Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

valve guide slipped in 2000 S. anyone else?

motorcity986

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2000 986 S. 43,000 flawless miles.
Had IMS/clutch proactively installed 50 miles ago at the Porsche dealer. Found no signs of old bearing failing.
50 miles later, check engine light, poor performance. Tapping/knock from engine as well. Flat bed in to dealer.
Found one of the cylinders flooded w/ fuel. At first, they thought a mass flow sensor. Nope. Dropped engine, pulled head.
2 of the 3 valve guides are sliding (can push out of cylinder by hand). Valve seat came off.
Car has never overheated or been abused.

Anyone ever hear of this happening? Nobody can figure out why???? Was there a flaw in the machining process, so sloppy fit for the valve guides?? Would it be this way on the other side?
And if so, did they find the same problem on the other cylinder head?
I am deciding if i need to have the other cylinder head pulled, dismantled and inspected while the engine is out of the car. Anothe $2000.00, so an important question.

My dealer says they have heard of this, but never seen one. I checked with an idependent Porsche mechanic. Same answer. I checked with the largest Porsche dealer in the country. Same answer. Is my car that unique?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by motorcity986; 07-22-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: update

motorcity986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

It honestly sounds like the typical "shiitake happens" scenario. This is the first time I've read about this issue.

I have little doubt Mr. Raby won't have an opinion on this or won't have seen this if it's a regular occurrence. It may even be a collateral damage issue from something more common happening.

Good luck with it.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #3

It seems peculiar that this problem would happen so soon (not even a full tank of gas) after the IMS bearing work. It makes me wonder if it wasn't caused by the IMS bearing work somehow. Sorry I can't add more light to it than that, but IMO the timing seems very peculiar.

jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote