Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2015, 03:55 AM   #1

Garage
The Tesla Model X Game - $144k

So instead of reading all of the Tesla M-X articles this morning, I decided to take 10 minutes and peruse Ebay Motors to see how I'd rather spend $144,000.

What would you buy with $144k? Let's say three cars max, one of which needs to have room for 5.

2012 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS $83,500
Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS Coupe 2 Door | eBay

2011 Mercedes GL450 $36,000
Mercedes Benz GL Class GL450 | eBay

2015 Nissan Leaf $16,000
Nissan Leaf SV Quick Charge Navi Camera MSRP $35 180 | eBay

Total: $135,500

Not exactly greenhouse gas friendly, but I did read somewhere that buying a used car is better for the environment. And I'll throw in $2500 in carbon offsets just to make sure. That leaves me with $6,000 left over for any likely maintenance. If I need any more than that, I'll sell the Leaf!!!

What would you guys do with a theoretical $144,000?

tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #2

Garage
If the model X wasn't so ****************in ugly, I would spend all 144 on it and have all three of those alternates in one nice looking and functional car.

I'm thinking macan aesthetics meet model X tech and drivetrain...now that is something I would save for.
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #3

Yes but none of those cars have gull wing doors. You'll get upstaged every time once the other guy shows up with doors like that!

Also, the cost of technology goes down over time. We all know this. I paid $435 for the first Amazon Kindle ever. Everyone thought I was retarded. But getting the Journal wirelssly sent to me every morning (3 years before the iPad) or listen to it while I worked (text-to-speech) simply reminded me that if you want the latest greatest you've got to pay the man who provides it. Ditto for my $100 MP3 player back in 1999 that held a staggering 12 songs. Now both of these things can be purchased for peanuts on Ebay. Electric cars and supercharges that give you enough juice to drive 50 miles in six minutes of charge time is the future. You can't stop that tide and people with means are going to want it. Musk is firmly in the driver's seat as the man with the first mover's advantage.

Must knows what he's doing. The educated wealthy have a high tech car now. Slowly over time we'll look back and see how crazy it was to throw money away on petrol just to drive our cars. It's like tossing out Energizer batteries every day just to use our cell phones. Can you imagine how many Energizer batteries would be in those landfills with the ubiquity of smartphones today? We should have been on electric cars decades ago, perhaps that would have spurred innovation necessary to find new ways of making electricity.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-30-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #4

Check out the windshield.... your own private space ship

I didn't realize you have three rows of seating for 7

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-30-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #5

Garage
The Tesla Model X Game - $144k

I considered a 911 turbo, a GT3, or Macan. Tried to find an Alfa 8c, couldn't find an acura tsx sport wagon in the right shade of red and eventually I settled on this.

1979 Aston Martin lagonda 10,350 GBP or 15,651 USD.

SUPERCARS.NET - Image Gallery for 1978 Aston Martin Lagonda Series II

1961 Meredes Benz 190SL 109,900 USD

1961 Mercedes-Benz 190, Sarasota FL US - JamesEdition

Lastly to round it off

1985 Alfa Romeo Spider Sprint Veloce 16,900 USD

1985 Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce | GR Auto Gallery

Totaling $142,251

The left over money goes towards shipping the Aston Martin.

You can have your latest and greatest, ill take my appreciating classics.

Last edited by BIGJake111; 09-30-2015 at 09:04 AM.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #6

Garage
Considering that I'd only be opening the drivers door, I wouldn't be putting on a show for anyone. Until you opened the side doors, most people would think it was another minivan, or a BMW X6.

I'll stick with the 997 GTS.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #7

might be tough to haul your three kids around in that old MB or 997

If I've got some wallet, a wife, at least three kids and have to choose between a Range Rover, Cayenne Turbo or this, I'm getting on that Tesla list.
Speaking of depreciation Jake, the RR and CT will probably be worth $10k in 8 years.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-30-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #8

the falcon doors have nothing on this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAtkoje4-eM
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #9

Huh. I'm also a little surprised that Jake didn't pick any Finnish (nay German) cars.

I don't have three kids, but I agree with PL and would take a Tesla any day of the week, for me, wife, and two kids. Not at that price point though. Having said that, I'm curious about the upcoming model 3 or whatever it will be called - the proposed Tesla sedan projected to start at around $35,000. Also, I'm sure this article will result in a lot of tighty-whitey bunching, but I got a kick out of it. 'Till then, I'll stick with my small-engined X3.:

Test drive of a petrol car - Tesla Club Sweden

Maybe Jake will appreciate it. I mean the author is Scandinavian, right? That's close to being Finnish... isn't it?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
might be tough to haul your three kids around in that old MB or 997
P-Lap, you may have confused my GL450 with Jakes SL.

GL450 = Three rows, 7 passengers, 94 cubic feet of cargo space (the Tesla has 66, but not sure if that includes the frunk). And the GL would not need to stop two or three times for an extended charge on the way to Maine, Carolina, etc.

The jury is still out on whether the kids would want to be dropped off at school in the 911 or a minivan with cool spaceship doors. I'm a big fan of the Model S, just not the new X.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
Huh. I'm also a little surprised that Jake didn't pick any Finnish (nay German) cars.

Damn these American BMWs and those Mexican silverados. Stupid 2016 Ford GT National car of Canada. Shouldn't buy a Tarus, Asians have bad airbags.

Sent from my Chinese iPhone

It's a global market, get over it. You can make a lame joke once in one thread and it's fine, but no reason to carry it over to here.

Go make a poll thread and see how many forum members or members of the general public think the boxster is a "Finnish car."
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Damn these American BMWs and those Mexican silverados. Stupid 2016 Ford GT National car of Canada. Shouldn't buy a Tarus, Asians have bad airbags.

Sent from my Chinese iPhone

It's a global market, get over it. You can make a lame joke once in one thread and it's fine, but no reason to carry it over to here.

Go make a poll thread and see how many forum members or members of the general public think the boxster is a "Finnish car."

Settle down, Beavis. Were I as interested in "details" maybe I would make a poll thread. I'm not concerned with "details". Maybe one of the "detail" concerned forum members will make a poll. Because, you know "details".

... and I'm guessing from your "internet tone", you have a U. So be it. I guess it's all in the details.

And so you know that there are no hard feelings... here is a song for you and your German car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fx4lTDp0w4

I hear it's what all the kids in Germany like. Also, nicely translated into sign. Cuz, in the end, it's the details (however small) that matter. Enjoy.

Last edited by cfos; 09-30-2015 at 10:43 AM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonomics View Post
P-Lap, you may have confused my GL450 with Jakes SL.

GL450 = Three rows, 7 passengers, 94 cubic feet of cargo space (the Tesla has 66, but not sure if that includes the frunk). And the GL would not need to stop two or three times for an extended charge on the way to Maine, Carolina, etc.

The jury is still out on whether the kids would want to be dropped off at school in the 911 or a minivan with cool spaceship doors. I'm a big fan of the Model S, just not the new X.
No I saw that GL450... the idea of buying an out-of-warranty MB or BMW makes me run for the exits. Seriously, "high end" German luxury cars are not what they once were. These cars, if daily driven, are made to last the warranty and not much more. It wholly contradicts the business strategy of mass production at these levels to continue building German cars the way they once were. It used to be a big deal to drive a BMW or Merc but now the big big deal is owning an in-warranty BMW or Merc (until you look at the depreciation then your neighbors aren't so jealous anymore).

By the way, this model X is $150k but these are the ultra high performance models that rival any SUV today at the high end of performance. Which is a pretty smart move by Tesla, sell the most expensive ones first to the people who always have to be the first on the block with the new thing.
Sure the range is "only" 250. But how many times are you going to drive to Maine or NC? A Tesla Supercharger can get you 50 miles of driving after a mere six minutes of charging (takes longer to make toast). With all the money Tesla is making and spending, I'm sure they'll be putting down their Superchargers strategically along the most popular inter-state family vacation routes. When not on vacation the average well-heeled family will not need to charge their Model X every night since they're probably only driving 30 miles a day at most...that leaves 220 miles of juice to spare.

Now fast forwad 8-10 years and those mass produced six figure Cayenne Turbos and Range Rovers aren't worth 20% their original sticker prices because of the cost of rebuilding gas engines. OTOH that single gear Model X will have by then a cheap battery replacement because at the end of the day there's nothing exotic about electric 'motors' or batteries themselves. Their costs will fall dramatically with time and mass production like all things electronic. Meanwhile that engine rebuild for the 964 or Mercedes will still be expensive as hell, if not more expensive as specialized labor for these becomes rare. No matter how you slice it the economics are firmly on Tesla's side if you take the long view.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-30-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
the falcon doors have nothing on this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAtkoje4-eM
that is very cool
Too bad you have to drve a Lincoln

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"