Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #1

Turn signal stalk problem

Today I noticed that my turn signal stalk seems to be out of alignment. I can activate my left turn signal, but after the turn, it does not return to "neutral". I have to hold the stalk in the up position to get a right turn signal as it will not stay engaged.

Is this something I can fix myself? Or is it indicative of a more serious problem? The car is still under warranty. However, considering my dealership takes a minimum of two days to fix anything (and that is with an appointment), I hesitate to bring it in if its a simple DIY job.

ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:26 PM   #2

Hi,

I suspect that the pinch collar holding the Column Switches to the Column may be loose and require tightening. What position are your Switch Stalks at? They s/b between 10/11 o'clock (Turn Signal) and 1/2 o'clock (Wipers). From what you describe, I suspect they're more like 11/12 o'clock and 2/3 o'clock. If so, this confirms my suspicion and also explains the difficulty you're having with the Right Turn Indicator.

If you look under the escutcheon (box covering the Switch Stalks) on the lower right side, you'll see a square hole. You need to insert a an M5 socket on an extension into the hole and find the bolt. First loosen this bolt, you should now be able to rotate the entire Switch Assembly until it's in the proper position. Now retighten bolt. This should fix the issue. There is a fixed depth the Switch Column Assembly must be from the front of the Steering Wheel Spindle which is 55± 0.5mm, so you do not want to mve the Assembly fore/aft of it's present position, just rotate it around it's current axis.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, because of the Driver AirBag Clock Spring in the Steering Column, you want to disconnect the Battery and wait at least 1 min. before doing any work to the Column Assembly to prevent accidental discharge of the Driver AirBag. Of course, reconnect Battery once the repair is completed. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #3

Jim,

Thanks for the thorough (as usual) walkthrough. I will give it closer look in the morning, but I think you have diagnosed it correctly. And, most importantly, I appreciate the tip about the battery. An air bag deployment would really ruin my day!
ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbar2
Today I noticed that my turn signal stalk seems to be out of alignment. I can activate my left turn signal, but after the turn, it does not return to "neutral". I have to hold the stalk in the up position to get a right turn signal as it will not stay engaged....
The exact same thing happened to me couple of months back. Just that before it happened, I felt something snap inside the signal stalk.

The dealership said I broke something and the entire column stalks need to be replaced. Yes, that means your wiper, OBC, cruise as well since all are from the same unit

Since the 4 stalk (with cruise) is cheaper than the 3 stalk unit, I bought a cruise and retrofited the cruise function following instructions from renntech.org. Am a happy man today.

clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote