Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #1

Porsche Boxster Roof Diagnosis! HELP

Hi guys,

I have a Boxster Tiptronic S 2004 (986).

The roof recently stopped working and we had a mechanic remove :

2 x Black push rods
2 x metal linkage with white caps

This allows me to move the roof up and down manually.

The mechanic then diagnosed the issue as being the relay that was faulty, so I have now bought an official Porsche relay and i have installed it. What i noticed straight away, is that the windows now roll down automatically and the roof light comes on in the dashboard. This makes me think at the minimum that the relay was faulty.

I now try and use the button in the car to bring the roof down and can hear something very silently happening in regards to electrics, but the rotary discs in the trunk/hood area are not moving. Baring in mind that the push rods and linkage haven't been reinstalled, should there still be some movement mechanically, or is there a sensor to prevent this until everything has been installed???????

Mechanic tested the motor at the back and said it has current going through.

If i have the push rods reinstalled should everything spring to life?

Dremzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #2

there will be no movement with no hardware linkage attached. Do not press the button anymore until you check the positon of the hardware as you may rotate the rods around and tear your foam drip trays.

Here's a link to Mike Focke's page about the top and frame. Lots of pictures too!
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/removingthetopandframe
dghii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #3

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement
dghii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:50 AM   #4

Hi Sorry I didn't mean position of the roof, I meant movement of the rotary discs that normally attach to the push rods.

With the new relay in, I am not getting any movement of these rotary discs (Driven by motor). Could it be the case because the push rods are not attached/linkage, that it doesn't work??
Old 07-22-2015, 03:06 AM   #5

Garage
The two discs that you describe have a gear box behind them. From each gear box is a small cable, those cables run towards the rear of the car and then turn towards the center of the car, attatching the the electric motor that drives them. If you hear that electric motor running, and the discs do not rotate, then connecting the rods will not fix your problem.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:32 PM   #6

Hi B Feller.

Ok so the new relay is in which is bringing the windows down, does it also control the motor?

When I press the button to take the roof down i hear a very quick electric sound, but no motor sound form the rear of the car. Is there any way to test this motor?

The mechanic told me it was the relay that was at fault and not the motor.

With the fact that the new relay is in, should the motor be working even if all the push rods/linkages are removed? I'm guessing there are no sensors to detect this, so the motor SHOULD be working??

Is there anything that could be preventing the motor from working, sensor wise?

Just to confirm, the parking brake light is on.

I do however have a problem with the transmission, it flashes between 4 and P. could this be preventing the roof motor from starting?
Old 07-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #7

Garage
The best reference for looking at the top is linked in the second post. There are multiple sensors that are involved at various stages of operation. The mechanism works on my top when the pushrods are disconnected. The top does not move, but the motor runs and the 'discs' on the side rotate and the hard cover goes up and down - but those components were connected.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #8

Yeah it didn't help very much although a great resource.

As you answered that your motor still runs when you have the push rods disconnected I think I know my problem!

Does anyone know of a way to test the motor via electrics or another electrical linkage in the car to test current to the motor to see if it's working and will make a noise? Could I maybe connect a battery charger to it?