Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #41

I just swapped my Audi b6 with another 1.8t. I wanted to do the 2.7 swap but it seemed over my head

Willing to go to the states for a roller? Thats what I did back in 09. Dollar isnt great but their still cheap. I know of 2..

GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #42
B6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
Never heard of copart until now but I got this through impact. Paid somewhere between 4 and 5k cdn for it

Only other boxster I know of in the area is the one a family friend is parting out. Its an 03 non s that was hit in the rear. Pretty much everything but the back bumper and trunk is intact but it only has the transmission in it, no engine. He'd like to sell the front clip whole so if you find something that is smashed up in the front then it might be of use to you.
That's where I saw it! I've been lurking on Copart and Impact - both are sites that re-sell cars purchased from insurance companies.

If the right opportunity presents itself I'll probably end up buying a running car rather than a roller. As I mentioned, my plan is to swap it. So I'll buy a running car, pull the M96, and if I can't shoe-horn the other engine in, I can always replace the IMS bearing and clutch while the engine is out and do a thorough clean-up, re-install and either sell the car or keep it as a toy.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #43

I found a running one $500 more...
Old 11-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #44

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/5313193008.html

http://monroe.craigslist.org/cto/5309851515.html

Im still kicking myself for not buying the one on here with the 996 motor
Old 11-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #45
B6T

I started with an '04 3.0L V6 that had the Ultrasport package. Since I started with the V6, the only mechanical differences were the exhaust and I needed to mount the passenger side intercooler bracket. The 1.8ts require a lot more work though. I think there is a guy out your way with a dark red B6 that's getting a monster 2.7t build.

If the price is right for the rollers I don't mind travelling. I have a few buddies with trucks. If you don't mind PM'ing me details of the rollers you know about I'd really appreciate it.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #46

Did an oil change today. I cut the filter apart to inspect all the pleats for any metal debris and it looked great. I will probably end up changing the IMS at some point but its nice to know the engine is healthy in that regard for the time being. I had it running for a bit too. Started up fine and no misfires or cel's interestingly enough.

Question: How the hell do I turn the lights off? When the car is running the front projectors and back lights are on independent of where the light switch is. I've read the manual and tried pulling it in and out and turned it every direction while its pulled in and out at the lights won't go off. What gives?
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #47
still plays with cars...

Garage
That would be our Canadian legislated DRL's.
The headlight switch only turns on instrument panel lights; all exterior lights turn on like Christmas Vacation when you start the car.
You can pull the DRL relay if you want it to act like normal.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #48

Really?? That was my best guess but I've never had a car where the rear lights stay on as part of the DRL's. Is this a porsche thing?
Old 11-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #49

Same thing with my Audi. For some reason the Germans dont know how to enable DRL with factory XENON's. Its as if they wire the light switch to ACCESORY.

I was able to remove the DRL feature in my audi. Im sure it can be disabled with a PIWIS or PST2.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #50

Thanks guys. Good to know that there is nothing wrong with my car. It just seems so unnecessary to me to have the rear lights and side markers on all the time. My mini has xenons and doesn't do this. Wouldn't mind disabling the side markers and rear lights some how. The clear side markers I bought from ECS came with "stealth" chrome coated amber bulbs but it makes no difference if they are stuck on all the time!!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #51

Any updates?

As someone who recently restored a wrecked boxster I'm particularly interested in your project..
Bryanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #52

I haven't been able to do much lately because I've been waiting on the bumper. I didn't want to put the fender and all the other stuff in that area on just to take it off again when I bring the fender and bumper to a shop 45min away for paint. The bumper is likely arriving tomorrow, and assuming I can get it painted before christmas, the car should be put together by the new year. Then I have to get a structural inspection to change the title from salvage to rebuilt and safety, e-test etc. After that I have the whole winter to clean it up properly and look forward to driving it in the spring.

I managed to track down the PO. A very nice older gentlemen who said it was about a 5mph collision. He mentioned he would send me all the records he had for it as well. He said he wanted to keep it but the damage estimate got really high (19k) and the insurance gave him a really good pay out. Apparently the biggest reason for the high estimate was that there was a small piece of plastic that was broken off on the blue plug that powers the projector. I've looked at it and it in no way affects its function or keeps it from being firmly secured to the car. Nevertheless, they were going to replace the whole wiring harness which would have costed 6k. A new headlight up here is about 3k, and then add dealer prices for the rad/condensor assembly and all its associated parts and a bumper and fender. Add to that paint and labour and it all makes sense now.

Oh, and the PO said he replaced it with a newer 650 convertible but that he still much prefers the way the boxster drives
Old 12-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #53
IronDeadPool

Hey Boxxster check your messages sent you a PM

Project IronDeadPool
986ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #54

Alright so I just have one or two more questions about how things go back together. Firstly, where does this black tube go? It routes behind the rad and under the center of the front bumper. Looks like some sort of drain? I've noticed there are some drains around the battery but I looked around that area and couldn't see a fitting for this hose. Perhaps I am missing something?

Secondly, what is the correct routing for this drain hose that drains the area around the gas cap? Does it connect to something or does it just hang there? If it does connect to something, I haven't been able to find out where.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #55

Picked up the fender and bumper from the the body shop wednesday and managed to get at least the fender on. Took a bit of playing to get everything lined up but I think I got it 95% where I want it. Also got the headlight roughly installed. I know I'll need to slide it out again to install the washer but I just wanted to get the bracket where its supposed to be as thats the most important part. What a ridiculous system though. You can't really tighten the nuts with the headlight in it so it was a ton of sliding it in, looking how it fit, then removing it and readjusting the bracket. Also had to add washers under two of the nuts to get the height right. Took over 2 hours but I think it came out pretty well.

All thats left is to install now is the headlight washer, wheel liner, and bumper!
Old 12-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #56

Old 12-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #57
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Well done sir. The paint looks like it matches great. I am also covetous of your 6" high density foam knee pad.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #58

What a great thread. Thanks for posting the story and photos. Getting a hold of the PO was a huge plus. Now, drive and enjoy it.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #59

Thanks guys. Prior to this I had never fixed up a damaged car or even touched a porsche so this was quite a learning experience for me and it's immensely satisfying to see it all come together. I'm going to try to get in insured for a day or two this coming week so I can get the structural inspection done before the winter weather hits up here. Then it's going to be a loooong 3-4 months before I can bring it out in the spring.

Rex, the lady I bought the bumper from put like 10 of those foam blocks in the box with it. They definitely came in handy.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #60

Its looking great, congrats! And you got it done quick

Bryanf is offline   Reply With Quote