Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Radio on but no sound.

Got into my 03 s today and the stereo (stock CDR-23) made no sound. The head unit turned on fine but no sound coming from speakers except a very faint high pitch noise regardless of input tried turning off and on, turning car off and on, fiddling with settings etc. Nothing worked. Thought it might have been the amp maybe. Got home from my ride and removed the fuse in row d number 9 which is marked audio system or something like that. It's a different fuse than the radio. Anyway looked at the fuse it looked fine. Put it back in and the radio now works fine. The fuse didn't look dislodged or anything when I first looked at the box. Wonder if the system just needed to be reset or something but that doesn't sound right. Anyway works now but figured I'd share in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Myoung73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:54 PM   #2

My '03 Bose does that occasionally. If I hit the disc button, it tells me there is no disc, and then the radio comes back on normally .
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:59 PM   #3

Happened to me once. Drove to work with no sound. After work, radio worked fine. Go figure.
gomarlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:53 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I have a similar issue. The radio sometimes just turns itself off. It has happened 3 or 4 times in the past year. Could be playing the radio, CD or iPod connection. Pressing the volume control back on and it works. I too have an '03 S with Bose.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #5

My '03 with the CDR-23 and Becker DSP amp did the same thing and eventually stopped working. Good excuse to upgrade the sound system. Was going to go with a double DIN navigation system but ended up putting in a cheap JVC head unit and big JBL amp.