986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How Hard Do You Drive Your Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/58601-how-hard-do-you-drive-your-boxster.html)

thstone 09-02-2015 08:59 PM

How Hard Do You Drive Your Boxster?

How hard would you say that you drive your Boxster?

Ok, I know that this is subjective. But I ask because my wife is amazingly easy on her cars. It is common for her to get 70K miles from a set of brakes and 120K+ miles from a clutch, whereas I am replacing tires every 7500 miles.:)

tommy583 09-02-2015 09:07 PM

I take it up to redline every gear change. :eek: But really I do try to take it to redline at least once a day. I work nights and I have a wide open on ramp to the hi-way that I can give it a little workout. Of course I can only run it up to 3rd gear before I have to let off. I don't want to be speeding or anything like that :cool:

Fintro11 09-02-2015 09:43 PM

i zip around town pretty quick and highways like the autobahn

nieuwhzn 09-02-2015 09:54 PM

These engines like a workout. Like Tommy I try to get it to the redline at least once when I drive it. To work in the morning I can usually get it to 110 mph before the fear of the local law enforcement slows me down. Try to take at least one corner fast enough that the rear starts sliding a bit.

SJEFFB986 09-03-2015 03:18 AM

I vary from "Beatin the Snot outta it #$@$%!@#!!" to "driving it like a little old lady":o..good for it that that way...ha ha..

steved0x 09-03-2015 04:06 AM

I like to take mine to the track and I spend plenty of time at WOT but I always shift at 6,000 to 6,2000 (2000 S) and I come in if it feels like the car is getting too hot. I have an oil temp gauge going in soon to help me with that (haven't determined what is too high yet though, or a threshold).

The brakes get plenty of use but hopefully not abuse. I am working on that too.

On my 96 Tacoma I just replaced the clutch for the first time at 201,000 and I am still on the OEM.original brakes ;)

rexcramer 09-03-2015 04:36 AM

When I feel like driving slow, I drive my truck.

leftfield6 09-03-2015 05:28 AM

I voted "Moderately" because that's about what you can do in a metro area. Not much wide open spaces, if you will.

But, if I really feel the need for a little mind cleansing speed, I head out of town (away from congestion) on my bike. 1100 CCs of raw speed.

RedTele58 09-03-2015 06:03 AM

Flat out.

That's how I drive.

Flat out.

:D

BIGJake111 09-03-2015 06:26 AM

I'm usually between 3 and 5k. My ears beg me to take it to 6.5 usually on second to third pulls.

I drive fairly tame, but love feeling the power pull me through long sweepers. Entering at around 50 and exiting at about 85 is one of the world's best feelings as the grip gets closer and closer to the edge.

CoBeerToad 09-03-2015 06:50 AM

I had to go with Moderately. When it's all fixed up it would be Sporty, but I can hardly remember the time when I had everything running well on that car. I'm in Suspension-fun land now.

Wallace River 09-03-2015 06:54 AM

I live in the country but with twisty windy roads. After taking a sharp turn it's 2nd gear to 100 kph, which makes it up to about 6000 rpm. Feels good! I never get out of 3rd gear until I'm on a main divided highway.

hancock1701 09-03-2015 07:13 AM

I've been pretty easy with the car, but I feel that the car likes it when it's around 4000 RPM and above. Much more power and much smoother. I try to floor it at all the ramps, but there're always people around and I need to slow down right after the ramp, which sucks. So yeah, I've moving from easy to moderate.

JayG 09-03-2015 07:37 AM

Depends on where I am driving
Around town, moderate
Back roads, very spirited
Track and AX, easy to answer. BALLS TO THE WALL

It's a Porsche you gotta DRIVE it often and hard

ianacole 09-03-2015 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTele58 (Post 464485)
Flat out.

That's how I drive.

Flat out.

:D

LOL

I track mine, and it is [way too slowly for my liking] being turned into a SpecBoxster race car, so I picked "racy".

j.fro 09-03-2015 08:58 AM

racy. check out the straight about halfway through the vid:
https://youtu.be/Loh1FPDcQ1k

BYprodriver 09-03-2015 09:53 AM

Fully use it, never abuse it!

RandallNeighbour 09-03-2015 10:27 AM

In a vain attempt to blow the motor from very hard driving (so I have an excuse to shove an LS1 in it) I take it to redline each and every time I take it out of the garage. I have also flogged the car in every way at the track for the last four years ... redlining it to the point of the rev limiter shutting down cylinders (not on purpose, just not being observant) and spinning it out on and off track in dry weather and deep mud and rain (once again, not on purpose, but hey, when you don't learn that lifting off the throttle at speed in a corner is a bad thing, your car spins and spins!)

The motor and tranny are just amazingly resilient. I sure wish the same could be said for the crappy plastic parts all over the car and the various bushings in the mounts and suspension parts.

epapp 09-03-2015 10:37 AM

Good thing I'm not the only one...

Was in Stuttgart this past 2 weeks for work travel and the autobahn was nice (if it wasn't packed with cars). All I could think was "this would be great in my boxster". Instead, I had some turbo'd Leon (GTI wannabe).

Porsche Chick 09-03-2015 11:42 AM

Racy. Definitely. If I had wanted to go moderate, I would have kept the Lexus. :D

There are some roads I drive to specifically (4 lanes, no traffic, no side roads,) so I can go fast and see if I can gain some air at the start. May do some more auto Xing when the weather cools.

But I am always ready with the "Officer, it got away from me, I really didn't realize it could even go over 100! "

;)