Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #81

Looks better. The only suggestion I would offer, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to execute or whether or not everyone here agrees with me, but I would like to see it blended into the taillight better. If you look at the 981 there is no height discrepancy between the spoiler and the taillight where they meet. Yours looks like it sticks up about an inch or so. Other than that I like it. Also, for the sake of continuity, maybe make it more closely follow the angle of the trunk seam when viewed from the top? (5th pic in your last post)

boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #82

Very nice with the rounded edges !!!
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #83

Awesome! I look forward to seeing the painted final. Your ability is amazing.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:36 PM   #84

Wow nice ......Yes that's it getting there the hard part is gentlely softening the side profile edges as well so it all looks cohesive...and trailing edge tangent to side edge relief....so no nubs are present in the final. Yes spacing with boot lid and tail light contours will make all the difference

Very nice work....not sure how you are managing this by hand? You could easily give up your day job and start shaping custom surf boards for a living!!

I would think you would have to scan it and final shape in an SM package then CNC or print for a symmetrical end product???

Anyway looks great!

Last edited by jaykay; 01-22-2016 at 08:50 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #85

Cool 986 Spoiler

Hello everybody

I have just put a couple of photos on to show the line I followed for the spoiler.

No SM package or CNC here, all hand crafted by myself.

Last edited by derfo; 01-23-2016 at 01:31 PM. Reason: wrong photos
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #86

Cool 986 Spoiler

Hello everybody

I have just put a couple of photos on to show the line I followed for the spoiler.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #87

Why not put some end caps? Small, tasteful, and that would sit just above the paint?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
pkp4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfo View Post
Hello everybody

Gotcha. Didn't realize you had been using the stock spoiler as a guide.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:36 AM   #89

After studying the pics I'm torn between the flat side vs. rounded. The flat side to my eye looks finished and transitions well from the " fat " side to the thinner trailing edge. The rounded looks good but the transition from fat side to thin trailing edge is just a little off. Maybe it's just me and maybe some of that would go away with paint color vs. primer. Also I think the flat side carries out the angle of the OEM spoiler top better than the rounded. Or I could be full of crap . I would have no problem installing either one on my car and will continue to follow this thread.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 01-24-2016, 04:37 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
After studying the pics I'm torn between the flat side vs. rounded. The flat side to my eye looks finished and transitions well from the " fat " side to the thinner trailing edge. The rounded looks good but the transition from fat side to thin trailing edge is just a little off. Maybe it's just me and maybe some of that would go away with paint color vs. primer. Also I think the flat side carries out the angle of the OEM spoiler top better than the rounded. Or I could be full of crap . I would have no problem installing either one on my car and will continue to follow this thread.
I think the same thing. Maybe pics from further back will help?
Old 01-24-2016, 05:21 AM   #91

Derfo it's quite possible that all of our feedback may muddy the waters on what you will ultimately build. We all have an opinion and you can't custom build each one unless that's what you want to do. The more I think about it for you it might be easier to build your mold to the flat side pattern. If there is maybe some extra glass in that area of your layup the end user can customize as they seem fit. My guess is most of us will have a pro install these so end user finish to taste will be possible. I can sand/glass a completed part no problem but I don't have the skill set to build it from scratch. The way I look at it get me 95 % of the way there I'll take it from there. As long as it fits the top blade well that is probably the hardest part. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other as I have said I can live with either. But if you listen to all of us you'll end up with 25 molds
Old 01-24-2016, 05:53 AM   #92
Certified Boxster Addict

Excellent work! Looks great.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:29 AM   #93

Cool 986 Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Derfo it's quite possible that all of our feedback may muddy the waters on what you will ultimately build. We all have an opinion and you can't custom build each one unless that's what you want to do. The more I think about it for you it might be easier to build your mold to the flat side pattern. If there is maybe some extra glass in that area of your layup the end user can customize as they seem fit. My guess is most of us will have a pro install these so end user finish to taste will be possible. I can sand/glass a completed part no problem but I don't have the skill set to build it from scratch. The way I look at it get me 95 % of the way there I'll take it from there. As long as it fits the top blade well that is probably the hardest part. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other as I have said I can live with either. But if you listen to all of us you'll end up with 25 molds
Hello rfuerst911sc

You are on my wave length. Just showing what it would look like rounded and getting some feed back. I am going to make the mold from the yellow pattern with the straight edges. The rounding off can be done by each individual or by their refinishing shop.
I am going forward with this now so I will keep the forum posted. Its going to be two or three weeks. Thanks for all the good comments everybody.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #94
2002 Boxster S

Garage
One more opinion, if you want it. The rounded ends look more like the styling of the rest of the car. There are no hard edges or flat surfaces anywhere else in the car's design, so having them on the spoiler looks out of place to my eye. In fact, I would round the edges of the rounded edge design!
Old 01-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #95

Arrgg one day too late :/ next round I hope

Hello derfo

I have a feeling it is a tad too late to pass on ideas but will give it a shot anyway. Perhaps one day you’ll handcraft more of those spoilers so I am all hoping for these ideas to be taken into consideration. I am one that believe Rick had a brilliant idea to start this thread. Spoilers are getting hard and harder to find these days so your help and amazing workmanship is much appreciated.

