Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #61

While I have absolutely no interest in doing anything like this (my 2000 S is bone stock and will stay that way) I'm getting a real thrill reading your progress and am amazed at your vision, artistry, and fabrication skills. I'm looking forward to following this thread through to completion. Keep it up and enjoy your new house.

Larry (The Bald Eagle)

Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmodz View Post
madmechanics dot com is a great site for custom fiberglass cars and molds. Someone there is making a 911 kit for the boxster. It actually looks really really good.
great site to glean from. I go three frequently.

yes i am a member there. do you recognize that car? shhh there is only three of us with that car and i got the molds its gonna be sick!!! drive train are already bought, frames are about 80% done. working on fitment now.... well in my spare time
Attached Images

compinsating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
While I have absolutely no interest in doing anything like this (my 2000 S is bone stock and will stay that way) I'm getting a real thrill reading your progress and am amazed at your vision, artistry, and fabrication skills. I'm looking forward to following this thread through to completion. Keep it up and enjoy your new house.

Larry (The Bald Eagle)
thank you sir... very appreciated.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #64

Im madmods on there with an s instead of Z. That name was taken on here and Ive had it for 20 plus years.
I am having a brain freeze with the car. When I saw the sides I said Koenigsegg.
The front throws me off. Are you on a stretched boxster?

Im currently working on this on a stretched 986. Going to play with a turbo on this one. And please no hate guys, some of us just love building this crazy stuff.

madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:49 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmodz View Post
Im madmods on there with an s instead of Z. That name was taken on here and Ive had it for 20 plus years.
I am having a brain freeze with the car. When I saw the sides I said Koenigsegg.
The front throws me off. Are you on a stretched boxster?

Im currently working on this on a stretched 986. Going to play with a turbo on this one. And please no hate guys, some of us just love building this crazy stuff.

not a replica, its a one off. tube chassis and no donor parts other than control arms. everything is being made custom. i am building two of them one for myself and one for my brother. mine is a 383lt1/boxster s transmission and my brothers is a 5.3 twin turbo/audi 5hp transmission. both will be over 500hp. the 5.3 will be in the 700hp(twin gt35's ) range.

don't turbo your 986.... swap out the 3.8sc out of a gtp like i am $1300 for the adapter kit and will make plenty of power.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:18 AM   #66

so last night... ya i didn't get much done. i got home and couldn't keep my eyes open and took short nap which made my motivation afterwards pretty much not there lol but i did get the passengers side rear bumper started.

so this is about an 1 1/4 lap joint I'm doing for attaching the parts i made. from my limited experience and things I've read.. its the strongest joint and easiest to work with. attaching the parts i make for the quarters.. not sure on those yet.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:02 AM   #67

mission accomplished i now have a wide rear bumper. its not pretty yet but it will be. very happy with how well the parts lined up(pic with finger in it) now i can get that mounted to the car and start on quarters. to the fiberglass guys... i know the screws are a bad idea. i will deal with them later, i could find a better way to suck the part to the bumper.

also trimmed off the lower lip of the aluminum front bumper for fitting.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #68

well the rear bumper is mounted and secured. sorry if theses posts seem repetitive and doesn't look to different from previous pics but there is actually hours into these little changes lol should be making the rear quarters bucks by the end of the week. very happy with the way it fits on. i'm not to the pretty work yet but I'm making good progress.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #69
Reebuck1

Garage
Body Work

Very good work!!! We are all watching closely.......................so DON'T STOP !!!
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #70

How are you attaching the rear bumper fiberglass pieces to the old urethane rear bumper?

I hope you are not going for the "seamless" look, because it will not last very long with the fiberglass bonded to the urethane.

Let me put it another way. If it were easy to seamlessly bond and repair urethane bumpers, more people would be doing it.

