Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2015, 06:03 AM   #1

Garage
Double DIN installation question

I am working on installing a double DIN radio/GPS/ etc in my 99 Boxster. I have a cdr220 with factory amp in the frunk 4 speakers, 2 in doors 2 in dash. The radio came with a plug that goes into the back of the new radio and the other end has a matra adapter. I have a black plug and a yellow plug only. I think the yellow is for the speakers going to the amp. How can I adapt the speaker wiring in the yellow plug to my new radio? The new radio has 2 outputs for 4 speakers and the RCA outputs. I think I need to connect the RCA outputs to the wires in the yellow plug but now sure how or if this is possible. Can anyone advise? Also, I replaced the door/dash speakers, the originals were shot. I would also like to hook up small speakers in the rear shelf. I am thinking if I can adapt the RCA outputs from the radio to the existing wiring going to the amp I can use the other outputs to the rear shelf speakers yet to be added. I think the RCA outputs or low output so the amp can amp and the 2 wires per speaker are amped by the radio itself? I can take pics of what I have and send to someone to advise me. I just don't want to start cutting and splicing unless I have to.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:12 AM   #2

Garage
Look at the following thread and also search online for euromotorsport he had kits on eBay a bit back, I bought one that had the conversion adapters.

Installing Pioneer AVH 4000NEX with Euro Motorsport Double DIN
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #3

The thread boxster6354 referenced has some excellent information on the installation. In my opinion, the Euromotorsport kit was the way to go even if it is a little pricey.

Regarding powering the rear speakers - I bought a 6-channel amp from a 996 cabriolet and used the two additional channels to drive my rear speakers. Once that was installed, using the RCA connectors from the unit and wiring them into the Euromotorsport kit worked fine.

I bought an aftermarket speaker kit off eBay. The seller was Harvey PNP, but I don't think he makes the kits anymore. You could search on "rear speakers" and "Harvey PNP" and find some useful posts. The best way to run the cable to the rear speakers is under the door sill on the passenger side.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 08-18-2015 at 07:06 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #4

The OE radio is set up for the equivalent of front speakers only.

Your aftermarket radio provides for front and rear speakers, but you don't have rear speakers.

The AMP that you have does that but also provides a split to the door speakers, which are subwoofers and NOT rear speakers.

Without adding rear speakers, your best bet imho is to run the front outputs from your new radio to your original amp, just as was the case with your original radio.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
Look at the following thread and also search online for euromotorsport he had kits on eBay a bit back, I bought one that had the conversion adapters.

Installing Pioneer AVH 4000NEX with Euro Motorsport Double DIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
The thread boxster6354 referenced has some excellent information on the installation. In my opinion, the Euromotorsport kit was the way to go even if it is a little pricey.

Regarding powering the rear speakers - I bought a 6-channel amp from a 996 cabriolet and used the two additional channels to drive my rear speakers. Once that was installed, using the RCA connectors from the unit and wiring them into the Euromotorsport kit worked fine.

I bought an aftermarket speaker kit off eBay. The seller was Harvey PNP, but I don't think he makes the kits anymore. You could search on "rear speakers" and "Harvey PNP" and find some useful posts. The best way to run the cable to the rear speakers is under the door sill on the passenger side.
Thanks guys!

That is my thread and I would be happy to provide any answers that you have. My system install went smooth, looks great and works perfectly!
Old 08-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #6

Sorry to hijack this treat. I have the same year and OEM setting as the OP. I am asking this question in this tread b/c it it might help him too. Can we run additional speakers (rear) using the Frunk OEM amp? Can we sliced into the out wired from the amp and run wired to new rear speakers?

If not, alternatively, can exchanging the OEM amp with some aftermarket as easy as switching unit? This way we could run rear speakers without too much work, no?
CDNIcecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #7

Jump In

I ran rear speakers directly to my aftermarket head unit. I simply made a harness and ran it under the carpet and made a direct connection....it made such an incredible difference in the sound. I would go this way if I had it to do again. I ran six wires in a harness (#16 stranded) 4 for the speakers and two for future upgrades (USB charger, lighting etc)
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:53 AM   #8

Garage
Ok think I know what to do now. got the kit and adapters. I thought about getting a 6 channel amp. My question is can I use the existing harness and wiring from the radio to the 6 channel amp if I have a 4 channel amp now? And what about the output? I realize I will have to run wiring to rear speakers but will I be able to splice into the existing harness? PDwight, point well taken I might just do that. I have an aftermarket muffler (loud) and will need all the power I can get to hear the radio.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:59 AM   #9

If you want to adapt an OEM 6-channel amp, here are the instructions: Pinout for 6x40 M490 amp - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Community

Here's another useful post: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/14815-6-channel-amp-pnp-speakers.html

That would take care of the connection between your head unit and the amp. You would still need to run the wiring from the frunk to the rear shelf.

If you are interested in the OEM amp, it looks like the part number is 996.645.313.00. I would imagine that you could find one pretty inexpensively on eBay or from a recycling operation.

The OEM amps are not very high powered. I"m sure that there are better after-market amps available, but I've been satisfied with the OEM unit.

Pdwight had a good suggestion too. You may want to ask him how his balance and fade controls work with part of the system on the amp and part attached to the head unit.

Good luck
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 08-19-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #10

No problems

I simply purchased a connector for the OEM porsche harness (I have a S with door speakers and of course a amp under the frunk). The rear speakers I wired directly to the head and everything balances our nicely...it improved the sound so much
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #11

Garage
ok I plugged in the unit and started right up! But what about the blue wire? someone said its for the amp. Where do I connect the blue wire from the harness from the radio??
Old 08-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #12

If I recall correctly the blue wire from the head unit serves a dual purpose. It turns on both the antenna and the amp. If you look at this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51283-does-anyone-know-vss-wire-02-bose.html and scroll down to the 13th post, you can see my wiring. The blue wire from the head unit runs to a blue wire on the black plug of the Euromotor kit and a blue and white wire on the red plug. (There is a piece of black shrink tube on the solder joint where they come together.)

I believe the camera hooked into the brown rca connector that you can see near the red plug.

Check this thread on Renntech for more information on the wiring: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/19616-porsche-boxster-avic-d3-installation-instructions/
Old 08-22-2015, 06:00 AM   #13

Garage
blue wire connection did the trick. Now I cannot get the door speakers to work. Speakers are all new, head unit outputs are working properly. Went onto ebay and purchased a factory 6 channel amp to replace my current 4 channel amp. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:10 AM   #14

Garage
Does anyone have a template for making speaker baffle for the rear shelf speakers? I have the rear shelf storage unit. I want to take out the storage units at the ends and replace with 2 each side 3-3.5 speakers. I know I saw a template for making the baffles out of composite material but cannot find it anywhere!
Old 08-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #15

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/29236-rear-speakers-diy-guide.html

It looks like you found it a couple of years ago - you posted a reply.

You could also order the factory speaker mounts (986-551-431-00-01C and 986-551-432-00-01C). I think they are about $28 each.

Last edited by KevinH1990; 08-23-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:05 AM   #16
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
All things car audio

I have purchased several systems and widgets from this company over the years. They have really good tech support and sell budget to high end systems. They have all kind of adapters to mate cars to equipment.

Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:37 AM   #17

Garage
I am waiting for parts to come in, Amp, 4 3.5 kerwin-vega speakers, a subwoofer. made the rear speaker mounts and painted. Any suggestions on GPS antennae mounting? I see many have placed it in the cowl under the rear wiper tray. I want easy and preferably stealth. are the antennae waterproof? I also read someone snaked the wires up through one of the dash speaker covers and placed it on the black trim at the base of the windshield?
Old 08-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #18

I placed mine in the factory position underneath the infrared sensor at the center of the dash. Here are some general instructions on how to do it.

how to remove GPS sensor cover? - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Community

There are three difficult parts:

1. To access the screws that hold the unit in place, you need to pry up the defroster trim. Since you are doing it during the summer, they shouldn't be that brittle.

2. Removing the screws - I used a right-angle screwdriver from Harbor Freight: 8 Piece Right Angle Screwdriver Be careful not to drop the screws down into the defroster vents. (I didn't, but I could see how it could happen.)

3. Running the wire down the dash - Use a straightened coat hanger.

Good luck - It sounds like you are going to have a nice system.

Last edited by KevinH1990; 08-26-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #19

Garage
ok so I got the cover off the sensor and could see the flat steel plat for the antennae. I was trying to see if there was some way to snake the wire without taking everything apart but I am willing to concede. I can see the 2 screws holding the unit down. so did you just pry up the defroster covers? then take the 2 screws out? So once you are able to get the unit out is there more room to snake the gps wire down the dash?
Old 08-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
so did you just pry up the defroster covers? then take the 2 screws out? So once you are able to get the unit out is there more room to snake the gps wire down the dash?
Yes and yes

I'll search Renntech tonight and see if I can find the write up I used when I did my installation. I thought there was one on the 996 Forum.