It would be pretentious to say that the attached spoiler is better than any others on the market however this is the design that would get me to swap the one I have in a flash. Some comments below:

^ The top arch (radius) would need to be exactly as the one from the rear bumper. Both in rear view and bird view. Unlike the one I currently have on my car atm which is a totally different radius when looking from any angle. It really annoys my eyes and I'm sure others can see it - unconsciously :/

^ In this picture I’ve omit the fillets on the side profiles of the spoiler so you can better see the actual side profile. The concave area would essentially be under the spoiler instead of above like most aftermarket spoiler currently on the market. The top is a simple organic flow-curve which I’m hoping will support aerodynamics (it should, according to my non-existent wind tunnel results).

Source file available: I am happy to supply this design in a solid model file format (*.IGS) so you can get someone locally to precisely CNC it out of a block of high density foam for mold forming. It would need to be scaled to the exact dimensions by your CNC contractor and yourself. This is something I haven’t done and sadly won’t have time to do. I am effectively fully over-booked for the next coming 24months (minimum) so i would be great if someone like yourself would take the challenge eventually. Perhaps after you’ve completed the one you are doing now

Thanks for your time and consideration

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-24-2016 at 03:37 PM. Reason: hmm.. with the correct pic attached this time :/
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #96

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Hello derfo

I have a feeling it is a tad too late to pass on ideas but will give it a shot anyway. Perhaps one day you’ll handcraft more of those spoilers so I am all hoping for these ideas to be taken into consideration. I am one that believe Rick had a brilliant idea to start this thread. Spoilers are getting hard and harder to find these days so your help and amazing workmanship is much appreciated.

It would be pretentious to say that the attached spoiler is better than any others on the market however this is the design that would get me to swap the one I have in a flash. Some comments below:

^ The top arch (radius) would need to be exactly as the one from the rear bumper. Both in rear view and bird view. Unlike the one I currently have on my car atm which is a totally different radius when looking from any angle. It really annoys my eyes and I'm sure others can see it - unconsciously :/

^ In this picture I’ve omit the fillets on the side profiles of the spoiler so you can better see the actual side profile. The concave area would essentially be under the spoiler instead of above like most aftermarket spoiler currently on the market. The top is a simple organic flow-curve which I’m hoping will support aerodynamics (it should, according to my non-existent wind tunnel results).

Source file available: I am happy to supply this design in a solid model file format (*.IGS) so you can get someone locally to precisely CNC it out of a block of high density foam for mold forming. It would need to be scaled to the exact dimensions by your CNC contractor and yourself. This is something I haven’t done and sadly won’t have time to do. I am effectively fully over-booked for the next coming 24months (minimum) so i would be great if someone like yourself would take the challenge eventually. Perhaps after you’ve completed the one you are doing now

Hey Fred with your fancy computer simulators can't you simulate the car in a wind tunnel for us ? :P
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #97

lolll it actually can. Using nastran's solvers that are installed by default but would need to mesh the car and spoiler entirely. Takes minimum a day; I accept visa & mastercard

Think this one has it all, derfo's features copied into also... just to make sure he considers or at least look at the design. Fingers crossed X
Old 01-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #98

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Hello derfo

Hello Nine8Six (Fred)

Me Fred Too. Tasteful design. It looks really good, pleasing to the eye. All I need to do this is what you have put on your post, the photos. I can work from there. I may do this after mine. Thanks for the time and effort you put into this.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfo View Post
Hello Nine8Six (Fred)

Me Fred Too. Tasteful design. It looks really good, pleasing to the eye. All I need to do this is what you have put on your post, the photos. I can work from there. I may do this after mine. Thanks for the time and effort you put into this.
Thanks for considering

I bet it is appealing to your eyes, it’s the same as yours Just upside down (no downforce). The idea was to keep the flow from the back bonnet going really. Speed limits here are 80km/hrs max so downforce is not a mandatory feature let’s just say. Aerodynamics was more appealing in my case.

I may just grab yours, slice off the corners with a laser, and finally get rid of the now fuggly 'wing' on the back of my car. Really starting to hate it in fact... got to go.

I think you nailed it spot-on with that little ducktail (thanks to Rick also!). Keep us updated
Old 01-25-2016, 02:08 AM   #100

Garage
Great looking spoiler Fred.
Van

Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote