Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
808 Boxster

Garage
Remote Entry Option?

I purchased a used 2001 Boxster here on Oahu back in 2013 and am working through a key issue. It came with a single key only and no buttons on it other than one round button for a light. I have been using the key to manually lock and unlock the doors without issue until the driver side door lock went 'limp' - spins freely without locking or unlocking the door. The key still works on the passenger side and that is how I have been locking and unlocking the car. I am working the lock issue in a separate thread but when I stopped by the dealer they said the car never had remote entry.

Is that possible? Was keyless entry an option in 2001 and the original owner declined?

How can I verify if my car has remote entry 'installed' or available - meaning I would be a new key fob and having it programmed away from keyless entry?

bsuttonboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
You probably just need to buy the key fobs and have them programmed at a dealer or somewhere that has a PWIS

The best price I have found for the fob is $127 + shipping at Genuineporscheparts.com
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #3

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
looks like my key fob for the 944 .... think they just switched the key
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:08 AM   #4

Owners manual for my 2001 clearly indicates remote locking is an option and if you don't have it you have a key just like yours.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:22 AM   #5

Garage
Remote entry can be added along with an alarm you just won't have the capability to add the Porsche system unless you feel like spending an absurd amount of money.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #6

Check your option codes on the sticker under the hood, and match them up with something like https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/986-00-02/ , should be able to tell if you had it originally. Look in the 510-540 range, the options are there I think.

Mine is a '97 that didn't have an alarm or keyless entry, and had a key like yours with just the light on it. I added them both very simply and cheaply following this thread: 3rd Party Keyless Entry DIY (Why Not?)
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #7
808 Boxster

Garage
Thanks everyone for all the feedback - especially oldskool73 with the link to the codes. I checked the options listed under my hood and unfortunately it doesn't list (#532 - No Alarm) or any of the alarm variations from #534 through #536. Bottomline, it didn't list an alarm or no alarm nor #531 for Anti Drive Off/Central Locking or #524 or #525 for immobilizers.

I may swing by an auto aftermarket shop to see what their thoughts are about installing remote keyless entry/alarm system - not that I really want the alarm system. It might end with a new fob that is separate from my key but I don't care about that.

Any remote keyless entry solution would help avoid replacing broken door locks from constant manual locking/unlocking - I'm in the middle of replacing the driver side lock right now.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #8
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
Check your option codes on the sticker under the hood, and match them up with something like https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/986-00-02/ , should be able to tell if you had it originally. Look in the 510-540 range, the options are there I think.

Mine is a '97 that didn't have an alarm or keyless entry, and had a key like yours with just the light on it. I added them both very simply and cheaply following this thread: 3rd Party Keyless Entry DIY (Why Not?)
Yep that keyless remote system is hard to beat for less than $20 and a couple hours work. That's if you take your time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #9
808 Boxster

Garage
What does the remote control cover?

I'm no electrician and this seems a bit too involved for me but my basic question is what would this solution control? I imagine the remote fob would lock/unlock doors but would it also open the hood and trunk?

This is remote entry only, it does not include any alarm functionality - correct? I don't want/need an alarm.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
My DIY thread posted above details keyless entry only, though combination units with alarm are available.
The unit that I purchased only had one trunk open button (I'd imagine most do since dual trunks are rare).
Remote trunk opening is also dependent on the hardware on your car (must be fitted with electronic trunk actuator, not cable release only).

Last edited by particlewave; 12-09-2015 at 06:42 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
808 Boxster

Garage
Thanks particlewave. I've been looking into the original options for my car and it's looking like it never came with any sort of remote entry or alarm. I don't believe it has anything other than the cable releases for the trunks. Since the trunks were secondary and an alarm was never wanted I'll pursue the remote entry for door locks only. I'm fine with ending up with a fob separate from my key to remotely lock/unlock the doors, that would provide a solution to limit the manual locking/unlocking of doors hopefully avoiding any future broken door locks.