Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #1

White smoke from passenger side vent

Just as I was pulling into my driveway, I heard a rough grinding or gurgling type sound coming from the motor area and white smoke on the passenger side.

Immediately shut the engine off, and white smoke was steaming out of the right exterior vent. Oddly it didn't have that sweet coolant smell, just a faint burning, and caused condensation on the rear fender.

No warning lights and no visible leaks. Coincidentally thought I had heard an electric motor type sound running out of place from the right rear when I first set off on the drive. Otherwise just had my AC recharged, but that's the only recent work.

My initial guess is water pump, it's original, but am nervous about restarting the car (dealer is 1 mile away). I'm not sure how to proceed, any ideas?

Car is a 1999 2.5 with 98k.

Last edited by flat6pilot; 07-17-2015 at 07:01 PM.
flat6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #2

Did it have an oil burning smell or an electrical burning smell? Wondering if maybe a fan motor shorted out? (I'm just taking a wild guess). No signs of anything out of place in the engine compartment? If dealer is only a mile away, may not be a bad idea to have it towed there. Should be cheap to tow that short distance.
Viper10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper10000 View Post
Did it have an oil burning smell or an electrical burning smell? Wondering if maybe a fan motor shorted out? (I'm just taking a wild guess). No signs of anything out of place in the engine compartment? If dealer is only a mile away, may not be a bad idea to have it towed there. Should be cheap to tow that short distance.
Electrical burning only! Looked the car over and could not find any leaks or other indications of trouble.
flat6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
Could be the engine compartment fan or the SAI pump that popped on you. Hopefully that's all it is.
Best of luck.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #5

Garage
If it caused condensation on the fender then it was steam and not smoke. I would check the water pump/main coolant tube connections.

Those being fine, more suspect would be the expansion tank connections on the inside of the engine bay. You could have a split that only leaks when the system is under pressure.

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote