Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2015, 04:08 AM   #1

Fluid leak?

Please help. I noticed after each drive a small drop of caramel colored liquid in front of the left front tire. I have attached some pictures to show what I am seeing. Can anyone help? It is the consistancy of oil. Is this a radiator leak? Thanks for any help.

springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:02 AM   #2

I was all ready to say "Spark plug O-rings" when I noticed you said *front* left tire.

The brake/clutch master cylinder sits right in that area, although it is closer to the back of the tire. If there is a small leak at the bottom of the reservoir where it sits into the top of the cylinder with an o-ring seal then possibly some fluid could drip out, and maybe get on the tire and get moved to the front of the wheel well liner and drip down. Another possibility might be the brake caliper or bleed screw weeping some brake fluid which would drip down onto the wheel and get spun forward.

There is not really that much else up there, there are some radiator tubes that go near there but I wouldn't think it would be caramel colored/oil like. What does it feel/smell like? If you open the coolant cap in the rear trunk does it look like that fluid there? Does it match the fluid in the master cylinder?

Master cylinder: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/48-BRAKES-Bleeding_Brakes/48-BRAKES-Bleeding_Brakes.htm

Coolant: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/29-WATER-Flush/29-WATER-Flush.htm

Power steering? I don't think it routes that close to the front of the car.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:17 AM   #3

Thanks Steve. The fluid feels very greasy not sure if there's much of a smell to it. It looks to be running out from under the front bumper if that's possible?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:20 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Looks like brake fluid. Only other fluids up front are washer and coolant.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:37 AM   #5

If you look between the spokes of the wheel onto the inner barrel do you see anything there? Also up on the wheel well liner. Those are places that brake fluid could get spun to and drip down.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:19 AM   #6

Hi from the UK.

Brake fluid smells like brake fluid, the ester based oil used in air conditioning doesn't smell of anything and is very slippery.

It's in the right place on the floor to be weeping from a joint near the condenser.

Give it a sniff :-)
Robinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinm View Post
Hi from the UK.

Brake fluid smells like brake fluid, the ester based oil used in air conditioning doesn't smell of anything and is very slippery.

It's in the right place on the floor to be weeping from a joint near the condenser.

Give it a sniff :-)
Or condensation from near the condenser. I just paid a diagnostic charge last week to find out that my leak in that area was condensation.

Have you been running the AC lately?
Merlotsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #8

Yes, I have been running the air conditioning lately it's been very hot here in Delaware I've also noticed some Clear colored water near the center of the car from condensation. If it is condensation why would it be a brown oily substance?
Old 07-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #9

Garage
Most likely leaking from the condenser connections
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #10

Update: The left radiator had a small hole in it. The reason the drop on the floor was brown and slimy was because of rust where the hole was. I had the radiator replaced along with a new water pump, thermostat and all the hoses. The temp gauge is now running about 10 degrees cooler. It was the original pump, thermostat and hoses with 57,000 miles on the odometer. The car is a 1999 so I'm glad I got everything changed.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:40 AM   #11
Beginner

Garage
Nice. Glad you got it fixed.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:41 AM   #12

Glad you got it identified and fixed!