Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
So pissed off....

My new to me Arctic Silver 99 needed a new front bumper cover:

I bought a new cover (03-04 style) and brought it to what I thought was the best collision repair/body shop in town. I have painted a few cars before. An uninstalled bumper is a pretty simple job, but I care about this car and wanted to get it perfect regardless of the extra $$$. The estimate included sanding and prep of the brand new, primed bumper.
When I picked it up, I found this (the whole rough area is about a foot in diameter):

Hell, I could take my whole car to Maaco and get it painted for less than I spent there if I wanted that crap. When I paint, if I get a spot like that, it all gets sanded back down and done right.

I'm normally very mild and cool tempered. I brought the bumper into the small office and pushed it across the counter to the receptionist and said, "This needs to be fixed." With other customers waiting in the office, they quickly agreed.

Last edited by 78F350; 09-16-2015 at 09:46 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

Sloppy Sloppy Sloppy!

I had bodywork done on my boxster and had to take it back for more sanding and polishing of the clear coat. It was cloudy and wasn't anywhere close to as mirror-like as the factory paint.

I was filling up with gas the other day and walking around the car and you know what? It's still in need of buffing. I shall do it myself this time and get it right.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #3

I've sent cars back many times. Especially when I had a black car. That color does not forgive any sloppiness. With my silver car, I placed little strips of blue painters tape next to every error I found and sent it back.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
Beginner

Garage
I've done quite enough body and paint work to know I completely suck as an amateur, so I'll pay for a professional. I do better work than this. I'd want my money back plus some.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

You had every right to be upset - that's horrible.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Boxster? Check.
Early model? Check.
Base model? Check.

Let the new guy cut his teeth on that one!! Gotta learn on someone's car....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:00 AM   #7

Garage
I replaced my 99 rear bumper with a newer 03-04 that needed painting. Took it to a well known body shop and I new the guy that runs it. You would have thought I was asking for a kidney. It was obvious he didn't want to do it. Drove down the road to a hole in the wall place. They did a fantastic job. So you never know and paying more doesn't always mean better work.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #8

Garage
Thanks for the comments. Bottom line: it's going to be done right and I'm not going to have to kill anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Boxster? Check.
Early model? Check.
Base model? Check.

Let the new guy cut his teeth on that one!! Gotta learn on someone's car....
Good point Tim.
I fixed it so that next time it will get more respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz
I replaced my 99 rear bumper with a newer 03-04 that needed painting. Took it to a well known body shop and I new the guy that runs it. You would have thought I was asking for a kidney. It was obvious he didn't want to do it. Drove down the road to a hole in the wall place. ...
I had met the owner of this place a while back, while getting an estimate on an old Honda. I had done a lot of prep and thought it was about ready to spray. He looked it over with me, pointing out flaws and explained that if his guys did it, they would have to strip it all off and start from scratch. He would not do it any other way, because his shop's reputation was on the line. The estimate was well beyond the practical into the 'labor of love' range. I still expect that the owner would be horrified if I had shown him the bumper. He was not around.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:33 AM   #9

Interesting. I can't believe that was allowed out the door in the first place!

There is a place in Guthrie and one in NW OKC/Edmond that I've been really impressed with. They've both done better-than-factory work, specialize in high-end cars, and have a lifetime warranty.

Curious to hear about the outcome of the re-do (and the explanation).
Old 09-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #10

Garage
Epilogue:

I Got my bumper back on Monday and it looked good. They had called me in on Friday to talk with the painter and get a final approval on the color and condition before finishing it up. I'm happy with it, but will probably try another shop next time. I didn't ask for any sort of refund or discount, nor was it offered.

I don't have the correct grill inserts for an 03-04 bumper and for now have put a mesh screen over it:

I still have to do some small tweaks here and there for fitment, but the paint is good. These headlights are a spare set, and I'm still deciding if I want to use the clear ones I have (still need a final polish and clear-coat spray) or go with the Bi-Xenon ones I have in the Black 99. My one regret is that I didn't think to fill the license plate holes before it was painted.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #11

Rattle can them and clear coat.

No one will be the wiser.

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Bumper Plug Set

Like Tim says below - my automotive paint supplier makes me up an automotive quality rattle can of Arctic Silver for $20.

Last edited by RedTele58; 09-22-2015 at 06:33 PM.
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
I am my own mechanic....

Color looks great. When you find inserts for the bumper, have some spray paint matched for your color code. I had some made and painted my own intake side grills and middle radiator intake grill and bumperettes.

I found a great clear coat as well.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote