Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #21
inveniam viam aut faciam

The sad thing is that the paint and extra don't really add to the value. Everyone's idea of what modifications appeal to them are different. In my experience, a clean car with great original paint. low mileage and factory options will often have the widest appeal and therefore be worth more than a modified car even if the modified car is more fun to drive.

Like some others have said, put it on ebay with good pictures and with a reserve of the absolute bottom price you will take and see what happens. If you want to sell quickly, you need a price that motivates people to buy. As Mike said, most things on craiglist go very quickly if the price is right. If you get no inquiries within the first couple of days, chances are you are priced too high, are in the wrong market, or have a poorly written ad. Your ad seems good to me, so it is probably the price or you need to reach a wider audience, like on ebay.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #22

For comparison

I know it is not the same market, but I bought my car late last summer. It is a 2000S, and had 61K when I bought it. Original paint and completely stock. I paid, $12k for it, and split the cost of a control arm and laser alignment with the seller, another $500. So I would have found it hard to pay $11k for an older non S with more than double the mileage.
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #23

Hate to say this....

but I just bought a 98 Porsche Boxster with only 72k miles on it for 8k.

13k seems way, way too high for the miles on that car.

YMMV.

Mike
spinedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #24

Garage
Price updated. Taking the first $10,500-$11,000 that walks through the door. Really want it sold before the end of summer. 1999 PORSCHE BOXSTER
OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #25
Certified Boxster Addict

Sorry to see you go. Very nice car and good luck with the sale.

I recently sold my 1999 146,000 mile 996 C2 on eBay and only got $11,500. It was not in nearly as nice of condition as your car, but it was a 996 with 300hp and ran very, very well.

With that as a benchmark, $9K would be a decent eBay sale. Of course, local buyers might pay more but they have access to eBay too and will be using that as their yardstick.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #26

Garage
Time to say goodbye!

I'd hold onto the car if you can't get 10 for it. I hate seeing mechanically sound boxsters go for under 10 when they have been well cared for. These cars are just too good to go for under that. When I think of an 8k boxster I think of an extremely basic car from 97-99 with accident history and extremely fogged up headlights on a buy here pay here lot. No service records either. I just hate seeing clean cars go for under 10k. Hope you can get closer to what you want for the car.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I'd hold onto the car if you can't get 10 for it. I hate seeing mechanically sound boxsters go for under 10 when they have been well cared for. These cars are just too good to go for under that. When I think of an 8k boxster I think of an extremely basic car from 97-99 with accident history and extremely fogged up headlights on a buy here pay here lot. No service records either. I just hate seeing clean cars go for under 10k. Hope you can get closer to what you want for the car.
Exactly my thoughts Jake! just had a guy tell me that he'd give me 11,000 for it if he hadn't have just bought a new car
OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Personally I don't think there are any mechanically sound Boxsters or water-cooled Carreras being sold for less than $15K unless the previous owner "donated" a great deal of DIY labor and expects only to recover the cost of new parts. OTOH If someone is asking above market then I expect to see a long list of repairs that were addressed. There's a middle ground there that has to be met if you're an informed buyer.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-03-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #29

I only paid 8k

for my 98 base boxster, and it was mechanically sound and near perfect. Only thing that needed fixed was the 02 sensor. Which I already had done.

He was asking close to 9k, but I offered 8k cash. He bit. Runs great, only 72k miles. Everything works the way it's supposed to.

Not trying to be a contrarian, but that's the market (at least near me) right now. I just saw one near me post for 7k the other day. 101k miles, just had a tuneup and running well according to the ad.

Mike

Last edited by spinedoc; 08-03-2015 at 11:56 AM.
spinedoc is offline   Reply With Quote