Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 06:24 AM   #1

Thinking of changing exterior color: need opinion

Hi all
I have a 1999 new to me base Boxster. Artic silver with sea blue interior. The car was repainted 3 years ago and the paint is spotless/ perfect. He paid a very high price to repair, prep and repaint it. Not rust anywhere.

The issue is that I was never a fan of Grey or Silver cars. Even Artic silver.

With a sea blue interior which I don't want to change, what external color would work? The top is of course blue so the exterior color must look good with the top on and off.

Any suggestions? I liked dark colours, I am thinking a dark blue, like Porsche's Midnight blue or the Iris blue? Anyone has the same color combo? Any other suggestion?

Thanks!

CDNIcecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The OEM dark blue option in '99 was Ocean Blue Metallic. However, I would return/keep it to whatever the original color option was, repainting in a new color really hurts resale value.

Last edited by rick3000; 11-01-2015 at 08:29 AM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #3

I would not change the color especially if it's that nice of a paint job. You're better off leaving it the original color for resale purposes too. They would have to paint the door jambs, trunk lids, etc., it's not worth it. I would sell the car and buy one the color you like. I have a 99 that's Ocean Blue Metallic/savanna beige if you want to trade, just kidding. I'm kind of tired of silver too but I think it looks good on Porsches. Years ago I changed the color on a car and they did a nice job, but afterwards I regretted it even though it looked nice it wasn't an original color. It's your car but I wouldn't do it myself.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #4

Sell it and get the color you want. Unless you just dropped in a ton of new parts, why not?

I think only white and silver look good with Metropol Blue interiors and tops. Dark blue exterior with Metropol Blue interior /top won't look as good as black on black, more like double denim.
bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #5

Getting a quality repaint is probably going to cost you about half of what the car is worth. Either stick with what you got or buy another Boxster in the color you like. That's my opinion for what it's worth.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice. I will most likely keep it Artic Silver. I am not too worried about resale as I plan to keep it, however.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #7

Keep it Arctic silver. It's the best Boxster color there is anyway !

P.S. Isn't it "Arctic", not "Artic?"

Last edited by Joe B; 11-01-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #8

Garage
How about a wrap in blue? You wouldn't be hurting the original color, thus resale value, and you would even be protecting the paint.

I'm going "Charcoal Gray Metallic" for the next season with a vinyl wrap of my black Boxster.
PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #9

This color for the body

Paint the wheels this color (chrome shadow), first coat is black, a light coat of silver goes on top. You can test this layering out with plasti dip if you don't want to commit right away.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-01-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:25 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDash View Post
How about a wrap in blue? You wouldn't be hurting the original color, thus resale value, and you would even be protecting the paint.

I'm going "Charcoal Gray Metallic" for the next season with a vinyl wrap of my black Boxster.
Great advice! You can get the color you want and protect the new paint at the same time, a win win
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #11

I think wrapping the car is a great idea if you can find someone to do a good job and who uses quality wrap. I've seen some crappy automotive wrap jobs on the road lately and it's scared me off from giving it a try.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #12

Lost resale value?

Not having the original paint is important to someone buying a low-mileage 911 garage queen. Those who are buying a 16-year-old daily driver under $8,000 aren't so picky. A young guy - or poor girl - getting their first fun car might worry about what damage is under a paint job but don't care what colour is hidden if the appearance is good.

Rapid motion through space elates one; so does notoriety; so does the possession of money.
pierre shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #13

Good point Pierre.