing there was a leak... if so, he's the guy who has to live w/ himself. I know when this baby leaves me, she'll be better than I found her....

Hi,

Sorry for your issues, but you'll get them sorted. BTW, the Top Bar on the digi-display is Overfilled, you want it no higher than the next one down. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #5

Thx MN - yes, I noted that from the owners manual and that's right where it is now.

I ordered RMS parts, second key (in its entirety), etc. today from Brumo's Porsche in Jacksonville, FL. They were $130 cheaper on the key than my local dealer and $50 less than Sunset! Ed, in parts said to tell all my friends - you guys might give him a call if you need anything 800/726-9155. BTW, he had everything I wanted in stock (as opposed to my local dealer who said it would take 3 weeks to get a key from Germany!!). Since you are all the Porsche friends I know, I thought I'd tell you.....
04 Honda Element
07 Nissan Murano
Old 05-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #6

Rodsnhawgs,

Thanks for the post, you just made my night. I brought home my Boxster last week "minus" the tool kit, which I thought was odd since it was in such great condition, had all the manuals, both keys, and overall seemed perfect. After I saw your post I decided to do a thorough check of the spare tire area and sure enough, there it was, behind the tire cover pocket in with the spare tire, along with the plastic gloves. Thanks again, keep those little discoveries coming.
78 Jeep CJ

Last edited by BoxsterBrad; 05-10-2006 at 07:10 PM.
BoxsterBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:42 AM   #7

Rod -

Show us your 55 Coupe Deville and chopped 48 Chevy pickup.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #8

Here's a rod and a hawg.... '34 Ford 3 window coupe (sold it last summer) and my Roadking. The Caddy is a decent driver but not a show car. And, as you can see, the old truck has a long way to go. Boxed frame, 4 wheel disc brakes, 9" Ford rearend, power rack, showing a TPI but will probably end up w/ a blower and 2 fours, 3 1/2" chop. BTW, are any of you guys going to "the wall" on Memorial Day? God bless our vets.
04 Honda Element
07 Nissan Murano

Last edited by rodsnhawgs; 05-12-2006 at 06:08 PM. Reason: add text
Old 05-13-2006, 05:48 AM   #9

Very nice! Looks like you have a nice big garage for your car hobby.

98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote