Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2006, 09:13 AM   #1

Exhaust ticks and pings and other noises

My first post so go easy.. I recently purchased a 2000 S w/ 30,000 miles and it runs, drives and thrills like no other...BUT when I turn the car off it pings and ticks and makes some very annoying and loud noises. I did some searching and there was an old post by kiwiinneworleans in July 04 so I know that the noises are from the exhaust system cooling (also confirmed by the local Porsche dealer). Is there anything you can do to stop/reduce it? It fricken sucks to park you car and have people wonder "what's wrong with your car dude?".

IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaS
My first post so go easy.. I recently purchased a 2000 S w/ 30,000 miles and it runs, drives and thrills like no other...BUT when I turn the car off it pings and ticks and makes some very annoying and loud noises. I did some searching and there was an old post by kiwiinneworleans in July 04 so I know that the noises are from the exhaust system cooling (also confirmed by the local Porsche dealer). Is there anything you can do to stop/reduce it? It fricken sucks to park you car and have people wonder "what's wrong with your car dude?".
No one should be asking "what's wrong with your car" - dude or otherwise. All vehicles do this to some degree as the metal cools. A rear or mid-engined car is just going to be more noticeable since the exhaust exits much hotter than on a front engined vehicle (not as far to go). Plus, all of your exhaust equipment (header, cats, muffler, etc) are right near each other. A front engine car spaces that out.

If anyone asks - just tell them "Dude, that's what a REAL sports car sounds like!"

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:29 AM   #3

Easy fix... just take off your exhaust.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
Easy fix... just take off your exhaust.
Easier fix - don't drive it....

Old 04-24-2006, 10:48 AM   #5

thanks for the advice....I think I will stick to the "Dude, thats what a REAL sports car sounds like!"...
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #6

My car also makes the pinging/ticking cooling sounds after it is fully warmed up and idling. Should this be happening when the car is still on?
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #7

Metal expands when heated - contracts when cooling. So the short answer is yes.

The first thing to remember is that you're hearing/experiencing a lot of stuff with the top down that you'd never notice in a coupe or sedan. I used to freak out in my Jeep (top and doors off) because I all of a sudden smelled frying brakes or burning oil. It's never been me (although it's always good to make sure you didn't drive off with the parking brake engaged) - but with the top down you catch whiffs of that stuff.

I think you'll also notice that once the car has been run for awhile you won't hear as many ticks as it sits at a light.

Relax.