Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #1

Boxster hood lockout

I keep my '02 Boxster up in the hills, far from any town or Porsche tech. The rocker panel switch stopped "releasing" the front trunk. I found the auxiliary release wire that runs along the inner front fender and used that a few times. Now the release wire refuses to budge. The car sits unused for months at a time. Now I can't get the front lid open to connect the battery. How else to pop open that front lid? Using the jumper cable attachment inside the fuse box, I could hear the switch activating but the latch doesn't respond. Is my only option having a flatbed take it to a technician? Help. Thank you.

Hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #2

I would take it to the technician. Sounds like you have an issue with the wire.

I once used a black and decker battery pack that plugged into the cigarette lighter that fed just enough juice to the car to light up the dash which then allowed me to get the electric trunk release to open. I picked up at the Target two blocks down street. But I think with all the new much slimmer battery packs on the market today the unit I have was discontinued.
I now have the Cobra Jump pack but I don't think I can jump start the car from the cigarette lighter anymore, it has to go right on the battery itself. Those cigarette lighter jump packs would be handy in this situation.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #3

Sounds like the latch is mechanically frozen. If you can hear the switch activating using the fuse box connection, get a friend to pull up on the hood when you pull the switch.
luckyed7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:11 PM   #4

My front hood was bad about getting sticky and binding up at the latch mechanism itself whenever the car sat for long periods. It became nearly impossible to latch it or release it. I simply started spraying lithium grease on the latch every few months and it works super easily now.
Hopefully your fix will be as easy.
You might have to get a technician to get it freed up in the meantime or hit it with some heat. See if that frees it up a bit.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #5

I am locked out of my frunk. The emergency cable is not working either! I pull the cable but I never hear a "click". Is there any other way to get in? All suggestions are appreciated.

TexasBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster front lid , boxster hood release