Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #21

I just ordered all of the stuff to properly put my car to sleep for the winter. I could probably drive it most of the winter in Seattle, but not the best option on UHP summer tires. Plus, why add that much more wear and tear to the paint and top when I have a perfectly entertaining daily driver for the rainy season...

Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
You know folks, if this was actually true, there would be rust buckets all over the place. Yet, in reality - you see very few rusted out cars anymore.
My 2007 VW Rabbit winter car with the 12 year rust warranty so far has had the rear hatch, two front fenders, and hood replaced due to rust and rear quarter panel fixed and roof fixed for the same.
Yes, it's true cars are getting better at staying rust free but also how many old cars do you see on the road. I'm betting the majority of cars we see on the road are either under five years old or haven't seen a whole lot of winter driving in the rust belt. Rust proofing does work for the body but doesn't do anything for the rest of the car.

Winter driving also means that the undercarriage and lower body panels are often in direct contact with ice blocks and frozen slosh from wheel wells that dent up fenders and rocker panels. Getting over/through snow banks at intersections and driveways does in bumper covers and underbody trays. All hardware under the care rusts to ****************. Exhaust takes a hit from all this as well.
Ice buildup in door jams, window weatherstripping, freezing rain, door locks, frozen gass lines, batteries struggling with -30 to -40C. It's all great for cars

Why do I live here again:chicken:
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #23
I am my own mechanic....

Here, a brine solution is applied before snow. Then salting is kept to a minimum. Chains or snow tires only required in the canyons.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #24

Interesting, I'm not sure if they use salt here in Colorado or not. I know they use that goopy de-icer stuff.

Do you guys think there are any benefits to the engines/ transmissions/ etc being driven periodically rather than sitting for months at a time.
Bryanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #25
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanf View Post
Interesting, I'm not sure if they use salt here in Colorado or not. I know they use that goopy de-icer stuff.

Do you guys think there are any benefits to the engines/ transmissions/ etc being driven periodically rather than sitting for months at a time.
I know I won't be finding out! All winter, baby! (Unless it's under the wrench)
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:43 PM   #26
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
My 2007 VW Rabbit winter car with the 12 year rust warranty so far has had the rear hatch, two front fenders, and hood replaced due to rust and rear quarter panel fixed and roof fixed for the same.
Yes, it's true cars are getting better at staying rust free but also how many old cars do you see on the road. I'm betting the majority of cars we see on the road are either under five years old or haven't seen a whole lot of winter driving in the rust belt. Rust proofing does work for the body but doesn't do anything for the rest of the car.

Winter driving also means that the undercarriage and lower body panels are often in direct contact with ice blocks and frozen slosh from wheel wells that dent up fenders and rocker panels. Getting over/through snow banks at intersections and driveways does in bumper covers and underbody trays. All hardware under the care rusts to ****************. Exhaust takes a hit from all this as well.
Ice buildup in door jams, window weatherstripping, freezing rain, door locks, frozen gass lines, batteries struggling with -30 to -40C. It's all great for cars

Why do I live here again:chicken:
I agree totally. You will see plenty of rusted out older cars around here. Plus the amount of snow we get here is nuts. Over 120 inches a year. Hell it didn't get above freezing here for the whole month of February, so none of it melted. There were towns near me that still had piles in parking lots until June lol. Down south they get 3 inches of snow and shut the whole city down for a few days. Here we get two feet in a day and nothing closes. I'll just drive the Jeep all winter and keep my baby safe in the garage.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanf View Post
No, no benefits at all. Just keep the battery charged and change the oil before storage.

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote