Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #1

Water Pump PM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a general guideline for when one might proactively replace the water pump. I've searched and not found anything, other than descriptions by members who have done this while replacing the engine mount. Basically, I'm at the point where I've done most of the PM that is normally recommended. I have a 2000 986S with 50K on the odometer. If there isn't a general consensus on this, what are my options for testing the pump? It seems like it would be difficult to assess the quality of the bearing while installed, due to the resistance of the coolant.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #2

You could remove the belt and check for play across the axis.
luckyed7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:18 AM   #3

Garage
+1 remove belt feel for play in pulley shaft, checking for signs of leakage and cooling behavior

Before long trips I remove belt, check all pulleys for play and free spin and leaks

Most treat PM differently. There is no rule of thumb to replacing what appears to be perfectly working parts.
Typically one replaces the parts that coincide with other related work.
Slippery slope: Doing WP, might as well do Thermo, coolant, coolant tank, hoses, clamps, Idler pulleys, and.... the list goes on

I'm at 84k miles and It's time to refresh the coolant so that would be my time to PM the WP and thermostat. This could also be coolant tank PM time
Old 10-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #4

Same boat

I have a 01S with just over 70K and plan to do this proactively soon. The general consensus is do not cheep out on a water pump.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:18 AM   #5

I have a 2000 with 65,000 miles and plan to do do my water pump, coolant, thermostat and motor mount in the spring.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace River View Post
I have a 2000 with 65,000 miles and plan to do do my water pump, coolant, thermostat and motor mount in the spring.
Sounds like a safe call, Ian.
I PM'ed mine at 92,000km last spring, along with fresh coolant and a lo temp t-stat. A very easy DIY.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the input. I did the engine mount a couple months ago, as it was shot, but left the water pump. I guess my question was also about the "slippery slope" that kk mentions, but that seems like something we all face with our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #8

Yes it is

Like it prints out a register tape of things you must do....but we own 15 year old german sports cars
Old 10-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #9

My .02.

I see lots of threads about PM replacement and early failures.

I replaced my WP at 124K miles as I had a coolant leak. While doing the job, I discovered one bolt that was weeping. I went ahead an replace the WP but mine had no wobble or noise and the veins were all intact.

If you're driving your car locally and have alternate transportation as an option, drive your car. I totally agree with pulling the belt and checking pullies for play but that's about it. If yoiu have a road trip planned, go ahead and to the swap.

Whatever happens, If you hear noise or have a leak, don't drive the car until you evaluate the state of the pump. It will eat the impeller if the bearing is bad enough!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #10

I bought my 97 Boxster last December with only 40K miles on it. I too was concerned especially with the car coming up on 18 years old. I pulled the motor and did the EPS IMS repair and then changed anything and everything that I thought might be a potential breakdown problem. One of the things I changed was the water pump. Even though it only had 40K on it there was play in the water pump. Also you might want to think about changing all of those rubber hoses as they are 15 years old too.

Last edited by BobRickel; 10-10-2015 at 11:23 AM.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #11

mine started failing at 92k miles. replaced it when it was wobbly but had not started leaking yet.

i think i remember reading a while back (maybe it was jake who said it) that the WP should be considered general maintenance and replaced every 60k miles regardless of condition.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #12

Garage
I've heard every 60k. Mine was done last about there. Will look to do it again at 120k
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #13

Water pump Bolts

Where do you get new ones ?

Seem like I read a lot about rounded and broken ones during water pump replacement