Thermal expansion rate is also way different between the two.
FauxDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:26 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebuck1 View Post
Very good work!!! We are all watching closely.......................so DON'T STOP !!!
thanks, i'm not
Old 07-13-2016, 02:29 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxDiablo View Post
How are you attaching the rear bumper fiberglass pieces to the old urethane rear bumper?

I hope you are not going for the "seamless" look, because it will not last very long with the fiberglass bonded to the urethane.

Let me put it another way. If it were easy to seamlessly bond and repair urethane bumpers, more people would be doing it.

Thermal expansion rate is also way different between the two.
no debate here. I'm aware of the short life of this bumper. plan on making a complete fiberglass bumper down the road. I have no pole barn in this new house... yet. in a year or so I'll pull the bumper and make a new one when I have more space.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:05 AM   #73

So if I understand clearly, what you are doing now is just sculpting the shape you want. Once that's done you remove evrything and mold one piece?

For the sculting process, can't you use some sort of clay for this instead of chemicals fibers and all that trouble? Any clay that solidify after let's say 48hrs or something? Can't believe we don't have this stuff already?

Possibly called bondo I don;t know man, inexperienced here apologies

Can you please invent any of that Super Car Clay? I want shark shaped front fenders on my roadsta
Old 07-13-2016, 03:16 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
So if I understand clearly, what you are doing now is just sculpting the shape you want. Once that's done you remove evrything and mold one piece?

For the sculting process, can't you use some sort of clay for this instead of chemicals fibers and all that trouble? Any clay that solidify after let's say 48hrs or something? Can't believe we don't have this stuff already?

Possibly called bondo I don;t know man, inexperienced here apologies

Can you please invent any of that Super Car Clay? I want shark shaped front fenders on my roadsta
ya pretty much... I mean the bumper is done as far as shaping it. now I have a rear bumper I'm going to use. like mentioned above.. it will have a short life but the remake will not be complicated since i already have the bumper made to mold from.

the quarters are in the state you mentioned. still sculpting and shaping to make my buck. i'm not sold on the look of the quarters yet. i feel there needs to be a little more detail around the vents. I'm kicking around some more idea in my head.

I've used clay(have a lot of it just sitting in a wet bag) before and I'm just not a fan of it. the pros use it over my method but I just don't like it. to be honest ... I'm loving the drywall mud the most so far. I've tried quite a few different things over the years and the dry wall mud is sooooo easy to work with. it sands like no other and super easy to apply. some might say I'm crazy but this is just for the buck phase and i don't see any reason to not go the path of least resistance

bondo... i live in Michigan and getting bondo to not gum up sand paper is rare, just to much humidity up here in the summer.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #75
1999 base

Garage
i think the drywall mud is brilliant idea.
easy to use and also cheap.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
i think the drywall mud is brilliant idea.
easy to use and also cheap.
This is what Ed Roth / Rat Fink used.

Barris too.
FauxDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:40 AM   #77

its a lot nicer to work with. on thing i would suggest when making your buck... spray bomb or coat it with something because the wax just soaks into the mud and makes for a longer process to separate the buck.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #78

we have a passenger side mold. this is taking way longer then i had planned recommend not using the spray foam. the dry wall mud is great but the foam.. worth spending the money for the good pour in place foam.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:25 AM   #79

Quick update

success!! my first part is pulled. came out pretty good, and popped with ease. i need to clean it up, trim it and stick it to the car. than i can start doing the bondo and pretty work. drivers side shouldn't be to far behind.

i would love some opinions on rear wings. i want something back there other than the factory wing. not to big(ricer) but something that stands off the a few inches but still looks classy.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:43 AM   #80

I've seen a couple kits that use the 986 as the "Donor Car" as a matter of fact I was looking into the one Madmodz is working on when I realized that the 986's were not all that expensive in the first place.

Personally I really enjoy seeing folks creativity at work and its stuff like this that pushes boundaries and opens up a world of possibilities, like all the countless mods us folks enjoy here.

I wonder if anyone has listed all the mods that are possible, because I'm thinking there might be 100 or more.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote