Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
Racer Boy

New Member From Seattle

I just bought a 2002 base model Boxster with 144,000 miles from my boss. Crazy, right? He is actually a buddy of mine, besides being a co-worker. I traded a Yamaha FZ1 and two older dirt bikes, plus some cash for the Boxster. He had traded some collector firearms for the car, and wanted to flip it pretty quickly.

Although the car has high miles, it does appear to be in pretty good shape. No, the IMS has not been upgraded, and I'm not going to worry about it at this point. Everything seems to work properly, except the tuner part of the stereo can't find a station, so I'll take a look at the antenna connection. The suspension has some very bad clunks, so I'm guessing I have some trailing arm and possibly drop link replacements in my future.

So far I've only had one real opportunity to drive the car really quickly, and although it does handle well, it feels a bit floaty, so I'm guessing the struts will need replacement as well.

I used to race in amateur sports car racing, winning several class championships at the regional level, but haven't raced in around six years. One of the reasons I got the Boxster was to do track days for my mental health, as the only driving I do now is just daily commuting, etc. Driving is nothing but a chore now, and I really miss being able to push a car and have some fun.

I used to race a Spec Miata, and my original plan was to get another Miata (which are really terrific cars; very fun to drive, and unlike the Boxster, pretty bullet-proof). I was going to swap the stock engine for a Honda V6 to get more straight-line performance, but by the time I got done with that project, I was going to have more money (not to mention time) into it than getting this Boxster. The Boxster would be just about as quick, but be a lot more comfortable as a street driver, so I made the trade with my buddy. Besides, I'd never owned a Porsche before!

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum, and I look forward to being part of the community here, and mining the forum for relevant technical information. My place of residence is Seattle, WA, I'm fortunate to be married to a fantastic Norwegian woman, and also ride motorcycles on the street (I now only have one bike left after trading the other three off, a Kawasaki Concours 1400).

Last edited by Racer Boy; 09-20-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum! You won't be disappointed with the boxster and wealth of information of this forum, not many un-answered questions about our cars here. Happy boxstering!
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Welcome, add a pic of the car to your user info when you get a chance.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Is your top up right now? Is it raining right now or just a chance?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #5

Welcome! Any pics of the car? My car currently has 145,000 miles as well. Beside replacing a few well known wear and tear parts for these car, it's been pretty solid. I'm sure you're car is the same way.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #6
Racer Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Is your top up right now? Is it raining right now or just a chance?
As a matter of fact, it is raining here at this time, but it was sunny and warm during the day. Oops, I meant to say it rains here all the time!

Seattle is actually a great place for a roadster, because when it is nice and sunny, we really appreciate it a lot!

I'm out of town for a few days on business, when I get back home I'll post a picture. But it is a stock Artic Silver Boxster, I'm sure we all know what those look like, don't we?
Old 09-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #7

Welcome to the forums! I'm in Portland and I agree about a roadster in the NW. When it's nice, I can't wait to get the top down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
CEL P0306

Garage
Just a note to say "welcome" and "hi." I'm in Seattle too. I've had a 98 for almost 2 years now. Nothing but fun. I've tackled a few projects here and there with the help of this forum. Also, look up Gerber Motorsport if you need help. They have been great to work with.
aczyzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #9

Welcome, maybe I'll see you at RTC Exotics this weekend in Redmond.

Exotics At Redmond Town Center | The Largest Weekly Exotic Car Gathering North of Los Angeles
token 00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #10
Racer Boy

As promised, here are shots of my Artic Silver 2002 base model. It's a nice ten foot car, as in it looks good from ten feet away!

Old 09-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #11

Welcome! Nice looking car.

I just did a partial suspension refresh on my '02 S, which included two new track rod ends, one rear lower control arm, new Bilsteins and all accompanying strut hardware. It made a BIG difference. Definitely stiff enough for me given a majority of what I will do is street driving; however if you plan on seriously tracking your car I'd consider PSS10's (and a deeper, baffled oil sump).

I'm in Seattle proper. Wave if you see me (I'm driving it on the non-rainy days this week...)

Nmbrsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #12
Racer Boy

Gorgeous car, Nmbrsix! I really like those wheels. What part of town are you in? I'm north of Ballard, just south of Carkeek Park.

I just ordered nearly a thousand dollars worth of suspension parts from Pelican, and that doesn't include struts. It's going to take some time for me to get used to the insane parts prices for these cars. I'll get the struts later, after my sticker shock has worn off. It probably doesn't need every part replaced, but it makes sense to replace it all while it's apart.