Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

First Service Results

Just performed the first service on my 2000 Boxster S. I bought the car in July with 60820 miles and it now has 61786 miles. It's the first opportunity I have had to work on the car.

The good news: I replaced the air filter, cabin filter, serpentine belt, and changed the oil and filter. Never having worked on the car before I was a little hesitant but everything was fairly simple to work on.

The not so good news: I discovered a tear in the outer CV boot of the driver's side CV axle (looks like it has been torn for some time). There is a small oil leak around the #3 spark plug (I have new oil tubes and seals which I will replace in the next few weeks). The area around the coil is damp rather than a significant leak (no oil on the garage floor).

The sort of worrying news: there were some small shiny flecks in the old oil filter (which fell apart as I was looking through the pleats). There were also some flecks in the bottom of the drain pan once I had poured out the old oil. I cleaned off the flecks and checked and some were ferrous. I replaced the original oil plug with a magnetic plug and I have the kit to send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs. I have attached a couple of pictures of the drain pan.

I had the car scheduled for the IMS Solution upgrade from Flat 6 Innovations later this month but there was a supply issue and this has been postponed until late March or early April. My plan is to first fix the torn CV boot (replace the boot and re-pack if the joint is not damaged or replace the whole CV axle). Next, drive the car for 500 miles or so and change the oil again and look for any debris on the drain plug, the filter, or the drain pan. I would welcome any suggestions.

alynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #2

Garage
When was the oil change previous to the one you just did. Raby will not do a retrofit if your car has metal in the filter. I'd recommend driving for a bit and changing oil again to see what you get. Magnetic drain plug will also be helpful.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #3

To get a more transparent picture of the health of your engine, I would suggest you drop the oil pan after the 500 miles and inspect the contents ie, see if there is any more metal or plastic debris lying there.
It would be a good idea to replace the CV boots (both inner & outer) on each side, as its a known weakness on the S model. Don't leave the torn boot for long as dirt will destroy the (expensive) bearing. Pelican sells replacement boot/clip/grease kits very reasonably priced.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:39 AM   #4
Master Brewer

Garage
For a hundred bucks you can purchase a filter magnet (FilterMag) to pull any metallic grit from your oil. I'd change the oil & filter, install the magnets and run it for 500 miles. Drop the filter and see what you get. Make your decision with more information....
2004 Ford F-150 4X4 Crew
6 Fast Bicycles
Bootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #5

Many thanks for the recommendations. The PO had changed the oil in April 2015 at 60518 miles and had only driven the car less than 10K miles in five years of ownership. I will install the magnets and report back on the filter and oil pan contents in 500 miles. I'll also talk to Flat 6 about postponing the IMS upgrade. Thanks again.

alynch is offline   Reply With Quote