Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper10000 View Post
Being that the very fine grit is passing through the spin on filter, since it's so fine, will it really hurt anything? I would agree that if it can be removed, then it's probably a good idea to do so but bottom line, is it doing any harm not removing it?
It is very fine, sand-like metal grit; very abrasive over the long term.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #42

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootlegger View Post
Any grit passing through your engine equals wear. Since you have already identified metal in your oil a small investment in a filter magnet makes perfect sense. Personally, I'd rather have a device to capture the culprit than a system that tells me it's there. Money better spent. JMHO.
Yeah, if you're going through all the trouble to buy a guardian and all these parts, why are filter magnets too much to deal with?
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #43

Ok, you all talked me into it. Now, which is the right way to go with that? Get the filter magnet from LN? Also I saw some talk about a cow magnet? Any idea what that is and where I would put it? I'm guessing in the oil sump somewhere? I was planning on running a Mobil 1 filter with the spin on adapter.
Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #44

Quote:
Ok, you all talked me into it. Now, which is the right way to go with that? Get the filter magnet from LN? Also I saw some talk about a cow magnet? Any idea what that is and where I would put it? I'm guessing in the oil sump somewhere? I was planning on running a Mobil 1 filter with the spin on adapter.
You can get a FilterMag from a boatload of online sources, including Jeg's and Amazon. You would need to check with the cow to find out where she gets hers....
Old 12-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #45

Thanks JFP!
Old 12-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #46

A cow magnet isn't as strong as a filter mag and may not be able to handle heat as well.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #47

I'll stick with a filtermag. IMS Guardian came in as well as new/used oil sump plate. Just waiting on spin on oil filter adapter. At least I can start putting everything back together short of the oil filter and filling with oil.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #48

Just an update...

Sump plate was reinstalled and spin on oil filter adapter installed. IMS guardian partly installed. Just need to run the wiring through the firewall, fill with oil, and start driving. I'll post the progress as time goes on. Oh, and I need to connect Durametric to it and play with that. The filter mag came in too and I can't believe how much pull that magnet has. I had to put a lot of force on it to remove it from the filter. It seems like that is a great way to go for any and every vehicle. I would highly recommend it!

Last edited by Viper10000; 01-01-2016 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 01-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #49

Garage
Late comment

Quote:
I'm guessing those black specs are part of the chain ramps. As for ferrous metal, it was such a small amount. I'll pull the sump off tomorrow. I need to go find some loctite 5900 or equivalent so I can reassemble (assuming no problems).
My 2000 s had small plastic chips, turned out the chain carriers were coming apart.
mcdandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdandc View Post
My 2000 s had small plastic chips, turned out the chain carriers were coming apart.

Did you replace them or did you leave them alone? Those are the ones where you need to split the case to get to, right?
Old 01-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #51

Everything is back together and a test drive will occur tomorrow. I started the car and it sounded good. Popped the oil cap off while running so aos seems good too. I'll post the results of the drive tomorrow. Should be about 40 miles. Thanks again everyone for their help and recommendations!
Old 01-18-2016, 05:26 AM   #52

Car seems to be normal. It ran good, sounded good, nothing unusual. I'll pull the oil filter and cut it open after I put maybe 300-500 miles on it and see what that reveals.