Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 08:10 AM   #1

Replacement top

Are there any recommendations on replacement tops for a 2001 Boxster? I just bought one but the rear window is shot so I'm looking at either: replacing the whole top, replacing the rear plastic window, or finding a used hard top.
I'm terminally ill and the Boxster, or a red Porsche was on my bucket list. So I had to pull the trigger on this one. I'm not looking to restore, just to make it drivable for about a year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edder B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #2

You'll want the top down as much as possible anyway, so why buy a top? Since you bought a MY01, as I did, you probably don't want to spend too much more on it, so I advise a rear window replacement. Enjoy it......
Old 11-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #3

Garage
There are plenty of aftermarket tops on eBay. Just do a quick search on this site, and make sure you get the right top for your year Boxster. Best of luck to you!
Old 11-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #4

Garage
For your time-frame, a replacement top with a plastic rear window will be just fine. I upgraded mine for an after-market glass window, but it's a lot smaller than the plastic one.

There are upholstery shops that will sew in a new plastic rear window. Check and see if that is available in your area. (And compare that price verses getting a new top instead.)

Best of luck, and Happy Boxstering!

2002 Boxster Seal Gray Metallic: Desnorkled, Changed ashtray to non-smoker's bin, Removed stickers from sunvisors, Added rear speakers, LED Shifter, Porsche logo on trunk lid, New top with heated glass window, Aspheric Driver's Side Mirror Upgrade, More to come...
randy7601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #5

I replaced mine for the 2nd time a few months ago. Definately go with the glass. The only reason I replaced was for safety. I couldn't see a thing throught the hazy window. If you can do the work yourself, you can replace the whole top cheaper than getting someone to replace the window.

I went with the Sonnenland German cloth from Topsonline.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #6

Since you are time constrained I would buy the entire roof assembly from a 2003-04 and its is a quick bolt in place and plug in replacement with a glass window in a few hours at most to DIY.

Doing the replacement top is going to cost about the same and take an installer a couple days.

Doing just the window will take the longest and require removal and reinstall of the entire assembly but it may cost the least if you DIY on the removal/install.

Enjoy your Red Porsche!
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #7

Edder, getting a glass window replacement top is going to be the best for you because you won't have to get out and "chop" the plastic window in half on the new top/window if you get a plastic one. It's one more physical thing to do to drop the top and not crack the new window and you may not have a lot of extra energy for that with your condition.

Any of the replacement tops with glass windows on eBay will work well for you, so don't spend a lot of money. Most local upholstery shops can install it for you too. The whole thing should not cost more than $1200 or so.

Drive that Boxster like you stole it and be sure to wind it up and take it to red line every time you drive it. It's good for your soul.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edder B View Post
Are there any recommendations on replacement tops for a 2001 Boxster? I just bought one but the rear window is shot so I'm looking at either: replacing the whole top, replacing the rear plastic window, or finding a used hard top.
I'm terminally ill and the Boxster, or a red Porsche was on my bucket list. So I had to pull the trigger on this one. I'm not looking to restore, just to make it drivable for about a year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sorry to hear that about your health, but it's cool you bought a red Porsche being on your bucket list. I bought a new top from Convertible Top Replacements | Auto Tops Direct Car Tops with the plastic window for around $400. I installed mine which is a little bit of work but doable, or you can pay to have it installed. I was quoted around $750.00 for labor from a local shop. Take Care,
Joe
Old 11-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #9

Garage
Went with a new GAAH with glass window three years ago and couldn't be happier. My mechanic hates me but the car sure looks spiffy with it.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Went with a new GAAH with glass window three years ago and couldn't be happier. My mechanic hates me but the car sure looks spiffy with it.
That's the top an installer I called recommended, it's probably one of the best replacement tops. He quoted me around $1,800. for that top installed. He said he wouldn't install any other brand.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:26 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecal View Post
That's the top an installer I called recommended, it's probably one of the best replacement tops. He quoted me around $1,800. for that top installed. He said he wouldn't install any other brand.
I lucked out with mine, got it off eBay, from a couple who were closing their upholstery shop, new in box for $239 without cable for defroster. Got a local upholstery guy to install it for $400. Haven't needed to buy a defroster cable as the regular defroster clears the window up quickly due to the small interior space. One of the best products I've put on my car.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:53 AM   #12

Thanks for everyones replies. I think I'll go with the replacement top with the plastic window since its cheaper and longevity is not a priority for me. Some friends of mine want to help install it, I'm useless at the moment because of breathing and strength issues. So I guess my next question, is there a video on how to replace the top?
Edder B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for everyones replies. I think I'll go with the replacement top with the plastic window since its cheaper and longevity is not a priority for me. Some friends of mine want to help install it, I'm useless at the moment because of breathing and strength issues. So I guess my next question, is there a video on how to replace the top?
GAAH also makes the top with a plastic window. Try UTube for a video on replacement but fair warning it is not an easy job. Most recommend taking the entire framework off the car to do the replacement.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #14
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Not a video, but a fairly detailed DIY from the forum sponsor (just ignore the bit about 'glass window'):
Porsche Boxster Glass Window Convertible Top Installation - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
I lucked out with mine, got it off eBay, from a couple who were closing their upholstery shop, new in box for $239 without cable for defroster. Got a local upholstery guy to install it for $400. Haven't needed to buy a defroster cable as the regular defroster clears the window up quickly due to the small interior space. One of the best products I've put on my car.
That's a great deal, you lucked out. Edder B, when I bought my top the company (www.autotopsdirect.com) sent me an email with installation instructions after I called them and requested it, which really helped. If you do a search on here Mike Focke has instructions and photos on top replacement. I used Pelican's too, so I had 3 different references for installing my top. I have a few wrinkles in it that I think I can correct, it's really not too bad of a job if you take your time. Mine actually turned out better than I expected and I saved about $750.00 in labor.

Last edited by joecal; 11-17-2015 at 03:00 PM.
joecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #16

Quote:
So I guess my next question, is there a video on how to replace the top?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVn03aylJDM

Good luck
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #17
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post

Good luck
That was a good video. It led me to this one about just replacing the window:

At about 13 minutes in he is talking (painfully) about how long it took to stitch the new window in. TWENTY HOURS. Replacing the whole top sounds like the best and easiest option.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:17 AM   #18

Here's the instruction with pics made by mikefocke-- https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement

fredd5r is offline   Reply With Quote