Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #1

Carbon fibre parts!

Anyone have any nice carbon parts on their boxsters?

I recently started a little home project skinning some parts in carbon fibre for my other car (VW polo gti). Once I finished doing those parts I started on a few boxster pieces! I have some OEM pieces already but I can't justify the cost of some of the parts online!

I just love the stuff, I think it looks so cool. obviously skinning kinda ruins the purpose of carbon as it's supposed to save weight but the weight added by skinning the parts I have done could probably be negated by taking a piss before I go for a drive so to me it's just aesthetics!

all the parts in the pics below are in various states of build, some only have a couple coats of resin, some have been sanded and awaiting a final flatten before lacquer and one piece (the little alarm light cover) is pretty much complete! Can't wait to get these done and fitted to go along with my speedo cover, steering wheel and sill covers!

koosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #2

Great that you have that skill.Imagine the weight savings and balance gained by doing the muffler in CF!
Old 10-29-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

Garage
Nice work, have all the supplies to do this myself, just need to find the time. Did you trim the carbon at the edges and holes or did you roll it inside. Your holes look perfect.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #4

I thiink this is great. Good on you! Given the fragile nature of our interior parts, reskinning looks like a great idea.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Looks great man!! I wish I was able to do that, I would probably ruin all mine trying.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosh View Post
I just love the stuff, I think it looks so cool. obviously skinning kinda ruins the purpose of carbon as it's supposed to save weight but the weight added by skinning the parts I have done could probably be negated by taking a piss before I go for a drive so to me it's just aesthetics!
Loved that quote. Legitimately loled. Also, good job!
Sammy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate50 View Post
Nice work, have all the supplies to do this myself, just need to find the time. Did you trim the carbon at the edges and holes or did you roll it inside. Your holes look perfect.
It does take some time but it's quite therapeutic and enjoyable when something comes out looking good!
When I'm doing it I let the cloth hang 15mm or more over the edge then trim right back, first using a dremel cutting wheel and possibly a dremel sanding disk, then I use a heavy grade emery cloth to sand right back to flush edges! Some of the pieces look better in photos than in real life (as does everything really....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Looks great man!! I wish I was able to do that, I would probably ruin all mine trying.
Thanks! I get lots of spare pieces so if I do ruin anything I've got something to fall back on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy986 View Post
Loved that quote. Legitimately loled. Also, good job!
Hahah thanks! Quite proud of myself for that one when I wrote it
Old 10-31-2015, 03:49 AM   #8

Carbon fibre really helps in lifting the dull appearance of Boxsters with black cabins, luckily for me, my cars previous owner had way to much money and he equipped this car with A few OE pieces including the steering wheel & inner rocker/ sill covers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Santafe; 10-31-2015 at 03:53 AM.
Santafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:17 PM   #9

Wow like that a lot
Coxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:27 AM   #10

Oh my that centre console is something else! What I would give for one of those!
Old 11-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #11

here are finished pictures of the parts!! worked out that this lot is $1326 if purchased from an online store that sells a lot of carbon stuff!

still learning but I'm massively happy with how he's turned out!
Old 11-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #12

Fantastic job Koosh, they look great, well done. Maybe you could post a few photographs when you get them fitted.
Santafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #13

Group buy!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santafe View Post
Fantastic job Koosh, they look great, well done. Maybe you could post a few photographs when you get them fitted.
Thanks! With any luck I'll have them fitted in the next couple days after a polish I'll put them here and also I'll update my build thread too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Group buy!
Haha I'm not too confident to do it for other people yet! Plus it takes sooooo much time! I enjoy doing it for myself but I don't think I'd enjoy doing it on a bigger scale!
Old 11-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #15

You can also get carbon wrap in printed adhesive film. Hard to tell the difference if done right.
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #16

Okay just do the back of my GT3 seats and we'll call it even.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:24 AM   #17

Does de vacuum bag apply directly to carbon? what vacuum bag do you use? and how much vacuum pressure?
heiwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:09 AM   #18
Rennzenn

Garage
I've done a few carbon parts, too. It's not difficult, but it requires patience and lots of time sanding and polishing to get the finish right. I didn't use a vacuum bag (I think that's more for real structural components); I just did a flood coat.
Here's the link to a great tutorial (and sales pitch for product):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rTWaV1imzs

Old 11-04-2015, 04:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
You can also get carbon wrap in printed adhesive film. Hard to tell the difference if done right.
some of the vinyl is ok but in past experiance nothing compares to the real deal! also the vinyl can be real expensive aswell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Okay just do the back of my GT3 seats and we'll call it even.
hahah thats a big ol piece to do! very achievable however! you should look up the process (google carbon fibre skinning guide and theres a lexus forum and also a corvette forum which both have threads with alot of good info between them!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiwaz View Post
Does de vacuum bag apply directly to carbon? what vacuum bag do you use? and how much vacuum pressure?
i dont use the vacuum process, i just wet lay the carbon and build up various coats of resin/hardener and sand back to a smooth finish then finish off with standard car lacquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I've done a few carbon parts, too. It's not difficult, but it requires patience and lots of time sanding and polishing to get the finish right. I didn't use a vacuum bag (I think that's more for real structural components); I just did a flood coat.
some of those bits look nice! i've never seen the bottoms of the door cards being done before also do you havea gt3 console delete in carbon too?
Old 11-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #20
Rennzenn

Garage
The GT3 console delete is the same as the door cards. I found one on eBay, stripped the carpet from it and then carbon skinned it.