Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #21
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I hate to break it to you, but these are $5-10k cars and the bulbs that bigger vendors like Suncoast sells are the exact same bulbs on eBay from Asia.

It doesn't matter what emblem is on the hood.
It's true. Suncoast isn't manufacturing these...they're all made in China. I just don't want the festoon type throw in bulb cause I read they burn out fast and can brown the clear lense, and I'm not an electrical engineer, so I have no idea of how to make them better by throwing in a better resistor.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #22
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I've had some actually start smoking within 5 seconds due to crap resistors, so yeah...if Suncoast will replace them and any damage they cause, that's probably the best route for most.

Unfortunately, I can't post a link to good quality, low cost bulbs because you can't guarantee that you'll get the same thing from the same seller from one day to the next. I always check them all.
If you decide to go the eBay route, the best thing to do would be to power them up on the workbench and monitor them for 5-10 minutes to make sure they don't let the precious smoke out.

Last edited by particlewave; 12-13-2015 at 03:08 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #23
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Particlewave...

.....I didn't mean to get in an argument, my point was that there is more to buying a part than just the part itself. Service after the sale, support for the community of enthusiasts you are apart of, keeping a valued resource in business, and supporting an American business with fellow citizens who are employees, are all reasons why I like to support a company like Suncoast or Pelican and am willing to pay a small premium above some faceless, anonymous, Chinese eBay page.

Are the exact same bulbs on eBay for half price? Sure. But in the long run, I believe supporting those I have described above is the right thing to do, and actually is to my selfish benefit, because it will keep these wonderful parts outlets in business for my future needs.

Again, with the sale they had, it didn't end up costing that much more and I knew I was getting the right part.

Thanks for your time.

I'm done.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #24
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No argument, pal!

I just don't get the "Porsche" thing since the Mazda cost me 3x as much.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #25
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

oh...

.....that.

My point there was just that I don't understand folks who will spend big bucks for a complicated piece of machinery, and then go cheap on maintenance items.

For example, folks who buy a Corvette or Mustang or Viper and then complain that the rear tires go bald in 15,000 miles and cost $300.

And then buy a Wal-Mart no name tire instead of the Michelins they need to save a few bucks.

That type of thing.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I hate to break it to you, but these are $5-10k cars and the bulbs that bigger vendors like Suncoast sells are the exact same bulbs on eBay from Asia.

It doesn't matter what emblem is on the hood.
Agree 100%. These are great cars but not worth crap in the market right now.
Gotta also has 10/10th if he uses Porsche tires .

VW/Porsche are not in the light bulb (or tire) business. LED bulbs (interior and side markers) are mods that I talked myself into after seeing what they looked like on my boys cars.

I too have purchased ebay/Amazon bulbs for our various cars and have been very satisfied with them on all of the cars.

On the Boxster, replacing the interior and trunk lights with LED made it so I could actually see things in the car.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #27

10/10ths,

That is quite fascinating, I've owned two Corvettes & a Mustang and never complained about my tires wearing out prematurely.

None of the members of my local Corvette club complained about tires wearing out early. The C5, C6 & C7 owners complain about the loud and rough riding run-flats.

I also don't know any Corvette owners that buy their tires from Walmart.

I do distinctly remember reading about an Acura NSX owner that was going to file a law suit against Acura because his rear tires did not last more than 10,000 miles.

I write this because I don't appreciate people throwing out stereotypes. Are you the least bit aware of what people think and say about Porsche owners? What some say is not very nice (I would categorize it as rude at best).

While what you wrote may be factually correct for those who do not buy brand new Corvettes or Mustangs, it probably also applies to some who purchase second hand Boxsters.

Lets all agree to not perpetuate bad stereotypes, especially those of Porsche owners.

MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #28

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I never understood why people pay a premium when the company is just buying the same crap from china ..... I always use eBay for bulbs and such.

but thats ok I bet you still take the car to the dealership for every oil change too

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote