Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #1

Vanity Mirror-passenger side question?

Is the passenger side vanity mirror supposed to have have a lighted cover? Only the drivers side on mine lights up when you open the cover..The passenger side has no cover and no light...

docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:32 AM   #2

15 views, no reply? would someone just answer yes or no? much appreciated. thanks!!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:52 AM   #3

Can't remember, I never open the vanity one lol!
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:20 AM   #4

Hi,

What is your Model Year? Prior to MY '00, lighted Vanity Mirrors were an option - M274 Vanity Mirrors Illuminated. After MY'99 these became standard. If you have one of each, a PO installed a later model Sunvisor on the Driver's side.

If you have opaque diffusers on either side of the Passenger Sunvisor vanity mirror, it is an illuminated one, but not operating.

You'd first wat to check the Bulb(s) and put a multimeter to the contacts to insure you're getting power. If no joy, you'll need to remove the Sunvisor and clean the contacts on the attachment bracket on the windshield header. For this you'll need a Philips Screwdriver and a T25 Torx Driver.

If you do not have the opaque diffusers, you can add an Illuminted Sunvisor (available on eBay), but you'll need to rig a power wire and add contacts to the attachment bracket (using a cheap Radio Shack part). I did this to mine and added a pair of the illuminated visors. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:33 AM   #5

I do have diffusers that are non-working apparently.. btw, model year 2002. Once again, thanks Jim for you help!!
Old 04-21-2006, 07:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdyh
I do have diffusers that are non-working apparently.. btw, model year 2002. Once again, thanks Jim for you help!!
Hi,

No prob. Except that if your Sunvisor has no Cover, that's a problem - the Cover is the On/Off Switch for the light and it is not available separately.

Your options are: Buy an entire Sunvisor as a replacement - PN# 986 731 032 10 -Sunvisor Right Side - $113.00 or buy a used Sunvisor (illuminated or not as they use the same cover) on eBay or the like and swap the cover to your Sunvisor.

I have a complete set of Sunvisors (non-illuminated) which I intended to sell on eBay, but only as a set. Send me a PM if interested...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #7

thanks jim,

I think i will look for a lighted passenger side sun visor as the cover is missing..I would not have minded if rather the drivers side was not working as I don't need it!